Heart Rate vs Cadence

mrbob2

Oct 6, 2004
I am starting a hill training program for a hill century next June. I have switch edmy cassette out to a 13/29. I am finding in the long hills .75 to 1.25 at 80rpm my Hr goes up to 192 or so. If I slow done to 70 -60 I can try and keep it in the mid 180 range. My question is do I train to HR and not worry about cadence? Or do I trin to Cadence and not worry about the heart rate. I am trying to get the best bang for the buck.
I have always had a high HR for a 47 year old. My max was 205 and now it is down to 198.
Thanks for your help:)

mrbob2 said:
I am starting a hill training program for a hill century next June. I have switch edmy cassette out to a 13/29. I am finding in the long hills .75 to 1.25 at 80rpm my Hr goes up to 192 or so. If I slow done to 70 -60 I can try and keep it in the mid 180 range. My question is do I train to HR and not worry about cadence? Or do I trin to Cadence and not worry about the heart rate. I am trying to get the best bang for the buck.
I have always had a high HR for a 47 year old. My max was 205 and now it is down to 198.
Thanks for your help:)
I'd say both. I personally tend to neglect cadence although I know it is important:eek: , but I always monitor my HR (even at recovery after cycling). BTW what is your rest HR? Mine is quite low (used to be 37 now 40) but my upper limit is normal for my age (185 - 41yo).

Thanks for the information. I never cared to much about cadence until I read Lance Armstrong's Training book. So now I try to spin more and you need to on long hills. I have not checked mine in a long time but I thinkit was in the mid 50's. When I woke my monitor was not running and by the time I got it to read my heart rate went up to 60. I guess where I was going with the questions is that I will be training to long in a area that you are not suppose to train in. I am sure i am in my LT zone and i am over into my at zone too. So I guess I have to learn a way to ride at a lower pace but still be spinning.
ItsikH said:
I'd say both. I personally tend to neglect cadence although I know it is important:eek: , but I always monitor my HR (even at recovery after cycling). BTW what is your rest HR? Mine is quite low (used to be 37 now 40) but my upper limit is normal for my age (185 - 41yo).