Heart Rate Question.

MountainPro

Aug 11, 2004
I am and old duffer. 44 years old now and although i have been cycling since i was a nipper and was doing about 200 miles per week for most of my adult life my fitness has dwindled recently due to a couple of factors. Firstly been working in the middle east for 5 years and had a few health issues. Upshot is i put some weight on and now i sm back on the bike in Bonnie Scotland to get fit again. So was out for two hours yesterday on a hilly section, second time i have been out in all my time off. I was struggling. But maintained a decent average speed.

Ok, my max heart rate was 186. No problem there, but my average was 156 bpm, 86% of max heat rate. Even though a lot of the route was flat. Does that sound healthy?

Felt epic this morning no pains, except my nether regions, but i need a new saddle anyway.

You been away a while but to answer the question there is no standard for heart rate. The only standards are each person varies and max HR generally decreases as you age. I would say it appears that you are in a good range .... for an old Scottish grandmother :)

Haha...you should know ya coffin dodger..lol

Gotta look after the old ticker at my age.

Me, I am barely out of puberty and it better shape than most men twice my age. :) Yes, better take care of the pump. You don't get that many warnings.

Its amazing how fast the human body puts on fat when exercise is taken away. I firmly believe there is no such thing as a beer belly, just a lack of exercise..its a myth.

jhuskey said:
Me, I am barely out of puberty and it better shape than most men twice my age. :) Yes, better take care of the pump. You don't get that many warnings.
I agree with that not many warnings you get. Just recently, a friend had a heart attack and died after a few days of hospital confinement. He had undergone an emergency angioplasty (a thin thread was inserted in his vein to pierce the clog). The doctor said that he should have listened to his heart since it was already a nagging problem - difficulty in breathing and occasional palpitation. So that may serve as a warning to everyone especially those involved in strenuous physical activity.

That could be good or bad, really no explanation. I mean if your heart is used to the biking and stuff, the heart rate would be lower since you would increase your oxygen intake and stuff, but since you haven't been riding for about 5 years, that could do it.

A better way to measure your fitness is to measure your heart variability instead as it can give you a picture of how good or bad your parasympathetic ams sympathetic nervous system is... If you already have a heart rate monitor , there are apps you can use to get your heart rate variability with it.
A better way to measure your fitness is to measure your heart variability instead as it can give you a picture of how good or bad your parasympathetic ams sympathetic nervous system is... If you already have a heart rate monitor , there are apps you can use to get your heart rate variability with it.

Wow, I don't think that sounds very healthy at all. I think most times you should want to keep the heart rate under 150 if you are working out. This sounds like it should be a heart attack range. I would see a doctor about this type of rate.

MountainPro said:
So was out for two hours yesterday on a hilly section, second time i have been out in all my time off. I was struggling. But maintained a decent average speed.

Ok, my max heart rate was 186. No problem there, but my average was 156 bpm, 86% of max heat rate. Even though a lot of the route was flat. Does that sound healthy?

Felt epic this morning no pains, except my nether regions, but i need a new saddle anyway.

You used average/max to get 86%. You would get somewhere around 75% using a formula that uses resting heart rate also - (average-resting)/(max-resting)..

I am too lazy to keep my heart rate up in that range for that long. But it does get you in shape better than keeping your heart rate down.

You need to know yourself and know your body, because there is no hard and fast rule with regards to what is healthy. The only thing that matters is whether your heart rate is within the bounds that are healthy for you. The fitter you are, the less your heart rate should change with exercise, the lower your resting heart rate, and the quicker it should return back to normal after exercise. But then, I know some people who are incredibly fit and who's heart rates rise rapidly during exercise so, honestly, you can never really tell for sure other than by learning your own body without comparing it to other people.

If you remember what was your average heart rate when you were fit you can answer your question but it has been a while so you will get in shape if you go slow on yourself. If not, you may injure yourself or even something worse because heart is just another muscle in a sense so if you train too much when you are not ready you could damage it. Slow down when you need and do not too far. Eventually you get back on your tracks just be patient and do not give up. The end result is the best thing you can get.

You should make sure not to put yourself under a lot of pressure by heading towards being in condition again as you used to be. Everything takes time, especially if one has got some health issues tha may have prevented them from doing the usual work out, cycling or any other sort of training for some period of time.
In case you are not sure about your heart rate, or whether or not it is healthy, perhaps you should take some advise from a general practicionar. A doctor can do the check scan of your heart and tell you if your heart is still healthy enough to endure long distance cycling, and pressure of that kind.
That is what I would do prior to getting back on tracks.
Good to know you are back to cycling, anyway.