Heart Rate monitors, Suunto or Polar?

Mizzy

Jun 7, 2006
Hello all,

I apologize if this topic has been beaten to death, but I was hoping to get some experienced opinions on some Heart Rate Monitors. I have been looking at the Suunto T6, the Polar S725x maybe even the Hac4 Plus. Each has both pros and cons.

The S725x seems to have the most features, some say the best software and for the price you get the bike pod, but still have to purchase a device to communicate with your computer.

The Suunto T6 is getting great reviews, and looks to be built like a rock, measures EPOC values ( a little better looking then most), and opposed to the polar it comes the device to communicate with the computer but you still have to purchase a bike pod. It is a little more expensive.

The HAC4 plus some mixed reviews from various sites but looks like a feature rich HRM. One neat feature is that is allows you to “race” against your previous stored training runs.

There is a fair amount of talk about these HRM on line, not much that compares them feature for feature very few salesmen around here really know a lot about them. But it is really hard to find anyone with experience with some of these HRM and may be able to give me a little guiding light as to which might be the correct choice.

Ideally I would like a HRM that can track all the usual bells and whistles, allow me to compare my performance to previous training sessions, indicate I have stepped outside of the proper HR zone while training, warn me of over or under training (in some form) and it is at all possible I would really like a monitor that I could use to separately track my performance at different activities for instance my performance on the bike (primarily), running, swimming, rock climbing, and I am a serious Martial artist so if I could track myself during cardio drills in the academy, that would be a big bonus.

I am sure each is a great unit it its own right, I was just hoping one of you fine people would be able to advice me about which would be the best choice or even if there is another option.

Thank you, I really do appreciate the help

Mizzy

Mizzy said:
Hello all,
Ideally I would like a HRM that can track all the usual bells and whistles, allow me to compare my performance to previous training sessions, indicate I have stepped outside of the proper HR zone while training, warn me of over or under training (in some form) and it is at all possible I would really like a monitor that I could use to separately track my performance at different activities for instance my performance on the bike (primarily), running, swimming, rock climbing, and I am a serious Martial artist so if I could track myself during cardio drills in the academy, that would be a big bonus Mizzy
I use a 625X (almost identical to the 725X) and the features you require are more than covered by the S625x/S725X and the Polar software.

Been using Polar HRMs for over 20 years and have found no reason to change

I only have used a polar 720I Good unit. You get home and read the data. My laptop had an infared port fitted no need to buy the polar unit.

I've read really mixed reviews about the HAC4. Cant comment on the Suunto. I have a Polar 720i and have to say frankly its served me wonderfully for a couple years now.

ive got a polar 725x and has been awesome. havent tried the sunnto but would reccomend going with the polar as it has years experience over sunnto. try and get a package deal on the polar - like during a sale or something. i got the watch + bike mount + cadence + speed + computer link for AUD $600.

i've not seen an exercise machine at the gym that would work with suunto. all logos i see are polar. just so you have more expanded use for the hrm outside cycling.

At my Gym they have the new lifestyle bikes with polar on them. The hrm band works ok and shows on the bike display but my 720 goes mad my heart rate goes to 250 which is a bit of a worry if you hold the watch in certain positions. My A3 has the same problem. The old machines without the HRM pads on the bars were ok. Bit annoying if you like to keep records. Also put your hand over the watch if you cycle under the big high voltage power lines or you see a big spike in HR when you get home. Apart from that I love it great and highly recomened .

Mizzy said:
The S725x seems to have the most features, some say the best software and for the price you get the bike pod, but still have to purchase a device to communicate with your computer.
i have the s725x and the IRa plug to comunicate to your pc can be any Ira plug.
your local computer store will have them.
mine cost me AUD$30, which will be around $15-$20US...

all good.

my dad bought the T6 Suunto for biking. Ive been using the s720i for 2 years now and am extremely happy with it.

The polar software is far better than the suunto software. The polar software is far more cycling specific. simple operations like splitting a file, or working on data afterwards is far easier with the polar precision software. The kalendar function is also far better.

the T6 measures the EPOC thing, which I think is not very clear. The only plus for the T6 is looks. I wear the S720i as a watch, but it isnt pretty. The T6 looks really nice.

hope this is useful