Heart Rate Monitors

"Brendo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> When buying a HRM do you look for a bicycle HRM (that does speed,
> cadence, etc) or would you rather have two devices, one for bike info,
> one for HR info?
>
> I already have the bike computer, so I figure that buying a HRM that
> does those things as well is just wasting money.
>
> Looking at a Polar F6 (rrp $249). Are there dodgy brands to look out
> for? Reasonable $$ to spend?

I got a polar S150 from a company called scalesgalore.com on the web. It has
been great and in over 4 years of use only the watch part needed a battery
change.

Fraser

On Jul 17, 10:25 am, MikeyOz <MikeyOz.2tu...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Brendo Wrote:
>
> > I can find a Garmin Edge 205 on eBay for less that the RRP of the
> > Polar F6. It comes from the US or UK, but for the price of the goods
> > and an Australian A/C adapter, I'm still in front.

> > Mmmmm ... eBay.

> > Brendo

> I assume you will probably be ok, but just check that if you purchase
> it from overseas the warrarnty is still valid in Australia, I know the
> Polar stuff is, not sure about Garmin stuff.
>
> --
> MikeyOz

Although it has just dawned on me that the Edge 205 has no heart rate
monitor, which was the whole point of this thread in the first place.
And the 305, which does have a heart rate monitor, requires a small
mortgage.

So maybe the polar CS units (200with Cadence around $220) would be the
go.

Thankyou all for your thoughts.

Brendo

Brendo wrote:
> On Jul 17, 10:25 am, MikeyOz <MikeyOz.2tu...@no-
> mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
>> Brendo Wrote:
>>
>>> I can find a Garmin Edge 205 on eBay for less that the RRP of the
>>> Polar F6. It comes from the US or UK, but for the price of the goods
>>> and an Australian A/C adapter, I'm still in front.
>>> Mmmmm ... eBay.
>>> Brendo

>> I assume you will probably be ok, but just check that if you purchase
>> it from overseas the warrarnty is still valid in Australia, I know the
>> Polar stuff is, not sure about Garmin stuff.
>>
>> --
>> MikeyOz

> Although it has just dawned on me that the Edge 205 has no heart rate
> monitor, which was the whole point of this thread in the first place.
> And the 305, which does have a heart rate monitor, requires a small
> mortgage.
>
> So maybe the polar CS units (200with Cadence around $220) would be the
> go.
>
> Thankyou all for your thoughts.
>
> Brendo

As mentioned by someone somewhere else, the 305 edge calorie reading is
done by displaced distance and altitude, not heart rate. So if I'm
busting my gut paddling my canoe at 10km/h, the edge calorie meter
thinks I've done bugger all because it assumes I've rolled along a dead
flat road at 10km/h.

Dorfus

On Jul 18, 11:19 pm, Dorfus Dippintush
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Brendo wrote:
> > On Jul 17, 10:25 am, MikeyOz <MikeyOz.2tu...@no-
> > mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:

> >> I assume you will probably be ok, but just check that if you purchase
> >> it from overseas the warrarnty is still valid in Australia, I know the
> >> Polar stuff is, not sure about Garmin stuff.

> >> --
> >> MikeyOz

> > Although it has just dawned on me that the Edge 205 has no heart rate
> > monitor, which was the whole point of this thread in the first place.
> > And the 305, which does have a heart rate monitor, requires a small
> > mortgage.

> > So maybe the polar CS units (200with Cadence around $220) would be the
> > go.

> > Thankyou all for your thoughts.

> > Brendo

> As mentioned by someone somewhere else, the 305 edge calorie reading is
> done by displaced distance and altitude, not heart rate. So if I'm
> busting my gut paddling my canoe at 10km/h, the edge calorie meter
> thinks I've done bugger all because it assumes I've rolled along a dead
> flat road at 10km/h.
>
> Dorfus

You mean it's telling you to harden the f*ck up ;-)

<[email protected]> wrote:
> Brendo wrote:
> > On Jul 17, 10:25 am, MikeyOz <MikeyOz.2tu...@no-
> > mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:

> >> I assume you will probably be ok, but just check that if you purchase
> >> it from overseas the warrarnty is still valid in Australia, I know the
> >> Polar stuff is, not sure about Garmin stuff.

> >> --
> >> MikeyOz

> > Although it has just dawned on me that the Edge 205 has no heart rate
> > monitor, which was the whole point of this thread in the first place.
> > And the 305, which does have a heart rate monitor, requires a small
> > mortgage.

> > So maybe the polar CS units (200with Cadence around $220) would be the
> > go.

> > Thankyou all for your thoughts.

> > Brendo

> As mentioned by someone somewhere else, the 305 edge calorie reading is
> done by displaced distance and altitude, not heart rate. So if I'm
> busting my gut paddling my canoe at 10km/h, the edge calorie meter
> thinks I've done bugger all because it assumes I've rolled along a dead
> flat road at 10km/h.

heartrate isn't a terribly good way to work out energy used either,
it's essentially a random number, in the context of polar (or other)
HRMs.

Bleve said:
heartrate isn't a terribly good way to work out energy used either,
it's essentially a random number, in the context of polar (or other)
HRMs.

yeah good one.....