heart rate monitors

Tkh1cpa

Guest
If you could buy only 1 HRM with as many features as possible with little regard to price, what
would it be? I'm looking for something that will be good across all disciplines and has downloadable
information.

TIA Tim

Polar 720i + Polar Power option, no question!

Rod

In article <[email protected]>, <[email protected]> wrote:
>Polar 720i + Polar Power option, no question!

The Timex might do more - the combo of the HRM, the time+speed kit, and the storage module. Does it
actually work - I have no idea. I suspect the person would look like a small transformer too.

--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

Personally, I don't think that the power option is necessary for us mere mortals (price
vs. benefit).

Tom <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Polar 720i + Polar Power option, no question!
>
> Rod
>
> Tkh1cpa wrote:
>
> >If you could buy only 1 HRM with as many features as possible with little regard to price, what
> >would it be? I'm looking for something that will
be good
> >across all disciplines and has downloadable information.
> >
> >TIA Tim

I'll have to agree with cervelo. The Polar is hard to beat for it's comprehensive set of cycling
functionality. The timex unit is geared more to runners. It'd be nice if someone would combine
both aspects.

Harry

Dr. Harry Johnson <[email protected]> wrote:
>I'll have to agree with cervelo. The Polar is hard to beat for it's comprehensive set of cycling
>functionality. The timex unit is geared more to runners. It'd be nice if someone would combine
>both aspects.

For functionality, I'm sure the Polar is better done. They've been at it for a while, while Timex is
still a bit scatter brained. The speed+distance unit I have has some odd design choices. My polar
M52 is simple and straightfoward.

But if the question is just about feature set, Timex might offer more for the trigeek with a wallet.

--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

DrClean <[email protected]> wrote:
>Does the Timex speed +distance have a heart rate monitor attached? I didn't read that in any of
>their ad's. If it does, is it fully water proof (I assume you couldn't dothe distance bit in
>the water)?

No, it only measures speed and distance using gps. However, timex also has a HRM, and it also has a
data collection device that interfaces with both of these. In theory, you can tie them all together.

I suspect it's closer to trying to play PC games on a Mac emulation program.

--
Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

"Jason O'Rourke" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Dr. Harry Johnson <[email protected]> wrote:
> >I'll have to agree with cervelo. The Polar is hard to beat for it's comprehensive set of cycling
> >functionality. The timex unit is geared more to runners. It'd be nice if someone would combine
> >both aspects.

<snip> , while Timex is still a bit scatter brained. The
> speed+distance unit I have has some odd design choices.
</snip>

Sorry I missed the beggining of this post.

Does the Timex speed +distance have a heart rate monitor attached? I didn't read that in any of
their ad's. If it does, is it fully water proof (I assume you couldn't dothe distance bit in
the water)?

Thanks

Wayne
--
DrClean www.DrClean.co.uk The Best Fabric Cleaning Resource on the Web

Easy... Polar S710 with the accessories... that is what I use and have been messing with these since
1985. I use FitCentric UltraCoach for downloading, of course.

"Tkh1cpa" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]

> If you could buy only 1 HRM with as many features as possible with little regard to price, what
> would it be? I'm looking for something that will be good across all disciplines and has
> downloadable information.
>
> TIA Tim

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jason O'Rourke" <[email protected]> Newsgroups:
rec.sport.triathlon Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2003 1:11 AM Subject: Re: heart rate monitors

> DrClean <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Does the Timex speed +distance have a heart rate monitor attached? I
didn't
> >read that in any of their ad's. If it does, is it fully water proof (I assume you couldn't dothe
> >distance bit in the water)?
>
> No, it only measures speed and distance using gps. However, timex also
has
> a HRM, and it also has a data collection device that interfaces with both of these. In theory, you
> can tie them all together.
>
> I suspect it's closer to trying to play PC games on a Mac emulation program.
>
> --
> Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

Timex doesn't have a speed+distance and HRM YET. Operative word is yet. I read an article earlier
this year that stated Timex is slated to come out with one sometime this summer.

As for playing PC games, not really. The only info you get on the GPS is speed, pace, distance.
You don't get position. Interesting idea, though, just in case you are out running or cycling
and get lost.

PuddyRat

Speaking of HRM's, has anyone tried the Fitsense HRM/speedometer? I really like the idea of getting
to measure my speed and distance as well as heart rate, but am wary as I haven't found any
press/writeups stating how reliable it is over time.

Also, are there any other HRM+speed combo's out there (besides the aforementioned timex which
doesn't exist yet).

news:[email protected]...

"Jean G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:gYrfa.197248$3D1.42863@sccrnsc01...
> Speaking of HRM's, has anyone tried the Fitsense HRM/speedometer? I really like the idea of
> getting to measure my speed and distance as well as heart rate, but am wary as I haven't found any
> press/writeups stating how
reliable
> it is over time.
>
> Also, are there any other HRM+speed combo's out there (besides the aforementioned timex which
> doesn't exist yet).
>
> thanks, J

Personally, I think the biggest drawback to the fitsense is the need to calibrate it on a track. I
haven't done all the research, but it's part of what made me choose the GPS. What happens to the
calibration if cadence or stride length changes? You might want to look into that before purchasing.

Just a thought.

Susan in WA