Heart rate monitor with logging to my PC - Is Polar the only way

Iddqdatworldonl

Guest
I've been looking at the Polar S720 but it's pretty expensiv (Don't even wanna think about the watt
measureing upgrade one can get), so my question is it really that good?

And are there alternatives which is equaly good or perhaphs better?

Kind regards

Bruno

"iddqdATworldonline.dk" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:[email protected]...
> I've been looking at the Polar S720 but it's pretty expensiv (Don't even wanna think about the
> watt measureing upgrade one can get), so my question is it really that good?
>
> And are there alternatives which is equaly good or perhaphs better?

I have co-worker who likes his HAC4, but it is also pricey.

I have thought long and hard about the 720 idea myself. On a road bike, I think it is perfect, but
a mtb is a different beast. If you want to measure power or cadence, just think about the life
expectancy to those extra parts attached to your seat tube and chainstay. If you catch a rock
wrong it is an extra 300EUR. The altitude measurement is barometer based and can be affected by
the weather as much as the altitude. It is also not sampled and stored like HR, so there is no
graph of HR -vs- altitude or climbing rate. This leaves the thermometer as a still usefull device
if you need it.

You might want to look at the 610. It has all of the HR functions of the 720 (storage, IR,
software), without the roadbike oriented bike parts. It is also cheaper.

-Dave

iddqdATworldonline.dk wrote:
> I've been looking at the Polar S720 but it's pretty expensiv (Don't even wanna think about the
> watt measureing upgrade one can get), so my question is it really that good?
>
> And are there alternatives which is equaly good or perhaphs better?
>
> Kind regards
>
> Bruno

If you like gadgets its a must, its hard to find such a feature rich monitor that fits on your
wrist. Although after using my S510 for about 18 months I can truthly say I could have bought a 50
quid HRM/Speedo and done the same training plan. Ok it wouldn't have had all the bells and whistles.

Saying that I know a serious triathlon competitor and he swears by his S710, but then he does spend
pretty much of his waking hours training so I guess its about balance. In fact I find taking along
my GPS is better as it not only plots my altitude but also my position.

I do around 60-80 miles of cycling a week (60% offroad) and around 2 hours worth of
strength/cross-training. Its a useful tool but its completelt over the top for little old me.

Saying that I like gadgets..<Chuckle>

Gyp

Gyp <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Saying that I like gadgets..<Chuckle>

Speaking of gadgets. Timex has a speed+distance watch that plots your, well speed & distance using a
GPS. It is supposed to get a HRM version this summer. The downside is that it costs as much as a GPS
and can't do normal GPS stuff.

-Dave

Dave Stocker wrote:
> Speaking of gadgets. Timex has a speed+distance watch that plots your, well speed & distance using
> a GPS. It is supposed to get a HRM version this summer. The downside is that it costs as much as a
> GPS and can't do normal GPS stuff.
>
> -Dave

Sounds like a very cool gadget..<Grin>, Think I'll go check the site..

I've always liked the Garmin digital walkie talkie GPS's which also allow you to appear on each
other display.. <CHuckle>. Great for paintball and playing catchup mountain biking <Chuckle

> I have thought long and hard about the 720 idea myself. On a road bike, I think it is perfect, but
> a mtb is a different beast. If you want to
measure
> power or cadence, just think about the life expectancy to those extra
parts
> attached to your seat tube and chainstay. If you catch a rock wrong it is an extra 300EUR. The
> altitude measurement is barometer based and can be affected by the weather as much as the
> altitude. It is also not sampled
and
> stored like HR, so there is no graph of HR -vs- altitude or climbing rate. This leaves the
> thermometer as a still usefull device if you need it.
>
> You might want to look at the 610. It has all of the HR functions of the 720 (storage, IR,
> software), without the roadbike oriented bike parts. It is also cheaper.

I have the 720 and PC interface (no power monitor options). It is a fairly interesting toy but has a
huge flaw as compared to my $30 cateye enduro - there is no way to see the current ride mileage! It
is only available once the data is downloaded. This to me is a serious oversight.

Not sure why you say the altimeter is not sampled? Mine is and plots on the PC.

The wheel sensor and HRM wireless interface have proven to be very reliable BTW.

I've places an example graph of one of my rides a couple days ago here:
http://www.johnnyhouse.com/polar.gif