Heart rate monitors, bras, and irritation

jmocallaghan

Dec 27, 2003
Ok, right now I am coaching a female athlete. She has a reaction every time she wears a chest mounted heart rate monitor w/a strap. We've used polars but have not used the heart rate sports bra. Does anyone out there have a recommendation on either how to overcome this or move to a sports bra?

I wear the garmin edge heart rate monitor and chest strap no problems. I can wear it with any bra and dont get any irritation.
Its possible the irritation is from having sweat and plastic together (like a watch strap), can you cover the HR band with a thin piece of cotton or something and it still works?

Just make the strap tighter.
jmocallaghan said:
Ok, right now I am coaching a female athlete. She has a reaction every time she wears a chest mounted heart rate monitor w/a strap. We've used polars but have not used the heart rate sports bra. Does anyone out there have a recommendation on either how to overcome this or move to a sports bra?

Does she have a metal allergy? Is there any nickel touching her skin.

Sweat + nickel = rash

Polar does have special sports bras that the HRM strap fits into, so the sensor part of the strap is the only part that touches your skin... the rest of the strap lies against the outside of the bra.

I ordered this bra about a year ago because I don't like the feeling of the HRM strap against my skin, but it was extremely tight and uncomfortable so I returned it. The Web site warned that they run small, but they must run VERY small because I'm normally a M but the L felt very tight and constricting.

If you do order the Polar bras, order a much bigger size than you normally would. Or order a couple different sizes so you can be sure you have the right size... their sizing is just goofy.