Heart Rate Stays Elevated

johncc48

Aug 22, 2003
I have been a rider for 28 years and have recently gotten a HRM. I maintain a relatively high level of aerobic fitness with riding 60+ hard miles/wk and skiing hard all winter.
Nevertheless I find my HR stays elevated (20-40 bpm above my usual 70-75) for 3+ hrs after a ride. By "ride" I mean a 3 1/2 hr , 50 mile climb with 4300' of elevation gain (today's ride). Sometimes it takes until the next AM for the HR to get back to my normal of 65-75 bpm. BTW, my AM resting rate is 60-65.
Any thoughts, ideas and weblinks for the science and meaning of this phenomena would be appreciated.

John

Sorry no links, but what you have described is perfectly normal. Vigorous exercise stimulates the basal metabolic rate. This is a good thing because one can continue to burn calories and fat while at rest after the workout.

The only time to be concerned is if your resting heart rate seems abnormally high. If that's the case you may have an infection, be fighting a fever or not be adequately recovered from previous workouts. A day or two off usually does the trick.

You could increase your fluid intake and see if it makes a difference or not, but I don't have a hr monitor so this really may be a normal response. What is your resting hr?

John,

I found a similar experience in Triathlon if I go too hard in the swim. I spend the whole bike ride having a rest to get the HR down so I can run.

Warm up slowly, in stages, keep below 92% of max HR and warm down in stages also, the warm down may need to be almost as long as the workout. It is worth a try! We are all getting older. :)

gclark8 said:
John,

I found a similar experience in Triathlon if I go too hard in the swim. I spend the whole bike ride having a rest to get the HR down so I can run.

Warm up slowly, in stages, keep below 92% of max HR and warm down in stages also, the warm down may need to be almost as long as the workout. It is worth a try! We are all getting older. :)

3 Plus hours is a lot post work out. Go see a physician period.

johncc48 said:
I have been a rider for 28 years and have recently gotten a HRM. I maintain a relatively high level of aerobic fitness with riding 60+ hard miles/wk and skiing hard all winter.
Nevertheless I find my HR stays elevated (20-40 bpm above my usual 70-75) for 3+ hrs after a ride.
and if you pay close attention, you will probably notice that it stays elevated the day after.

Funny but for me, heart rate while I put the wheels on my bike and put the helmet and gloves on, correlates fairly well with the perceived effort rate during the ride following. Low 60 is good, high 70s isn't.

riley1dog said:
3 Plus hours is a lot post work out. Go see a physician period.
Why? My heart rate stays elevated that long and I'm pefectly ......... AAAARRRRRRGGGGG!!!!! ajkl';las'm