Heart Rate Monitors

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peter Connolly

Any recommendations for a cost-effective heart rate monitor I can buy on-line? I've never used one
before (I regard any pulse rate over zero as good at present!), so I don't know what sort of
features to expect. In an ideal world, the monitor would be able to be fixed to my bike next to the
speedo. Also, how is the 'sending' device attached? I've seen some which belt around the chest, but
are there other options?

Regards,

Pete.

---------------------------
Peter Connolly Acute Computing Derby UK

"Peter Connolly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Any recommendations for a cost-effective heart rate monitor I can buy on-line? I've never used one
> before (I regard any pulse rate over zero as good at present!), so I don't know what sort of
> features to expect. In an ideal world, the monitor would be able to be fixed to my bike next to
> the speedo. Also, how is the 'sending' device attached? I've seen some which belt around the
> chest, but are there other options?
>
> Regards,
>
> Pete.
>
> ---------------------------
> Peter Connolly Acute Computing Derby UK
>
>
>
Have a look at the MIO - it's a watch that has a pulse meter in it - to check the beats per minute
you press two buttons with your index and forefinger - the rate then displays.

You set it up with age/weight/resting heart rate etc and it then tells you the percentage that you
are running at. (I hit 105 per cent on a steep climb so stopped for a rest!)

I looked at the Polar type HRMs but really didn't like the chest strap transmitter - and as my need
for pulse monitoring was only to ensure that I wasn't "overdoing it" then the MIO did the job - when
I want to check (or feel the need) a quick dab on the buttons and there's the result - and it tells
the time too! Cost about 100 quid, bought mine in John Lewis.

Have a look at http://www.heartratemonitor.co.uk/mio.html for the info. It also has all sorts of
calorie counting stuff too with tables for foods etc - not used that, I just eat!

RG

"RG" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> >
> Have a look at the MIO - it's a watch that has a pulse meter in it - to check the beats per minute
> you press two buttons with your index and forefinger - the rate then displays. <snip> RG
>
>
The disadvantage of this for cycling use is that you have to hold the buttons. i would go for one
with a chest transmitter. I got one from Lidl for about £15. This was a special offer last year so
they wont have any now. Before that I had the cheapest Polar which is just a display unit and that
did me fine as well. All the best.

Stan Cox

I have the RunTec one from Lidl, does the job, worth the money IMHO. I used to have a Polar and I
found that the receiver sometimes didn't get a signal from the transmitter, this has never happened
with the RunTec. I got a new one as the cost of replacing the battery in the Polar would be almost
as much as a cheap Polar and twice as much as the RunTec

Martin "Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> "RG" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > >
> > Have a look at the MIO - it's a watch that has a pulse meter in it - to check the beats per
> > minute you press two buttons with your index and forefinger - the rate then displays. <snip> RG
> >
> >
> The disadvantage of this for cycling use is that you have to hold the
> buttons. i would go for one with a chest transmitter. I got one from Lidl
> for about £15. This was a special offer last year so they wont have any
now.
> Before that I had the cheapest Polar which is just a display unit and that did me fine as well.
> All the best.
>
> Stan Cox

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 20:59:25 +0100, "M Series" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have the RunTec one from Lidl, does the job, worth the money IMHO. I used to have a Polar and I
>found that the receiver sometimes didn't get a signal from the transmitter, this has never happened
>with the RunTec. I got a new one as the cost of replacing the battery in the Polar would be almost
>as much as a cheap Polar and twice as much as the RunTec

Yep, I can vouch for the 15 quid Lidl one too. Had mine for about 10 months and it's always given
sterling service. The only features I use are the current heart rate display and average HR over
the workout.

It has plenty of other features too, adjustable training zones with alarms, stopwatch, calorie
counting, memory for time spent in zones etc but I don't find much use for these, ymmv of course.

It comes with an adapter which you can use to mount the monitor to your handlebars, I think
most HRM's do.

Problem is of course if you want a Lidl or Aldi job you'll just have to wait until they come round
again on the specials list, and that could be anytime, a couple of weeks or several months *shrug*

Most of the branded HRM's seem very expensive to me in comparison.

Bob
--
Mail address is spam trapped To reply by email remove the beverage

>> the monitor would be able to be fixed to my bike next to the speedo. Also, how is the 'sending'
>> device attached? I've seen
some which
>> belt around the chest, but are there other options?

>Have a look at the MIO - it's a watch that has a pulse meter in it - to check the beats per minute
>you press two buttons with your index and forefinger - the rate then displays. Cost about 100 quid,
>bought mine in John Lewis.

£100 for a HRM hat you have to stop exercising to use?!?! Was there big windows in the shop? They
seen you coming m8. :)

My take - A Polar A1 including bike mount is £40. I'm not sure if the originally poster wants to
take his hands off the handlebars to take his pulse... ;) Therefore the entry level Polar one will
do the job superbly.

Of course... £169 gets you the 610i... which has SO many genuinely useful features.

Or £220 gets you the bike specific 710i...which I'm considering upgrading my 610i to, now that I've
bought a bike for fitness yesterday.

In message <[email protected]>, Peter Connolly
<[email protected]> writes
>Any recommendations for a cost-effective heart rate monitor I can buy on-line? I've never used one
>before (I regard any pulse rate over zero as good at present!), so I don't know what sort of
>features to expect. In an ideal world, the monitor would be able to be fixed to my bike next to the
>speedo. Also, how is the 'sending' device attached? I've seen some which belt around the chest, but
>are there other options?
>
>Regards,
>
>Pete.
>
>---------------------------
>Peter Connolly Acute Computing Derby UK
>
>

If your intending it for bike use, try and search out the small handful of bike computers that have
HRM in built. They'll all use a chest strap transmitter, but thats no great problem. I find its far
better to have the numbers right in front of you rather than trying look at a watch type on the
move. Cateye do a couple of bike HRMs, and I think one of the German (?) companies do as well, VDO
or cyclo or some such. My Cateye HB100 is about 4 years old now and still working fine with over
8000 miles logged.

>

--
Steven Briggs

Couldn't see it, I'm afraid Den. They wanted me to login to see the info, which I didn't want to do.

I've purchased a Polar S150 now, as it seems to have all the functions that would be useful to me.

Regards,

Pete.

"Dennis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> "Peter Connolly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Any recommendations for a cost-effective heart rate monitor I can buy on-line?
>
>
http://thedvdforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=182762&highlight=m
> onitor I can't recommend it, i've only just ordered one :) Den

Thanks for the info to everyone.

My final decision was to go for a Polar S150 - which has a simple bike computer built in. I'm not
overjoyed by the fact that the bike fixing is more or less 'Strap it around the handlebars', but
they don't seem to do any more aesthetically pleasing designs. It's better than having to wear a
watch, but I don't wearing those anyway.

My next challenge is to get to know how it works, so I don't ride into the back of a car whilst
trying to adjust something!

Regards,

Pete.

Peter Connolly Derby UK

"Steven Briggs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> In message <[email protected]>, Peter Connolly
> <[email protected]> writes
> >Any recommendations for a cost-effective heart rate monitor I can buy on-line? I've never used
> >one before (I regard any pulse rate over zero as good at present!), so I don't know what sort of
> >features to expect. In an ideal world, the monitor would be able to be fixed to my bike next to
> >the speedo. Also, how is the 'sending' device attached? I've seen some which belt around the
> >chest, but are there other options?
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Pete.
> >
> >---------------------------
> >Peter Connolly Acute Computing Derby UK
> >
> >
>
> If your intending it for bike use, try and search out the small handful of bike computers that
> have HRM in built. They'll all use a chest strap transmitter, but thats no great problem. I find
> its far better to have the numbers right in front of you rather than trying look at a watch type
> on the move. Cateye do a couple of bike HRMs, and I think one of the German (?) companies do as
> well, VDO or cyclo or some such. My Cateye HB100 is about 4 years old now and still working fine
> with over 8000 miles logged.
>
> >
>
> --
> Steven Briggs

Peter Connolly <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Thanks for the info to everyone.
>
> My final decision was to go for a Polar S150 - which has a simple bike computer built in. I'm not
> overjoyed by the fact that the bike fixing is more or less 'Strap it around the handlebars', but
> they don't seem to do
any
> more aesthetically pleasing designs. It's better than having to wear a watch, but I don't wearing
> those anyway.
>
> My next challenge is to get to know how it works, so I don't ride into the back of a car whilst
> trying to adjust something!
>
> Regards,
>
> Pete.
>

Any problems, report back on here. I've been using Polars for a few years now (currently an S710).
Hopefully I can solve most of your queries should any arise.

--
Mark

---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.465 / Virus Database: 263 - Release Date: 25/03/03

My only problem at the moment is that I'm so unfit! It's a real eye-opener seeing how high my
resting heart rate is (80-85), with a jump to 120 just running up the stairs (back to normal after
less than 30 seconds). Still, the whole idea is to get into shape (slightly less ovoid would do!),
so at least it's giving me an incentive!

Regards,

Pete.

"MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> Peter Connolly <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Thanks for the info to everyone.
> >
> > My final decision was to go for a Polar S150 - which has a simple bike computer built in. I'm
> > not overjoyed by the fact that the bike fixing is more or less 'Strap it around the handlebars',
> > but they don't seem to do
> any
> > more aesthetically pleasing designs. It's better than having to wear a watch, but I don't
> > wearing those anyway.
> >
> > My next challenge is to get to know how it works, so I don't ride into
the
> > back of a car whilst trying to adjust something!
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Pete.
> >
>
>
> Any problems, report back on here. I've been using Polars for a few years now (currently an S710).
> Hopefully I can solve most of your queries
should
> any arise.
>
>
> --
> Mark
> ____________________________
> Practice does not make perfect... Perfect practice makes perfect
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.465 / Virus Database: 263 - Release Date: 25/03/03

Peter Connolly <[email protected]> wrote:
> My only problem at the moment is that I'm so unfit! It's a real eye-opener seeing how high my
> resting heart rate is (80-85), with a jump to 120 just running up the stairs (back to normal after
> less than 30 seconds). Still, the whole idea is to get into shape (slightly less ovoid would do!),
> so at least it's giving me an incentive!
>

That doesn't necessarily mean you are unfit. Some people are fast beaters, some slow. Its probably
not your real resting rate if its taken sitting around before you run upstairs. That should be taken
first thing in the morning when you wake up for example. Heart rate recovery is a better indicator.

I used to use an HRM but gave up and now just listen to my body and how it feels. It tells me more
than the HRM ever told me.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
Bernard Shaw

<snip>
> Its probably not your real resting rate if its taken sitting around before you run upstairs. That
> should be taken first thing in the morning when you wake up for example. Heart rate recovery is a
> better indicator.
>
> I used to use an HRM but gave up and now just listen to my body and how it feels. It tells me more
> than the HRM ever told me.
</snip>

I'm going to follow the instructions and do a resting heart rate for the next few mornings, to get a
more accurate figure.

I did try listening to my body, but it kept saying "Eat more cakes"!!

Regards,

Pete.

Peter Connolly <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> I did try listening to my body, but it kept saying "Eat more cakes"!!
>

See, I told you it would tell you more than an HRM ever would ;-)

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
Bernard Shaw

"Paul Allen" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >> the monitor would be able to be fixed to my bike next to the speedo. Also, how is the
> >> 'sending' device attached? I've seen
> some which
> >> belt around the chest, but are there other options?
>
>
>
> >Have a look at the MIO - it's a watch that has a pulse meter in it - to check the beats per
> >minute you press two buttons with your index and forefinger - the rate then displays. Cost about
> >100 quid, bought mine in John Lewis.
>
>
> £100 for a HRM hat you have to stop exercising to use?!?! Was there big windows in the shop? They
> seen you coming m8. :)
>
> My take - A Polar A1 including bike mount is £40. I'm not sure if the originally poster wants to
> take his hands off the handlebars to take his pulse... ;) Therefore the entry level Polar one will
> do the job superbly.
>
> Of course... £169 gets you the 610i... which has SO many genuinely useful features.
>
> Or £220 gets you the bike specific 710i...which I'm considering upgrading my 610i to, now that
> I've bought a bike for fitness yesterday.
>

The Polar Advantage NV (used by Boardman) may be expensive, but it beats all the later micky mouse
"S series". I've used mine since late 95.

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 02:54:37 +0100, "Neil D" <n**@NOmail.com> wrote:

>The Polar Advantage NV beats all the later micky mouse "S series".

No doubt it's good, but it's hard to get locally, having been replaced by the 810i I think.

In what way are the latest "S" range monitors "mickey mouse"?

> On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 02:54:37 +0100, "Neil D" <n**@NOmail.com> wrote:
>
>
> >The Polar Advantage NV beats all the later micky mouse "S series".
>
>
> No doubt it's good, but it's hard to get locally, having been replaced by the 810i I think.
>
> In what way are the latest "S" range monitors "mickey mouse"?
>
>

Probably a wrong phrase to use, as people might be offended who own one. Just my opinion when I
intended buying another monitor, the 810 looked like a toy in comparison. There I go again. The
Vantage is available by mail order, the problem is its interface, its expensive, uses a serial port
(slow, not fitted to later pc's), and is used on very few of the monitors, 2 I think. I do believe
there's a usb interface out now tho.

Originally posted by Neil D
> On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 02:54:37 +0100, "Neil D" <n**@NOmail.com> wrote:
>
>
> >The Polar Advantage NV beats all the later micky mouse "S series".
>
>
> No doubt it's good, but it's hard to get locally, having been replaced by the 810i I think.
>
> In what way are the latest "S" range monitors "mickey mouse"?
>
>

Probably a wrong phrase to use, as people might be offended who own one.
Shame. I was hoping to buy a HRM to match my Mickey Mouse watch.

Chris

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 00:27:57 +0100, "Neil D" <n**@NOmail.com> wrote:

>"Paul Allen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> In what way are the latest "S" range monitors "mickey mouse"?

>Probably a wrong phrase to use, as people might be offended who own one. Just my opinion when I
>intended buying another monitor, the 810 looked like a toy in comparison.

I use the 610i, and yes, it LOOKS cheap, but it PERFORMS superbly.

Status
Not open for further replies.