heartburn

bicycle_disciple

Guest
I realise that sometimes, after ingesting food and energy gels on the
bike, I get a very faint sense of heartburn. What should I do to avoid
this from distracting my riding?

Heartburn in seniors can lead to other problems, lifestyle changes,
medicine can help symptom

Dangers of Heartburn

Heartburn symptoms can show up in a variety of ways - as a painful
burning sensation in the chest sometimes spreading to the throat, a
sour or bitter taste in the mouth, frequent belching, coughing,
wheezing or a sore throat. If your husband is experiencing some of
these symptoms at least twice a week, he needs to see a doctor.
Frequent heartburn symptoms may indicate gastroesophageal reflux
disease (GERD), which if left untreated, can lead to serious health
problems such as asthma, trouble swallowing, debilitating sleep
problems, Barrett's esophagus, esophageal cancer and more.

Depending on the frequency and severity of the symptoms, there are
several things you can do to prevent or reduce heartburn.like:-
change Diet, Eating habits, stop smoking, weight management, relax etc.

For complete information:-
http://www.medical-health-care-information.com/health-news/5-5health4.htm

bicycle_disciple wrote:
> I realise that sometimes, after ingesting food and energy gels on the
> bike, I get a very faint sense of heartburn. What should I do to avoid
> this from distracting my riding?

Water and bananas.....slamming that much sugar and caffeine, I'm not
surprized ya get heartburn...like so much 'bicycle', these 'foods' are
overemphasized and overused, seen as a panacea to poor cycling
performance.

bicycle_disciple wrote:
> I realise that sometimes, after ingesting food and energy gels on the
> bike, I get a very faint sense of heartburn. What should I do to avoid
> this from distracting my riding?

Don't eat things that give you heartburn.

Carry antacid tablets.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> bicycle_disciple wrote:
> > I realise that sometimes, after ingesting food and energy gels on the
> > bike, I get a very faint sense of heartburn. What should I do to avoid
> > this from distracting my riding?

> Water and bananas.....slamming that much sugar and caffeine, I'm not
> surprized ya get heartburn...like so much 'bicycle', these 'foods' are
> overemphasized and overused, seen as a panacea to poor cycling
> performnce.

....and by and large, they taste vile (IMO).

1. start eating early in the ride
2. eat little and often.
3. don't bolt the food down as fast as possible while gasping for air
on a climb, or sluice it down with lots of water. Eat slowly, small
bites and chew well (wow, I sound like my mother at the dinner table).

First snack after 30 minutes, and something small 45 minutes or so
after that suits me. Each snack would be one of somthing like the
following:
- a banana
- a couple of fig rolls (Fig Newtons in Americansese?)
- a few dried apricots
- a small jam/jelly sandwich.

Always simple food, easy to chew, nothing fatty or too spicy.

hth,

bookieb.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> bicycle_disciple wrote:
> > I realise that sometimes, after ingesting food and energy gels on the
> > bike, I get a very faint sense of heartburn. What should I do to avoid
> > this from distracting my riding?

> Water and bananas.....slamming that much sugar and caffeine, I'm not
> surprized ya get heartburn...like so much 'bicycle', these 'foods' are
> overemphasized and overused, seen as a panacea to poor cycling
> performnce.

....and by and large, they taste vile (IMO).

1. start eating early in the ride
2. eat little and often.
3. don't bolt the food down as fast as possible while gasping for air
on a climb, or sluice it down with lots of water. Eat slowly, small
bites and chew well (wow, I sound like my mother at the dinner table).

First snack after 30 minutes, and something small 45 minutes or so
after that suits me. Each snack would be one of somthing like the
following:
- a banana
- a couple of fig rolls (Fig Newtons in Americansese?)
- a few dried apricots
- a small jam/jelly sandwich.

Always simple food, easy to chew, nothing too fatty or spicy.

hth,

bookieb.

Before eating dried fruits out on the road, try some before hand to
make sure you don't have an allergic reaction to the preservative used
on that fruit. Sulfur dioxide is commonly used today as a preservative
but has also been used as a chemical weapon to induce asthma like
symptoms. You may have never experienced any problems eating dried
fruits in the past, but every manufacturer uses different amounts.

bicycle_disciple wrote:
> I realise that sometimes, after ingesting food and energy gels on the
> bike, I get a very faint sense of heartburn. What should I do to avoid
> this from distracting my riding?

Eat afterward. I have never been able to exercise right after eating.
It makes me nauseated. Afterwards, it is no problem. I can do it in
the middle of a long ride at a break if I don't overdo it, but it is a
fine line for me so I tend to stay away from the food line till the ride
is over.

On 5 May 2006 05:43:12 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>bicycle_disciple wrote:
>> I realise that sometimes, after ingesting food and energy gels on the
>> bike, I get a very faint sense of heartburn. What should I do to avoid
>> this from distracting my riding?

>Water and bananas.....slamming that much sugar and caffeine,

Not all gels have caffeine.

JT

Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com