Heart rate monitors - poor chest contact

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Broooz, Apr 23, 2003.

  1. Broooz

    Broooz Guest

    Please can I have your assistance. I have difficulty getting my heart rate monitor to record my
    heart rate. There are two reasons :-

    1. dry skin - I use saliva - any other suggestions?

    2. a slightly concave chest at the heart area causing the monitor to stand out from the chest - does
    anyone know of any flexible or supple bands (for around the chest) or any monitors that use an
    alternative pulse.

    Tags:

  2. Drew

    Drew Guest

    "Broooz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Please can I have your assistance. I have difficulty getting my heart rate monitor to record my
    > heart rate. There are two reasons :-
    >
    > 1. dry skin - I use saliva - any other suggestions?
    >
    > 2. a slightly concave chest at the heart area causing the monitor to stand out from the chest -
    > does anyone know of any flexible or supple bands (for around the chest) or any monitors that
    > use an alternative pulse.

    I've had similar problems with the strap. If I run with a normal running shirt or tank-top the strap
    loosens up after it's been saturated with sweat. I may be alone out there, but it works best for me
    when doing my HR training with a tri-top. Since it's a bit more snug it keeps the strap/sensor in
    place better. That works best for me anyway since I don't like the strap to be too tight.

    As far as your concaved chest, you could send Polar an email (if that's your HRM brand) and ask if
    they have any special types of straps or adaptors. I also heard that Pulse Pro came out with a HRM
    where the sensor is on the watch, getting the pulse from your wrist. I have no idea how reliable it
    is though.

    Good luck, Drew.

  3. Jimturner2

    Jimturner2 Guest

    I usually apply a very light coat of electrode gel to the pads on the chest strap. It works very
    well. I got it from a medical supply provider but drug stores might have it. You need only a very
    small amount. One tube has lasted me for over two years.

  4. Islandtime

    Islandtime Guest

    "Broooz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Please can I have your assistance. I have difficulty getting my heart rate monitor to record my
    > heart rate. There are two reasons :-
    >
    > 1. dry skin - I use saliva - any other suggestions?
    >
    > 2. a slightly concave chest at the heart area causing the monitor to stand out from the chest -
    > does anyone know of any flexible or supple bands (for around the chest) or any monitors that
    > use an alternative pulse.
    ....................................................................... Those chest straps pickup
    across the sides away from the central area , not so much in the place we have that concave part. I
    have seen a gel advertised in some of the magazines, a gel you can try, like is used for HRMs in
    hospitals. Haven't tried it.

    I sweat so much if the batteries were stronger I would probably exectrocute myself :)

    islandtime

  5. Broooz

    Broooz Guest

    Thanks for the suggestions.

  6. Jj

    Jj Guest

    You can turn the chest strap so that it is on your left side instead of in front of you

    JJ

    "Broooz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Please can I have your assistance. I have difficulty getting my heart
    rate
    > monitor to record my heart rate. There are two reasons :-
    >
    > 1. dry skin - I use saliva - any other suggestions?
    >
    > 2. a slightly concave chest at the heart area causing the monitor to stand out from the chest -
    > does anyone know of any flexible or supple bands (for around the chest) or any monitors that
    > use an alternative pulse.

  7. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Go to a medical supply place and get electrode gel. Just a dab'll do ya.

    "Broooz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Please can I have your assistance. I have difficulty getting my heart
    rate
    > monitor to record my heart rate. There are two reasons :-
    >
    > 1. dry skin - I use saliva - any other suggestions?
    >
    > 2. a slightly concave chest at the heart area causing the monitor to stand out from the chest -
    > does anyone know of any flexible or supple bands (for around the chest) or any monitors that
    > use an alternative pulse.

  8. Broooz

    Broooz Guest

    Thanks. I've tried that but I'm not sure which part of the unit is the sensor. On the Polar ones, is
    it the hard part in the centre that needs to be over your heart or is it the bits at either end of
    the plastic device. Either way, I can't get them to contact enough skin.

    "JJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > You can turn the chest strap so that it is on your left side instead of in front of you
    >
    > JJ
    >
    > "Broooz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Please can I have your assistance. I have difficulty getting my heart
    > rate
    > > monitor to record my heart rate. There are two reasons :-
    > >
    > > 1. dry skin - I use saliva - any other suggestions?
    > >
    > > 2. a slightly concave chest at the heart area causing the monitor to
    stand
    > > out from the chest - does anyone know of any flexible or supple bands
    (for
    > > around the chest) or any monitors that use an alternative pulse.

  9. Jkk

    Jkk Guest

    The central hard part of the HRM is the transmitter, the electrodes are on either side of the
    transmitter. It is the transmitters that need to be in contact with your skin. The electrode gel is
    a good suggestion. You could also experiment with different strap positions, the HRM does not have
    to be directly over your heart to pick up a signal.

    Cheers,

    JKKKKKKK

    "Broooz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks. I've tried that but I'm not sure which part of the unit is the sensor. On the Polar ones,
    > is it the hard part in the centre that needs
    > be over your heart or is it the bits at either end of the plastic device. Either way, I can't get
    > them to contact enough skin.
    >
    > "JJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > > You can turn the chest strap so that it is on your left side instead of
    in
    > > front of you
    > >
    > > JJ
    > >
    > > "Broooz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Please can I have your assistance. I have difficulty getting my heart
    > > rate
    > > > monitor to record my heart rate. There are two reasons :-
    > > >
    > > > 1. dry skin - I use saliva - any other suggestions?
    > > >
    > > > 2. a slightly concave chest at the heart area causing the monitor to
    > stand
    > > > out from the chest - does anyone know of any flexible or supple bands
    > (for
    > > > around the chest) or any monitors that use an alternative pulse.

  10. Jkk

    Jkk Guest

    OOOOOOOPS

    I meant to say that the electrodes need to be in contact with the skin not the central transmitter.

    JKKKK

    "JKK" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:%[email protected]...
    > The central hard part of the HRM is the transmitter, the electrodes are on either side of the
    > transmitter. It is the transmitters that need to be in contact with your skin. The electrode
    > gel is a good suggestion. You could also experiment with different strap positions, the HRM
    > does not have to
    be
    > directly over your heart to pick up a signal.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >

    > JKKKKKKK
    >
    > "Broooz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Thanks. I've tried that but I'm not sure which part of the unit is the sensor. On the Polar
    > > ones, is it the hard part in the centre that needs
    > > be over your heart or is it the bits at either end of the plastic
    device.
    > > Either way, I can't get them to contact enough skin.
    > >
    > > "JJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > > > You can turn the chest strap so that it is on your left side instead
    of
    > in
    > > > front of you
    > > >
    > > > JJ
    > > >
    > > > "Broooz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > rate

    > > stand
    > > (for

  11. "Broooz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Please can I have your assistance. I have difficulty getting my heart rate monitor to record my
    > heart rate. There are two reasons :-
    >
    > 1. dry skin - I use saliva - any other suggestions?

    YES, spider semen is quite good.

    If you can't get hold of spider love juice then, try buffalo urine.

    The special mineral content of the spider cum juice will give a better contact.

    > 2. a slightly concave chest at the heart area causing the monitor to stand out from the chest -
    > does anyone know of any flexible or supple bands (for around the chest) or any monitors that
    > use an alternative pulse.

    I really wonder how people like yourself manage to get dressed in the morning, manage to take a sh*t
    without assistance and manage to feed yourselves ?

    What a RIDICULOUS posting. In fact, I might mail it around the office to show the stupidity of
    triathletes.

  12. You're a fool, Walter.

    news:<[email protected]>...