Heart-rate question ...

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Rs, Sep 21, 2003.

  1. Rs

    Rs Guest

    I am a 56, almost 57 y.o. male who has been learning to run since Spring of 2003. Currently I (try
    to) work-out 3 mornings a week and jog 3 mornings a week. My running consists of going around a
    track in the park twice. That works out to about 4.4km or 2.75miles. Currently it takes me on
    average a bit more than about 28 minutes ... to a bit more than 29 minutes. My heart-rate will range
    from the mid-150's to low 160's ... maybe 165. I feel OK.

    Does that sound "normal" ? Or what is a normal heart rate for someone about my age doing that
    sort of run?

    Thanks!

    -RS-

    Tags:

  2. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    RS wrote:

    > I am a 56, almost 57 y.o. male who has been learning to run since Spring of 2003. Currently I (try
    > to) work-out 3 mornings a week and jog 3 mornings a week. My running consists of going around a
    > track in the park twice. That works out to about 4.4km or 2.75miles. Currently it takes me on
    > average a bit more than about 28 minutes ... to a bit more than 29 minutes. My heart-rate will
    > range from the mid-150's to low 160's ... maybe 165. I feel OK.
    >
    > Does that sound "normal" ? Or what is a normal heart rate for someone about my age doing that
    > sort of run?

    There are no standards vs age. So much of this has to do with genetics and what you did physically,
    or more specifically cardio, for your first 55 years. The good news, it will improve over time. If
    your work-out three times a week does not work your heart your running three times a week will be
    minimal to make improvements. Following a 5% mileage increase policy, try to increase the distance
    and/or the number of runs per week. How far to take this depends on what your goals(strickly health,
    weight control, running races,

    I'm 58 and the number of 50 year olds that compete in this age group is amazingly yet
    delightfully large.

    --
    Doug Freese [email protected]

  3. In article <[email protected]>, RS wrote:
    > I am a 56, almost 57 y.o. male who has been learning to run since Spring of 2003. Currently I (try
    > to) work-out 3 mornings a week and jog 3 mornings a week. My running consists of going around a
    > track in the park twice. That works out to about 4.4km or 2.75miles. Currently it takes me on
    > average a bit more than about 28 minutes ... to a bit more than 29 minutes. My heart-rate will
    > range from the mid-150's to low 160's ... maybe 165. I feel OK.
    >
    > Does that sound "normal" ? Or what is a normal heart rate for someone about my age doing that
    > sort of run?

    It's hard to say unless we know your maximum heart rate (age based charts are too unreliable)

    As a general rule, a training run should be much easier than an all-out effort. The pace you're
    running at seems pretty leisurely, and your heart rate is sufficiently high, and you don't appear to
    be overexerting yourself. So it looks OK to me.

    Cheers,

  4. Roger 2k

    Roger 2k Guest

    RS wrote in message ...
    >I am a 56, almost 57 y.o. male who has been learning to run since Spring of 2003. Currently I (try
    >to) work-out 3 mornings a week and jog 3 mornings a week. My running consists of going around a
    >track in the park twice. That works out to about 4.4km or 2.75miles. Currently it takes me on
    >average a bit more than about 28 minutes ... to a bit more than 29 minutes. My heart-rate will
    >range from the mid-150's to low 160's ... maybe 165. I feel OK.
    >
    >Does that sound "normal" ? Or what is a normal heart rate for someone
    about
    >my age doing that sort of run?
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    >-RS-

    That sounds very low to me. I'm 46 and today on a training run I ran the first 3 miles with splits
    of 7:30, 7:15 and 6:55. Halfway through the 3rd mile, before I started my final surge, I was seeing
    194 on my HRM. At the end of the 3rd mile my HR was 199.

    It wasn't even a race, yet those numbers are about the same as I saw on a
    20:18 5k back in July. I guess I'm further out of shape than I thought.

  5. Dot

    Dot Guest

    RS wrote:
    > I am a 56, almost 57 y.o. male who has been learning to run since Spring of 2003. Currently I (try
    > to) work-out 3 mornings a week and jog 3 mornings a week. My running consists of going around a
    > track in the park twice. That works out to about 4.4km or 2.75miles. Currently it takes me on
    > average a bit more than about 28 minutes ... to a bit more than 29 minutes. My heart-rate will
    > range from the mid-150's to low 160's ... maybe 165. I feel OK.
    >
    > Does that sound "normal" ? Or what is a normal heart rate for someone about my age doing that
    > sort of run?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > -RS-

    Let's see, 3 replies so far, 3 different answers. Let's make it 4 ;)

    Seriously, if you're just running for fun or fitness or just taking first steps toward something
    more, run at a conversational pace, if you aren't already, and see how that compares. Younger people
    like Roger 2k might be expected to have higher heart rates, but not always trues. FWIW, I'm 56
    female and your heart rate is about where I do aerobic speed (talking is difficult), rather than an
    easy or long run.

    Dot

  6. Everyone's heart has a predetermined amount of beats, before quitting. What's your hurry?

  7. Don Kirkman

    Don Kirkman Guest

    It seems to me I heard somewhere that RS wrote in article <[email protected]>:

    >I am a 56, almost 57 y.o. male who has been learning to run since Spring of 2003. Currently I (try
    >to) work-out 3 mornings a week and jog 3 mornings a week. My running consists of going around a
    >track in the park twice. That works out to about 4.4km or 2.75miles. Currently it takes me on
    >average a bit more than about 28 minutes ... to a bit more than 29 minutes. My heart-rate will
    >range from the mid-150's to low 160's ... maybe 165. I feel OK.

    >Does that sound "normal" ? Or what is a normal heart rate for someone about my age doing that
    >sort of run?

    As Doug says, there is no one-size-fits-all normal heart rate. You will learn what is normal for
    you, if you don't already have a good idea, by correlating your fitness level and training routine
    [i.e., pace, distance, terrain] with the way your heart responds. If you ever have a concern about
    it consult a doctor, not a chart. :)

    I'm a lot older than you, with a 25-year history of recreational and mid-pack running, and I can't
    push beyond about 165bpm even if I go all out--and that's stayed constant on treadmills and bikes
    and road runs over about 15 years. I'd be running at an almost-uncomfortable pace at 155bpm. At your
    ~10 min/mile pace I'd be around 130bpm.
    --
    Don [email protected]