Heart!

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by JAPANic, Dec 16, 2003.

1. JAPANic

JAPANic New Member

A few facts before I get to the point so try and stick with me please....

I've been cycling now since May.
    I'm 40.
    When I started I was 93kgs.
    I'm now 87kgs.
    I should be 78kgs or a little less.
    I haven't been dieting just riding. ( I eat well).
    According to some fancy scales I have...
    My BMI is 27% (was 31)
    My bone mass is 3.3kgs.
    My muscle weight is 60kgs.

According to the 220-age my max heart rate should be 180.

According to my Polar watch. (FITNESS TEST MODE) my max heart rate should be 177.

On the scale of 1-7 for the POLAR FITNESS TEST I rate a 6. Which is very good.

My resting heart rate is 48.
    I've always been an athlete except for what 10 years of marriage & 2 kids, dog & mortgage can do to a body....

Now for the part that troubles me....

I have entered 4 races over the last 4 months. I planned on doing that next year, but decided to jump in and see what it's like.

When I'm racing my heart goes to almost 178 very easily. I'm comfortable riding at 178 and don't run out of oxygen at this rate.
    In the last 10% of a race when I'm going hard I hit 188bpm for the remainder of the race. Peaked once at 189.

I've only been doing short races between 12 & 20kms.

January 4th I've entered a 100km race and know that my competitive nature will keep me in the leading pack....

Should I back off a little and weight (wait) till my wait (weight) [excuse puns] drops and my heart doesn't have to work as hard.....

Is my real heart max 189?

In each race I've improved my speed and placings...

I don't want to ask a doctor as they'll say stop riding so hard.

How hard can you push yourself?

I've just ordered 3 books from Amazon that will probably confuse the issue even more...

What would you do?

I feel great by the way, but just knowing the numbers is a bit scary....

Tags:

2. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

1. Yes, and within normal ranges. Don't worry to much about equations and predictions as these also have errors and ranges built into them.

2. If you're healthy, push yourself as hard as you like. But go and see a doctor for a once over anyway.

3. Keep cycling, improving and enjoying it.

3. JAPANic

JAPANic New Member

Thanks. I had a full medical back in March and everything was fine.
    The Doc asked me to lose a kilo a month and that's what I've been doing through cycling.

I guess I should go and have another check soon so he can comment on my progress.

4. davidbod

davidbod New Member

Just to give you some confidence I am also 40, my resting HR is mid 50s and my observed max is 192. When I was approaching 40 I got serious about losing weight and have gone from a BMI of 31 down to about 25.5 now. My LT is also very high at over 90% max HR. As 2lap states these are just averages for a particular age. They typically do not apply very well to very fit people.

5. JAPANic

JAPANic New Member

Thanks.... I think I should just concentrate on getting to correct weight and not worry too much about my heart.

I can only improve.... which is good to know.

Have attended 3 Christmas parties already, 2 to go. Trying to keep away from the food and beer. By April I should be a new person....

6. JAPANic

JAPANic New Member

Just thought I'd add a little more to this...

Last week I went mountain riding and found myself a new MHR of 191.... at the peak of a 4km climb of 440m altitude... (Did 4 peaks like this on the day). (freezing windy weather, with little warm-up before going up the killer peak).

I'm doing my first 100km race next Sunday and would like to pose the heart question in relation to this race.

My (new) max is 191.

I don't know what my lactate threshold is yet, but will somehow try and calculate this by race day as I want to run the race according to my heart....

I don't expect to win this race as preparation has been inadequate, just want to prepare for next year... see what it's like.

100km with a 4 hour limit on the finish time.
    I plan to average at least 30km an hour, 33 or better if I'm feeling good and 28 if I'm feeling bad.

I also plan to go easy for the first 66% of the race and push the last 33%.

I will draft off people along the way (all the way)....

21 X 4.8km laps of a motor raceway, with a hill climb in there as well.... that's 21 climbs..... ( I want to go easy until at least lap 14 to see if these hills are killing me).

Being my first distance race.... and at a glance of what I've said here, what heart ranges will be dangerous for long periods of time...

Would 160 average be too high?

I rode 100km 2 months ago and my heart seemed to be at 160 most of the way... (this was a flat course with a strong head wind for the last 30km).

Me, the novice may go too hard and bonk in this race especially if I go with a fast lead away pack.... not good at guaging my bonk zone yet.. always running on race nerves which push my heart up above normal anyway...

Any quick advice would be appreciated....

I don't want to win.... just learn....and finish in a respectable time..

I'll win it next year !!!!

;)

7. taras0000

taras0000 New Member

Japanic, love the name.

As far as your questions go, they are well founded. You seem to be preparing a lot for this race which is good. In my experience, beign preapred for a race does not assure a win, but being ill prepared will definitely put you on the losing end.

100 km is a long race, especially for a beginner. Your plan of finishing in less than 4 hours is a reasonable goal and one that you will most likely attain. I say stick with the lead pack as long as you feel mentally comfortable. Make sure that you bring some munchies for the race. 4 hours without food is a long time and a sure bonk. I doubt that you will be racing at your lactate threshold for much of the race and yes, you will probably be in the 160 bpm range most of the time. I also don't think that you will get to close to your max heart rate or see a new one, even though it is probably a little higher than the 191 you saw on your mountain bike ride.

Best advice is come prepared, stay relaxed and let the race unfold. You will probably surprise yourself in your abilities. Good luck

8. oil27

oil27 New Member

"The heart should be lean" says my GP. Not enlarged and not fat. How about eating the foods that remove the build of plaque on the arteries. In Australia there was an ad showing the heart artery of a man who must have eaten wrong. Like a toothpaste tube it was squeezed and it produced loads of plaque ! It killed him. Look at food labels and be sure not to eat "hydrogenated oil" such as palm oil which is hydrogenated. It is like cholesterol but as it is an artificial substance the body cannot eliminate it. Avoid cholesterol. So use olive or canola oil. Miss some of your fat. Although I hear we need some in order to digest a certain vitamin. I hear that apple cider vinegar is good for removing plaque. I need to brush up on this and plan to. We could see our Drs, nutritionist and herbalists at health food shops... Then we could start our own ultra popular and relevant thread. oil27

9. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I've got to agree with 2Lap : we're all built differently and the general formula for max BPM is only a general rule.
    If you're functioning comfortably at 170-180 BPM, go with that.

You're obviously preparing yourself and that is great but I do think that people can get caught up by statistics and what
    the current 'fads' say is the correct/incorrect training level.

The best advise I can give is to listen to your body and if you're
    happy functioning at a level - then you'll have no problem.
    Given the fact that your doctor gave you a full clean bill of health
    at your last medical indicates to me that you're fit and healthy.
    The stats are good as roadsigns but there only generalisations.

10. Postie

Postie New Member

This quote is filled with awesome words.

Hopefully Japanic followed them in his race. Gels and hydration before and during the race along with a huge spaghetti supper the night before make the best anti-bonk remedy. For a person that's in shape, 191 is not a heart rate you should worry about. Not everyone falls into "average rules", and many "average" people aren't racing!

My big question for Japanic is; How'd the race go?!?

11. JAPANic

JAPANic New Member

I finished in 3 hours 25 minutes. Was a little too well hydrated and had to stop for a pi(t)ss stop....

I could have gone about 3 hours 10 if I knew I wasn't going to bonk. It was my first long race so I went on the easy side. 21 laps (21 X 4.8km) with a hill meant 21 hills. I was slow on the climbs but powered down and on the flats.

I couldn't find any body to draft with as being a little heavy I lost people on the hills but overtook them on the flats.

If I can lose the weight and stay with the packs on the hills next year I will do much better.... (got a new bike too)

The night b4 the race my HRM got water in it and the screen blanked out so even though I used it I couldn't monitor my heart.

I did use the watch and it recorded the race anyway.

My average heart rate was 159. 160 was my estimated Lactate thresholod so I ran a pretty much perfect heart race.

I could have pushed the last 30 kms much more if I knew it was going to be so easy.

My legs didn't feel bad after the race, or the next day. Next year I will be aiming for under 3 hours....

My Polar 720 has been replaced under warranty as well....

I had a power bar during the race, and 4 bottles of 500ml sports drinks...

Had a few coffees early in the morning and too much water. 30 minutes before the race I was going to the toilet with a little diarhoea and urinating constantly..part nerves, part over indulgence. We had to be up at 3:30 am and drive for 2 hours before the race started... One warm up lap of 4.8kms

Need to push myself with hill training and weight reduction...

The lead pack were averaging over 40km/h... I don't know how they did it.... but that is my goal... Maybe a few years away from that.. The secret is to be able to get in that pack and sit back and watch guys like me plugging along by themsleves..

12. taras0000

taras0000 New Member

Over a half an hour faster than your goal? That's pretty good for first time out. Looks like you rode a sensible race. I'll admit that much coffee before a race will certainly send you to the porta-potties. One to 2 cups will usually do ya. As far as the pi(t)ss stop, learn to do it on the bike, save even more time.

Your goal of under two hours next year sounds reasonable and right on the money, although if you think that you could've went 3'10", then maybe you should try to lop a half an hour off of that. You got a whole year, so you should be able to do it. That'll put you close to the 40 k/h range. 21 hills is a lot.

Great ride.

13. Postie

Postie New Member

Congratulations JAPANic! You road a great race.

One peice of advice I've had told to me is that when it comes to race day, leave the heart monitor at home. People say that it will influence your race decisions (for example, if your heart rate spikes because of the anxiety of someone attacking, should you slow down to keep target heart rate?). So, I never have.

The other thing I've learned about myself is that I too am amazed an envious of the guys that can maintain 40km/hr for a long race. However I know I will never be one of those guys. I'd gladly put in the training to increase my performance that much, but every time I try, I injure myself. So, the challenge for me is to race my race. Then I find my own accomplishments like, getting a better placement then ever before or enduring more hardship then ever before or getting my fastest sprint I've ever managed.... ...you get the idea.

So, the only reason I'm telling you this is because, I hope you can start riding with the elite riders. But, if you can't, I hope you're not disappointed. Just think how ahead of the game you are just being there. :D

14. JAPANic

JAPANic New Member

Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm improving each week, so there is a little hope. I'm taking it easy too as I had a serious knee injury that took me away from active sports for over 10 years, so even though it pains a bit, cycling is a sport I can do that has speed and aggression but I can control the knee pain and I can control the injuries, (providing I don't crash).

I know what you mean too about leaving the heart rate monitor at home. I'll still wear it but leave the watch in my pocket. It is a wealth of information to look at the charts and plan for the same race next year.

I managed to stick with the 2 fastest guys in this mornings training sprints. A first for me.

My goals are to improve a little each time. My goal for this year is to finish top 6 in at least ine race. I got an 11th place in November, so that race will be my main goal this year.

I'm happy with my heart now. Have been riding since May 2003, have done 5 races now, and have pushed hard in a few of them. If I was going to keel over from going too hard it would have happened before my fitness came back.

Concentrating on leg strength now and leg speed. (and weight loss)

Cheers.