Heart rate with Base endurance rides

KEEBLER

May 28, 2003
Hi,

I have started a formal training program, and am currently esatbilshing a base. I am not the fittest cyclist around, have actually only been riding off and on for a couple of months.

What I have been noticing is that I have Problems keeping my heart rate in this HRZone(endurance) when riding outside (not on my trainer).

Of course I have no problem staying in the zone when on the trainer, however when outside, i really have problems keeping my heart rate down. Is this normal???

I have been trying to keep my heart rate between 112- 139 for Base training

Thanks

Originally posted by KEEBLER
Hi,

I have started a formal training program, and am currently esatbilshing a base. I am not the fittest cyclist around, have actually only been riding off and on for a couple of months.

What I have been noticing is that I have Problems keeping my heart rate in this HRZone(endurance) when riding outside (not on my trainer).

Of course I have no problem staying in the zone when on the trainer, however when outside, i really have problems keeping my heart rate down. Is this normal???

I have been trying to keep my heart rate between 112- 139 for Base training

Thanks

Yes, believe it's normal. I've had the same experience. On the road we just tend to go faster. Plus, with winds, hills and traffic, it's harder to control the HR.

You just have to reduce the effort when you're approaching your high-limit HR. It may feel like you're slowing down too much, but I think it's good to stay within the zone limits for base training.

Originally posted by dhk
Yes, believe it's normal. I've had the same experience. On the road we just tend to go faster. Plus, with winds, hills and traffic, it's harder to control the HR.

You just have to reduce the effort when you're approaching your high-limit HR. It may feel like you're slowing down too much, but I think it's good to stay within the zone limits for base training.

Hi Dhk,

Thanks for the rply,

I hope I can slow down that much ( I still have to balance:)))

I will give it a shot an just try to reduce the effort. I to believe it is more benificial to stay in the zone

Chris

Keebler,
I tried for the first time today to do just that. I set the alarm on my HR monitor to help. It was very difficult to stay within my limits. I slowed to a crawl on some hills. On the upside I am so far having my easiest recovery to date. I imagine as we get fitter it will be easier to stay within the limits and not fall over on the hills from going so slow.
Bone

Originally posted by bone
Keebler,
I tried for the first time today to do just that. I set the alarm on my HR monitor to help. It was very difficult to stay within my limits. I slowed to a crawl on some hills. On the upside I am so far having my easiest recovery to date. I imagine as we get fitter it will be easier to stay within the limits and not fall over on the hills from going so slow.
Bone

Hi Bone,

Thanks for the reply. It is good to hear that other people are having the same problem. Its also pretty frustrating when another rider flies by you like you were standing still.

I will also try riding a flatter route for endurance rides.

Its just a whole bunch easier when your on the trainer to stay in this zone

I have another question for the more fitter riders.

What kind of watts are you guys pushing when riding in your endurance zones??? Just so I can see where I stand.

Thanks
Keebler