Heartrate training

Steve07

Oct 11, 2007
On my average 120-150km weekend spin, i've noticed that I spend basically all of it working at approx 85% my max heartrate. (Apart from the warm-up and cool-down of course). Is this beneficial or should I be aiming to train at a lower effort. I find I have no problem spending four hours or so at this effort and I generally feel great after the ride. My resting HR is 42 and my max HR is 202. I dont pay too much attention to HR, as its subject to so many other influences but until I get a power meter its better than nothing!

Any info would be appreciated!!

Steve07 said:
On my average 120-150km weekend spin, i've noticed that I spend basically all of it working at approx 85% my max heartrate. (Apart from the warm-up and cool-down of course). Is this beneficial or should I be aiming to train at a lower effort. I find I have no problem spending four hours or so at this effort and I generally feel great after the ride. My resting HR is 42 and my max HR is 202. I dont pay too much attention to HR, as its subject to so many other influences but until I get a power meter its better than nothing!

Since you are able to handle 85% of max hr this is a good rate to continue to develop cardio function, although yours is already excellent. There is no advantage in lowering this intensity; if anything, I would institute HIIT to complement your long rides.

I would think this might be a L4 workout. When I do my L4 efforts by wattage, my HR seems to be in this range (80-85%) When I do L5 (4-5min) efforts it usually falls between 86-90%, L6 (1min) falls between 90-95%. It is pretty consistant since Im coming into the workout usually always rested.
So I would tell you to keep doing them & also do 4-5min efforts to where you HR falls in the 86-90% range, at least until you get a power tap. When you get the PT & start doin the 2-3x20, 5x5s let us if your HR numbers changed much.

Steve07 said:

Steve07 said:

i'm not certain, but why do you think it may be better to train at a lower % of HRmax? What are your overall goals? What are your goals for this session?

How do you know your HRmax is 202 b/min? Is this an estimate or have you had this assessed in a formal maximal test?

Ric

Agree. Two posters above may be using different baselines for 'HR Max'...whatever that it.

Of course, if everyone used Max HR from a test like Rick's then we'd have comparable information.

Sorry just used a simple method for determining HR max= (220 - age)

Dont know how accurate this is but its the easiest to determine.

Steve07 said:

Very inaccurate for some people. If I take my age away from 220 I get 155. For me that's a cruising HR. 170 is much nearer. (maybe a bit higher, I'm not interested in finding out)
Having said that, the only time I look at my HR when I'm on the trainer in the gym, is when I've finished the interval to see how fast my HR drops. It will drop from 165 to 120 in 40 secs for the first interval (VO2Max) and be a tad slower to fall on the 2nd and so on. Tyson

Very inaccurate, Im 40 & my max is 210. To find out, do a few very efforts as hard as you can possibly go until you cant go no more, that should tell you. You could sprint as hard as you can out of the saddle, then sit and keep on pushing until you blow. It should take 30sec-1min.

Steve07 said:

Steve07 said:

This formula fits me well (my higest heart rate this year was by 2 beats higer than estimated accordin this formula). It can be pretty inacurate for well trained or older people tough (according to Polar).

catlike said:
It can be pretty inacurate for well trained or older people tough (according to Polar).
It can be, and it cannot be as I pointed out above. And I class myself as fairly well trained and an older person. ;) Tyson

jeff828 said:
Very inaccurate, Im 40 & my max is 210. To find out, do a few very efforts as hard as you can possibly go until you cant go no more, that should tell you. You could sprint as hard as you can out of the saddle, then sit and keep on pushing until you blow. It should take 30sec-1min.
Unless you are some super human incapable of feeling pain, you will not reach max HR like that. To honestly reach max you need either a race with a very tough finish, ie, a long hard sprint or something more like a short (1k+) hard up hill, or

A medium length hill, at least 3k. You need to gradually up the tempo, up and up and up, it helps if you have someone next to you in a car yelling at you constantly.

I doubt I know anyone who can just 'decide' they want to hit max HR, you need heaps of motivation.:D

I've done a true max heart rate test on a rowing ergometer - man that hurts. Basically it involves a good warm-up and then progressive max efforts. I am 47 now, did that test about three years ago and my max was 202. I certainly would not reccomend anyone trying it without a lot of training, interval experience and a (insert legal caveat) note from your doctor.

A much better way to determine your training zones is to calculate your lactate or functional threshold. there are a couple of methods I've seen for determining this - basically the highest heart rate you can hold for an extended (20 minute) effort. Then you build your zones around that. Joe Friels book, "The cyclists Training bible" has an excellent section on this.

The only accurate way to know if that heart rate is a right one and to know your physiological parameters is doing a complete physiological test evaluation on a bike measuring VO2 volumes and blood lactate levels. There are more and more centers and Universities in the US performing these tests, however it is also important the guidance of a well-trained and experienced physiologist as well....

I am considering to make a test to determine the level of lactate in blood (they taka a samples of blood during the workout) in diferent intensities. According to these measurements they define aerobic- anaerobic treshold (according heartrate). I guess the rezult should be more effective than a training in heartrate zones according to estimated HRmax. Has anybody made a similar test?

I doubt I know anyone who can just 'decide' they want to hit max HR, you need heaps of motivation.:D
Well you know someone now :D I can hit 210 at will, & yes it hurts but its just a short maximal effort.

Unless you are some super human incapable of feeling pain
No not quite but I have raced many races (1hour crits) between 195-205, averaging about 197 beats and managed to place and cat up, maybe I have built up a mental toughness and dont quit the first sign of pain. Thanks to the 2-3x20s, people on this forum & someone who is working with me I am no longer riding pegged and haveing a blast racing, @180-185beats

Jono L said:
Unless you are some super human incapable of feeling pain, you will not reach max HR like that. To honestly reach max you need either a race with a very tough finish, ie, a long hard sprint or something more like a short (1k+) hard up hill, or

A medium length hill, at least 3k. You need to gradually up the tempo, up and up and up, it helps if you have someone next to you in a car yelling at you constantly.