Heart rate zones

Gang,
Can someone point me in the right direction re: 1)Which HRM to purchase? 2) Where can I get the short course on how to properly set up and use the HRM correctly? As a Newbie anytime I can reach new goals and or measure improvements it motivates me to get out and work harder. FWIW, I'm 47, 6'-0" and 160lbs and in so so shape, but improving weekly.
Thanks in advance, Bone

Originally posted by bone
Gang,
Can someone point me in the right direction re: 1)Which HRM to purchase? 2) Where can I get the short course on how to properly set up and use the HRM correctly? As a Newbie anytime I can reach new goals and or measure improvements it motivates me to get out and work harder. FWIW, I'm 47, 6'-0" and 160lbs and in so so shape, but improving weekly.
Thanks in advance, Bone

http://www.polarusa.com/

http://www.polar-uk.com/index.html

http://www.pursuit-performance.com.au/

if your in Syd Aust, email Edd

Gang,
2) Where can I get the short course on how to properly set up and use the HRM correctly?
Great topic for a new thread! I'll start it off! :)

2LAP,
Thanks, I'm absolutely facinated by this topic and considering going out to pick up a monitor today before my ride.
Bone

2LAP, Thanks, I'm absolutely facinated by this topic and considering going out to pick up a monitor today before my ride. Bone
It gets really interesting when you start recording training, analysing and looking for trends. It gets even more interesting when you know what it all means.

PS. Don't forget to leave it at home once in a while!!!!!

EDD,
Thanks for the links, I bought one:D

2LAPP
Had to laugh at that. I just got back from my first ride sith the HRM and have been analysing my data for 2 hrs!:) Still not sure what I'm looking at however.
Bone

EDD,
Thanks for the links, I bought one:D

2LAP
Had to laugh at that. I just got back from my first ride sith the HRM and have been analysing my data for 2 hrs!:) Still not sure what I'm looking at however.
Bone
Bone,

Glad you got one and managed to get it to work!!! First thing you need to do is have a go at finding your max HR; you can do this out on the road and helps sometimes if you have someone to ride against. There are loads of posts on this topic though.

Oh, once you have found your max for the first time it might be worth checking it in a week or so. On the second attempt you might find that you can get a few extra beats. I should also say, I'm assuming your health and heart is fine.

Originally posted by JuneBug
Since commencing indoor sessions, I've noticed that I'm sweating profusely during/after each session.

LOL try a fan?? in your face kinda thing. its pretty normal to sweat like a fire hose. get a cheapo fan from the hardware store. :) and a cheapie tarp so you dont ruin your floor. oh and a protector on your bike if its metal or aluminum cause sweat is VERY caustical

I've got to say a big thank you to you and the other posters here.
on this thread.
The indoor sessions were killers (sweating too much, bored
with it, very monotonous).

But today proved that the indoor sessions and all that lost sweat
were worth it.
Today was the first major outdoor cycle : and when compared to other years, I'm really delighted at how well it went.

Four hours - 80 miles : in cold windy weather.
To be honest, I normally build up to the 4 hour sessions in march/april each year : so to be hitting these distances on 14th
Feb 2004 is, I think, down to the work on the indoor sessions
(all that sweating has proven worth it !).
Thanks for the help.

I am 46. According to the 220-age formula, my max would be 174.
After going hell for leather on a couple of local hills my max is 193.

This seems to reflect a lot of peoples experience.