Heart Rate Monitor

G

I've got a Polar Coach with the sonic link to download your laps onto a computer. I struggle for 2 years to get this thing working, but I'm still struggling. I download the software, upgrade to the new version and load the patch. Here's my problem (1) I view my training and it indicate a km/h section. Do I need to buy a transponder to measure the speed? (2) Cant see any reports or graphs....Is the following available for this HRM. (speed sensor, cadence meter or altitude meter) as in the S710. or is this HRM more suitable for athletes than cyclist.

You cant get a speed censor for the polar coach, wou'll need to get atleast a s510.

Only the S410 through to the S810 can upload/download data to a pc. Other models don't have this functionality.

Vo2 - Trust me, the coach can download your training detail. There is 2 ways of doing it (1) Sonic Link/ sound through the laptop speaker or (2) The transponder picking up the sound if you download to a desktop.

Hey Pothole, I've got a COACH and have been using it for over 2 years now. I download my workouts every single day onto either my notebook or home PC - works well on either machine (prefers the desktop though). Regarding speeds and distances, you have to enter that manually as it appears on your cyclocomputer (Cat-eye, etc.). As for reporting, you initially have to format your reports, but once you do it, it is saved and you don't have to do it again unless you reinstall the software. This afternoon downloaded V3.2.0 and immediately upgraded from version 3.0.8. I've been using the software since version 2.1.1. and once I mastered it I have never had problems d/l'ing my workouts. Finally, NO !!! There is no speed sensor option for the COACH.
Post again if you have no joy.... ???

??? Right, now let's see who's the self-proclaimed top HR Brainbox on this forum....

Ocassionally my HR monitor (Polar Coach) picks up false readings > 200bpm. I've asked various fundi's this question and the answers I get are:
1. interference from other units (this happens when I'm training alone too).
2. The HR sensor band is not tight enough (tightened it, but still happens).
3. The HR monitor's batteries are going flat (changed them recently).

Finally, this one makes the most sense, I've tried it and it seems to alleviate the problem, but how will I prevent this from happening during rides ?

4. The jersey flaps against the HR sensor (due to wind).
STOP DIE HORLOSIE (for non-SA's this means STOP THE WATCH, WE HAVE FOUND IT). Now - how will I stop the jersey from flapping against the sensor ?

I once read about using tape on the HR sensor and stick it to the jersey... ;D sure, like I'll just go buy a couple of rolls masking tape and tape it to the jersey every time I go training.

Go on, PLZ tell me about your experiences with this..... :-/

Yes, this does happen very occasionally. Only lasts for a few seconds so not too much of a problem, except if you're looking for your HRmax for that session. Can't understand why jersey flapping against sensor should have any effect?!

First of all, lets discuss briefly how your HRM works.
Your heart transmits an electric pulse with each heart beat. This pulse flows into the tissues surrounding the heart and onto the body surface. The electrodes of the HRM chest strap detects the elecrtical activity of your heart and transmits it to the monitor.
Fine, so we all know that. But by understanding that the signal passed from heart to transmitter to monitor is just one of thousands of other signals been passed around us, we can appreciate the fact of interference.

So, what can cause all the interference and what can be done?
  • Keep the electrodes clean, moist and flat against the skin to ensure good conductivity
  • Crossing underneath high voltage power lines can cause erratic readings
  • How many times have you sat in the bunch when someones mobile starts ringing? (I hate them too!)
  • Vehicles that pass you (or that you pass) could have bad electrical connections. (the same interference you see on your tv when the neighbour starts his piece of junk)
  • Static electricity that builds up in your cycling jersey. Maybe get a tighter fitting top, so theres less movement.
  • Most Polar HRM's come with the 'Own Code' feature, so cross-talk is eliminated

Thanks VO2, your explanation was gr8 :D. What disappoints me is that my HR monitor worked extremely well until recently. Interferences were far-and-bewteen and the training detail was always spot on.

I've previously heard the theory that "Static electricity that builds up in your cycling jersey". It makes sense, and as you have rightly stated, get tighter fitting jerseys. If I stretch my jersey tightly when the false readings are being obtained, they revert back to the correct HR reading.

One further question - does anyone know how you can tell if the HR sensor's batteries are flat (or getting there) ?

Have you tried cleaning the electrodes? (use something like baby shampoo, nothing strong or abbrasive)
  • Wash the Polar Transmitter regularly after use with a mild soap and water solution. Dry it carefully after washing.
  • Never store the Polar Transmitter wet. Sweat and moisture can keep its electrodes wet and the transmitter activated, which shortens the battery life.
  • Store your Polar Heart Rate Monitor in a cool and dry place. Do not store it in any kind of non- breathing material, such as a plastic bag or a sports bag if it is wet.
  • Do not bend or stretch the Polar Transmitter. This may damage the electrodes.
  • Keep your Polar Heart Rate Monitor out of extreme cold (below -10 °C/ 14 °F) and heat (above 50 °C/ 122 °F).
  • Do not expose the Polar Heart Rate Monitor to direct sunlight for extended periods, such as by leaving it in a car.
  • Don't dry the transmitter in any other way than with a towel. Hard-handed handling may damage the electrodes.

:eek: Geez, VO2. Do you work for Polar or something ?
Thanks again for those tips. I wash my transmitter in a mild Dettol & water solution and dry it, as you've suggested, after usage. The sensor is close onto 3 years old now - maybe it's due for replacement, hence my question about knowing when it is going flat.

Hey Pothole, I've got a COACH and have been using it for over 2 years now. I download my workouts every single day onto either my notebook or home PC - works well on either machine (prefers the desktop though). Regarding speeds and distances, you have to enter that manually as it appears on your cyclocomputer (Cat-eye, etc.). As for reporting, you initially have to format your reports, but once you do it, it is saved and you don't have to do it again unless you reinstall the software. This afternoon downloaded V3.2.0 and immediately upgraded from version 3.0.8. I've been using the software since version 2.1.1. and once I mastered it I have never had problems d/l'ing my workouts. Finally, NO !!! There is no speed sensor option for the COACH.
Post again if you have no joy....  ???
I think the coach is more suitable for running than cycling and the only way to know when your polar needs a battery change, is when you use thr night light and the data is showing a dull grey colour. I'm technically challenged with this data download and how the software works, but it could be that I'm not really consentrating and reading carefully what is set in the manuals.(my own fault)

I read somewhere that man-made frabrics can affect the reading of the HRM. Since most jerseys are made of man-made fabrics (LYCRA), I think the flapping further aggravates this cause and hence, fu**s up the reading of your HRM.

Solution? Classic Molteni cotton jerseys! ;D

I have a Polar S510 and before that I had a Polar M52. The only time I have had problems is when going under power lines and next to the "switch boxes" at robots. A possible solution (I do this) is to wear a T-shirt under your cycling shirt. I use the Nike Dri-Fit type shirts and I have not had problems since. You might want to have both the sensor and the HRM unit batteries checked as well. Hope this helps! :D

Two suggestions for the erratic readings:

1) I noticed that when I put my transmitter on in the dark in the early mornings, I have problems. I found that I wasn't clipping the strap onto the transmitter properly which was creating a "bad fit" regardless of how much I tightened it. (I'm referring to the round plastic thingie on the strap that goes through the hole on the plastic transmitter thingie!! (Good techno speak hey!!) This was causing the transmitter strap to vibrate against my skin and give me a MaxHR reading of about 230bpm on a bumpy downhill.

2) I'm a hairy bugger and the chest hair interferes with the electrical signal between cardiac muscle and the transmitter... Solution - Sweat a lot, it enhances the connectivity between the skin and the transmitter.

Just a note, I stay near a home for quad/paraplegics, often I cycle past them while they are cruising along in their electric wheelchairs. The electrical signals from the wheelchairs really throw the readings out.

Other things that I've notice throw the readings out: Electric fences, automatic gates and garage doors, radios in police cars, fire engines, ambulances..... oh yes and the guy sucking your wheel!

Have fun, be safe, see you on the road!

Speaking of sweating more to improve the readings, try using Buh-Bump elocrtode cream. I hear it helps keep the readings accurate. :)

I used Buh bump and I found it really made things worse I got NO signal. I went back to using water (soak the diaodes in cup for a few minutes) or sometimes spit (apparently a good conduit). Personally the best product I've used to improve the signal is Axiom H.S.E. Costs about $8 from Performance Bike.

The Buh Bump caused a horrible mess all over the strap, no good. Horrible stuff. I still find I get weird problems with my HRM time to time. Sometimes drops to 80 from 160 and then back.