Heart Rate Monitor

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Vsrst, Sep 14, 2003.

  1. Vsrst

    Vsrst Guest

    Hi, I've been lightly jogging off-and-on for years, but for a year now I've started "running". Its
    been hard. I'm in my mid 50's and do close to 30 miles a week only. I recently got a heart rate
    monitor to help keep my interest going. Once I settled on what I believed could reasonably be my Max
    HR, I used the monitor to control my long run pace. Ten miles is a long run for me. Before the
    monitor I think I was trying to run it to fast. This time it was still very hard but I finished
    feeling a little better. Not so battered. I've been using the monitor also to control shorter but
    quicker runs. Its been fun. Anyway, although it seems I've been training just to train, I eventually
    want to try a 5K and 10K. I'd like to use the monitor during the race to guide my pace, from
    beginning to end. Have any of you owners done this? How did you go about it? Thanks. Vern

    Tags:

  2. Zb

    Zb Guest

    "VSRST" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I've been lightly jogging off-and-on for years, but for a year now I've started "running". Its
    > been hard. I'm in my mid 50's and do close to 30 miles a week only. I recently got a heart rate
    > monitor to help keep my interest going. Once I settled on what I believed could reasonably be my
    Max
    > HR, I used the monitor to control my long run pace. Ten miles is a long
    run
    > for me. Before the monitor I think I was trying to run it to fast. This time it was still very
    > hard but I finished feeling a little better. Not so battered. I've been using the monitor also to
    > control shorter but quicker runs. Its been fun. Anyway, although it seems I've been training just
    > to train, I eventually want to try a 5K and 10K. I'd like to use the monitor during the race to
    > guide my pace, from beginning to end. Have any of you owners done this? How did you go about it?
    > Thanks. Vern

    I have tried it and it's very useful. Once you have used a monitor several times, you get to know
    pretty well what heart rate you can sustain for a given distance. It helps you to realise when you
    are really whacked and when you are just kidding yourself.

  3. Rupert

    Rupert Guest

    Yeah I have had the same results - after struggling to do 30 mins as i was pushing myself too hard
    very quickly worked up to 60min runs.

    Did my first 12km run last night in around 90mins so damn happy with that especially as it was on a
    fairly hilly forest track

    You might like to check out www.polarpersonaltrainer.com as that works out a good exercise program
    for use with heart rate monitors.