Heart rate monitors - poor chest contact

Broooz

Guest
Please can I have your assistance. I have difficulty getting my heart rate monitor to record my
heart rate. There are two reasons :-

1. dry skin - I use saliva - any other suggestions?

2. a slightly concave chest at the heart area causing the monitor to stand out from the chest - does
anyone know of any flexible or supple bands (for around the chest) or any monitors that use an
alternative pulse.

"Broooz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Please can I have your assistance. I have difficulty getting my heart rate monitor to record my
> heart rate. There are two reasons :-
>
> 1. dry skin - I use saliva - any other suggestions?
>
> 2. a slightly concave chest at the heart area causing the monitor to stand out from the chest -
> does anyone know of any flexible or supple bands (for around the chest) or any monitors that
> use an alternative pulse.

I've had similar problems with the strap. If I run with a normal running shirt or tank-top the strap
loosens up after it's been saturated with sweat. I may be alone out there, but it works best for me
when doing my HR training with a tri-top. Since it's a bit more snug it keeps the strap/sensor in
place better. That works best for me anyway since I don't like the strap to be too tight.

As far as your concaved chest, you could send Polar an email (if that's your HRM brand) and ask if
they have any special types of straps or adaptors. I also heard that Pulse Pro came out with a HRM
where the sensor is on the watch, getting the pulse from your wrist. I have no idea how reliable it
is though.

Good luck, Drew.

I usually apply a very light coat of electrode gel to the pads on the chest strap. It works very
well. I got it from a medical supply provider but drug stores might have it. You need only a very
small amount. One tube has lasted me for over two years.

"Broooz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Please can I have your assistance. I have difficulty getting my heart rate monitor to record my
> heart rate. There are two reasons :-
>
> 1. dry skin - I use saliva - any other suggestions?
>
> 2. a slightly concave chest at the heart area causing the monitor to stand out from the chest -
> does anyone know of any flexible or supple bands (for around the chest) or any monitors that
> use an alternative pulse.
....................................................................... Those chest straps pickup
across the sides away from the central area , not so much in the place we have that concave part. I
have seen a gel advertised in some of the magazines, a gel you can try, like is used for HRMs in
hospitals. Haven't tried it.

I sweat so much if the batteries were stronger I would probably exectrocute myself :)

islandtime

You can turn the chest strap so that it is on your left side instead of in front of you

JJ

"Broooz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Please can I have your assistance. I have difficulty getting my heart
rate
> monitor to record my heart rate. There are two reasons :-
>
> 1. dry skin - I use saliva - any other suggestions?
>
> 2. a slightly concave chest at the heart area causing the monitor to stand out from the chest -
> does anyone know of any flexible or supple bands (for around the chest) or any monitors that
> use an alternative pulse.

Go to a medical supply place and get electrode gel. Just a dab'll do ya.

"Broooz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Please can I have your assistance. I have difficulty getting my heart
rate
> monitor to record my heart rate. There are two reasons :-
>
> 1. dry skin - I use saliva - any other suggestions?
>
> 2. a slightly concave chest at the heart area causing the monitor to stand out from the chest -
> does anyone know of any flexible or supple bands (for around the chest) or any monitors that
> use an alternative pulse.

Thanks. I've tried that but I'm not sure which part of the unit is the sensor. On the Polar ones, is
it the hard part in the centre that needs to be over your heart or is it the bits at either end of
the plastic device. Either way, I can't get them to contact enough skin.

"JJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> You can turn the chest strap so that it is on your left side instead of in front of you
>
> JJ
>
> "Broooz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Please can I have your assistance. I have difficulty getting my heart
> rate
> > monitor to record my heart rate. There are two reasons :-
> >
> > 1. dry skin - I use saliva - any other suggestions?
> >
> > 2. a slightly concave chest at the heart area causing the monitor to
stand
> > out from the chest - does anyone know of any flexible or supple bands
(for
> > around the chest) or any monitors that use an alternative pulse.

The central hard part of the HRM is the transmitter, the electrodes are on either side of the
transmitter. It is the transmitters that need to be in contact with your skin. The electrode gel is
a good suggestion. You could also experiment with different strap positions, the HRM does not have
to be directly over your heart to pick up a signal.

Cheers,

JKKKKKKK

"Broooz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Thanks. I've tried that but I'm not sure which part of the unit is the sensor. On the Polar ones,
> is it the hard part in the centre that needs
> be over your heart or is it the bits at either end of the plastic device. Either way, I can't get
> them to contact enough skin.
>
> "JJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> > You can turn the chest strap so that it is on your left side instead of
in
> > front of you
> >
> > JJ
> >
> > "Broooz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Please can I have your assistance. I have difficulty getting my heart
> > rate
> > > monitor to record my heart rate. There are two reasons :-
> > >
> > > 1. dry skin - I use saliva - any other suggestions?
> > >
> > > 2. a slightly concave chest at the heart area causing the monitor to
> stand
> > > out from the chest - does anyone know of any flexible or supple bands
> (for
> > > around the chest) or any monitors that use an alternative pulse.

OOOOOOOPS

I meant to say that the electrodes need to be in contact with the skin not the central transmitter.

JKKKK

"JKK" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:%[email protected]...
> The central hard part of the HRM is the transmitter, the electrodes are on either side of the
> transmitter. It is the transmitters that need to be in contact with your skin. The electrode
> gel is a good suggestion. You could also experiment with different strap positions, the HRM
> does not have to
be
> directly over your heart to pick up a signal.
>
> Cheers,
>

> JKKKKKKK
>
> "Broooz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Thanks. I've tried that but I'm not sure which part of the unit is the sensor. On the Polar
> > ones, is it the hard part in the centre that needs
> > be over your heart or is it the bits at either end of the plastic
device.
> > Either way, I can't get them to contact enough skin.
> >
> > "JJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> > > You can turn the chest strap so that it is on your left side instead
of
> in
> > > front of you
> > >
> > > JJ
> > >
> > > "Broooz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> > > rate

> > stand
> > (for

"Broooz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Please can I have your assistance. I have difficulty getting my heart rate monitor to record my
> heart rate. There are two reasons :-
>
> 1. dry skin - I use saliva - any other suggestions?

YES, spider semen is quite good.

If you can't get hold of spider love juice then, try buffalo urine.

The special mineral content of the spider cum juice will give a better contact.

> 2. a slightly concave chest at the heart area causing the monitor to stand out from the chest -
> does anyone know of any flexible or supple bands (for around the chest) or any monitors that
> use an alternative pulse.

I really wonder how people like yourself manage to get dressed in the morning, manage to take a sh*t
without assistance and manage to feed yourselves ?

What a RIDICULOUS posting. In fact, I might mail it around the office to show the stupidity of
triathletes.

You're a fool, Walter.

news:<[email protected]>...