heart rate monitors

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Tkh1cpa, Mar 21, 2003.

  1. Tkh1cpa

    Tkh1cpa Guest

    If you could buy only 1 HRM with as many features as possible with little regard to price, what
    would it be? I'm looking for something that will be good across all disciplines and has downloadable
    information.

    TIA Tim

    Tags:

  2. rodr

    rodr Guest

    Polar 720i + Polar Power option, no question!

    Rod

  3. In article <[email protected]>, <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Polar 720i + Polar Power option, no question!

    The Timex might do more - the combo of the HRM, the time+speed kit, and the storage module. Does it
    actually work - I have no idea. I suspect the person would look like a small transformer too.

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

  4. Tom G

    Tom G Guest

    Personally, I don't think that the power option is necessary for us mere mortals (price
    vs. benefit).

    Tom <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Polar 720i + Polar Power option, no question!
    >
    > Rod
    >
    > Tkh1cpa wrote:
    >
    > >If you could buy only 1 HRM with as many features as possible with little regard to price, what
    > >would it be? I'm looking for something that will
    be good
    > >across all disciplines and has downloadable information.
    > >
    > >TIA Tim

  5. I'll have to agree with cervelo. The Polar is hard to beat for it's comprehensive set of cycling
    functionality. The timex unit is geared more to runners. It'd be nice if someone would combine
    both aspects.

    Harry

  6. Dr. Harry Johnson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I'll have to agree with cervelo. The Polar is hard to beat for it's comprehensive set of cycling
    >functionality. The timex unit is geared more to runners. It'd be nice if someone would combine
    >both aspects.

    For functionality, I'm sure the Polar is better done. They've been at it for a while, while Timex is
    still a bit scatter brained. The speed+distance unit I have has some odd design choices. My polar
    M52 is simple and straightfoward.

    But if the question is just about feature set, Timex might offer more for the trigeek with a wallet.

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

  7. DrClean <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Does the Timex speed +distance have a heart rate monitor attached? I didn't read that in any of
    >their ad's. If it does, is it fully water proof (I assume you couldn't dothe distance bit in
    >the water)?

    No, it only measures speed and distance using gps. However, timex also has a HRM, and it also has a
    data collection device that interfaces with both of these. In theory, you can tie them all together.

    I suspect it's closer to trying to play PC games on a Mac emulation program.

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

  8. Drclean

    Drclean Guest

    "Jason O'Rourke" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Dr. Harry Johnson <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >I'll have to agree with cervelo. The Polar is hard to beat for it's comprehensive set of cycling
    > >functionality. The timex unit is geared more to runners. It'd be nice if someone would combine
    > >both aspects.

    <snip> , while Timex is still a bit scatter brained. The
    > speed+distance unit I have has some odd design choices.
    </snip>

    Sorry I missed the beggining of this post.

    Does the Timex speed +distance have a heart rate monitor attached? I didn't read that in any of
    their ad's. If it does, is it fully water proof (I assume you couldn't dothe distance bit in
    the water)?

    Thanks

    Wayne
    --
    DrClean www.DrClean.co.uk The Best Fabric Cleaning Resource on the Web

  9. Easy... Polar S710 with the accessories... that is what I use and have been messing with these since
    1985. I use FitCentric UltraCoach for downloading, of course.

    "Tkh1cpa" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]

    > If you could buy only 1 HRM with as many features as possible with little regard to price, what
    > would it be? I'm looking for something that will be good across all disciplines and has
    > downloadable information.
    >
    > TIA Tim

  10. Puddyrat

    Puddyrat Guest

    ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jason O'Rourke" <[email protected]> Newsgroups:
    rec.sport.triathlon Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2003 1:11 AM Subject: Re: heart rate monitors

    > DrClean <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >Does the Timex speed +distance have a heart rate monitor attached? I
    didn't
    > >read that in any of their ad's. If it does, is it fully water proof (I assume you couldn't dothe
    > >distance bit in the water)?
    >
    > No, it only measures speed and distance using gps. However, timex also
    has
    > a HRM, and it also has a data collection device that interfaces with both of these. In theory, you
    > can tie them all together.
    >
    > I suspect it's closer to trying to play PC games on a Mac emulation program.
    >
    > --
    > Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

    Timex doesn't have a speed+distance and HRM YET. Operative word is yet. I read an article earlier
    this year that stated Timex is slated to come out with one sometime this summer.

    As for playing PC games, not really. The only info you get on the GPS is speed, pace, distance.
    You don't get position. Interesting idea, though, just in case you are out running or cycling
    and get lost.

    PuddyRat

  11. Jean G

    Jean G Guest

    Speaking of HRM's, has anyone tried the Fitsense HRM/speedometer? I really like the idea of getting
    to measure my speed and distance as well as heart rate, but am wary as I haven't found any
    press/writeups stating how reliable it is over time.

    Also, are there any other HRM+speed combo's out there (besides the aforementioned timex which
    doesn't exist yet).

    thanks, J "Tkh1cpa" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > If you could buy only 1 HRM with as many features as possible with little regard to price, what
    > would it be? I'm looking for something that will be
    good
    > across all disciplines and has downloadable information.
    >
    > TIA Tim

  12. Puddyrat

    Puddyrat Guest

    "Jean G" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Speaking of HRM's, has anyone tried the Fitsense HRM/speedometer? I really like the idea of
    > getting to measure my speed and distance as well as heart rate, but am wary as I haven't found any
    > press/writeups stating how
    reliable
    > it is over time.
    >
    > Also, are there any other HRM+speed combo's out there (besides the aforementioned timex which
    > doesn't exist yet).
    >
    > thanks, J

    Personally, I think the biggest drawback to the fitsense is the need to calibrate it on a track. I
    haven't done all the research, but it's part of what made me choose the GPS. What happens to the
    calibration if cadence or stride length changes? You might want to look into that before purchasing.

    Just a thought.

    Susan in WA