Heat/Humidity - how to deal?

TheNiceGuy

Jul 20, 2005
I am currently living in southern Japan, and the summers here are truly awsome for heat/humidity (it's 32degrees with 85% humidity right now outside). I want to do a lond trip during my vacation time in August, but am afraid to overheat or something. Any tips to avoid this? And what's the worst that can happen if I do pass out due to overheating?

TheNiceGuy said:
I am currently living in southern Japan, and the summers here are truly awsome for heat/humidity (it's 32degrees with 85% humidity right now outside). I want to do a lond trip during my vacation time in August, but am afraid to overheat or something. Any tips to avoid this? And what's the worst that can happen if I do pass out due to overheating?
Being from Texas I dont see what your problem is. ;) drink plenty, and ride hard. It only gets HOT when you go slow or stop. All that can happen is you will fall of the bike hit your head and die, but I don't think that will happen.
Matt

cycleguy2300 said:
Being from Texas I dont see what your problem is. ;) drink plenty, and ride hard. It only gets HOT when you go slow or stop. All that can happen is you will fall of the bike hit your head and die, but I don't think that will happen.
Matt
Isn't it a dry heat down there? It's the humidity that kills me here, and there are a lot of mountains where you go SLOW and work HARD.
Re. dangers, I saw one of my students 17 y/o pass out and go into convulsions - if they didn't get her ona stretcher to the med room I wager she could have died in the midday sun.

Hiya - I'm also in Southern Japan and feel your pain (where are you by the way? I'm in Fukuoka-ken).

For day rides, where you typically ride harder than on a long trip - I will typically take it a bit easier than normal up the hills, and I take more water than usual, and will also try and find somewhere for a water stop. Also, while I don't normally like hydration packs too much, I find a part-frozen hydration pack in an insulated bag stays cold for several hours even in the sun - I use my mouth to spray cold water on my face, neck & arms every now and then. I use my normal bottles for keeping hydrated, and save the hydration pack for keeping cool & for when the bottles run out. I also have my normal bottles at least half-ice, but on the hot days they take about 1/2 hour to thaw.

In addition, I will stop & rest every now & then, preferably somewhere shady and (relatively) cool.

On the long trips (I'd love to hear about where you're going!), I usually get up at first light, then ride until it starts getting really hot - maybe 10-12 or so, then I will eat, snooze & take it easy until maybe 3-4pm, then ride another couple of hours until I figure out where I want to spend the night. I find that between 5-9am are the best hours to ride - the roads are less crowded, it's cooler, quieter, and the best part is you get some decent distance behind you before the day is even half over.

Hi Cheeseman-
Thanks for the tips! I'm in Okayama ken. I have only done day trips in Japan so far (done longer camping trips in Canada where I knew the deal more). I was thinking of doing some of the 88 temples in Shikoku or the Japan sea coast along Tottori/shimane etc.
I'm not a morning person, but it sounds good to become one! i'll have to check out that camel pack idea. How about covering up in loose light clothes? Possibly wetting them down? I normaly go stripped in racing type gear, lots of skin, and get burned every time. Bedoin anyone???

TheNiceGuy said:
Isn't it a dry heat down there? It's the humidity that kills me here, and there are a lot of mountains where you go SLOW and work HARD.
Re. dangers, I saw one of my students 17 y/o pass out and go into convulsions - if they didn't get her ona stretcher to the med room I wager she could have died in the midday sun.
No, it's a wet and sticky heat here in College Station ( Home of the FIGHTING TEXAS AGGIES) but north of here in D/FW it tends to be drier.
Matt

Drink lots of water AND gatorade.

Try and ride either early in the morning or late in the evening.

If you STOP sweating - call the ambulance - you are probably having heat stroke.

Cheers for the replys all.

What is the deal with salt? I notice a lot of the sports teams put salt in their water during summer. How much and should I use it too?

TheNiceGuy said:
Cheers for the replys all.

What is the deal with salt? I notice a lot of the sports teams put salt in their water during summer. How much and should I use it too?
Rather than salting your water, I'd suggest electrolyte tablets/capsules. They should be available at a nutrition store or health sites online. Less chance of messing up dosage or content with a product like that.

TheNiceGuy said:

I feel your pain I am in Tennesee 91 F today with high humidity and will be 95 by Saturday. I rode today and the heat index on the pavement was over 100 F.
It is impossible to stay cool because of the mountains here.
The climbs get to you with steepclimbs and today I cracked 6 miles into the ride after climbing at a hard pace.
I made it home fine but sometimes it happens when you push too hard.
I beat my best time ever on this route but I am paying for it now with a headache. I just got too hot.
Hydrate and slow down when it is too hot,unlike me.

Hey! I am up in Honshu and lovin` the dense humidity... Make sure you drink 1-2 bottles of water/pocari sweat (or other electrolyte drink) every hour. We are lucky having vending machines all over the place. Dont ride in the heat of the day (also coincides with the amount of traffic you will encounter seeing that most businesses dont open until 10am) and make sure to watch all those little side roads so that you dont get T-Boned.

If you want to do a long ride in August, why not Hokkaido? I am thinking of doing it myself.

PM me if you need any info on Honshu.
e

GAMBATTE!

jhuskey said:
I feel your pain I am in Tennesee 91 F today with high humidity and will be 95 by Saturday. I rode today and the heat index on the pavement was over 100 F.
It is impossible to stay cool because of the mountains here.
The climbs get to you with steepclimbs and today I cracked 6 miles into the ride after climbing at a hard pace.
I made it home fine but sometimes it happens when you push too hard.
I beat my best time ever on this route but I am paying for it now with a headache. I just got too hot.
Hydrate and slow down when it is too hot,unlike me.
Yeah, weekend forecast is about the same here....105-110* heat index, with sun.

Agree hydration and slowing down are important. Even with plenty of water, sport drink and electrolyte, seems my HR runs 5-10 bpm higher when it's hot. Key is to slow down, keep drinking.....and avoid the steep 6 mph climbs! It's fine if you relax, take breaks in the shade with cool drinks; not the time of year to try for personal bests.

Ah....you pansies. 85% humidity?....that's a dry day in Florida! We're tough out here. We like to ride in the middle of the freakin' day when humitures exceed 100 F! and we don't even carry any water us!!!If you need water ...just open you mouth and water will condense on your throat. Yeah...come ride summer with us and we will make you into a real man!! Japan will seem like the North Pole...

Induray said:
Ah....you pansies. 85% humidity?....that's a dry day in Florida! We're tough out here. We like to ride in the middle of the freakin' day when humitures exceed 100 F! and we don't even carry any water us!!!If you need water ...just open you mouth and water will condense on your throat. Yeah...come ride summer with us and we will make you into a real man!! Japan will seem like the North Pole...

Two differences between Tennessee and Florida, well there are more but anyway, East Tennessee has 15 degree climbs and Florida has the same temperature and humidity except in Tennessee it gets cooler at night.
Florida is hot 24 hours a day.
I got damn hard climbs but at least I can go in the morning before it gets hot.
105 on the pavement today and the heat index,I don't want to know.
Florida,probably worse,but at least you got flats.

Induray said:
Conditioning may help a little, but believe you Florida guys will have to slow down in the intense heat/humidity just like normal humans. Unless you know some trick I don't, the heart rates go up in hot, humidity and sunny conditions, because your body has to divert some blood flow to the skin just to keep cool.

I seem to average about 10 bpm higher in high heat index conditions, meaning that I feel any hard efforts a lot more, and it takes longer to recover from them. Key is just to slow down, avoid the big climbs and sprints, and take breaks in the shade. There is plenty of time left in the fall to get in your personal bests for the year.

I know all about trying to stay hydrated, but I just can't seem to stay ahead of the curve. I guess it is kind of hard to stay hydrated considering today was 99 F with humidity in the 70 percent range, making it feel right around 115 or so.

I of course am predrinking, but on the ride I am going through a lot of water which is filling my stomach, which in turn makes me feel somewhat nauseated. Today at the freakin 20 mile mark I was done. I had to just go home at an easy pace with lots of breaks. This is seriously not fun. I guess I better just put the bike to the side for tomorrow and wait for the break later this week.

Kidding aside. It is tough to ride at such high temps. Have you tried a product call Glycerate fm Advance Kinetics? Glycerol is an molecule that resembles alcohol. It allows you to hyperhydrate (retain more water in the cells)before a ride. I have used it several times but didn't really work for me. However Advance Kinetics, InterNutria Sports and Twinlab have supplements that might work for you.

Here is some info:
http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/coachcorn/hyperhydration.html
Let me know if it worked for you.

Also it is important to get acclimitized. Do it very slowly...it might take months , even years.

PMThor said:
I know all about trying to stay hydrated, but I just can't seem to stay ahead of the curve. I guess it is kind of hard to stay hydrated considering today was 99 F with humidity in the 70 percent range, making it feel right around 115 or so.

I of course am predrinking, but on the ride I am going through a lot of water which is filling my stomach, which in turn makes me feel somewhat nauseated. Today at the freakin 20 mile mark I was done. I had to just go home at an easy pace with lots of breaks. This is seriously not fun. I guess I better just put the bike to the side for tomorrow and wait for the break later this week.
Rather than straight water, I drink 1/2 water and 1/2 sport drink in the heat. Believe you need the extra carbs to help retain the fluids, and the extra sodium (salt) to keep your electolytes up. I need up to a liter/hour of this combination on hot days; that's about 1 and a half 22 oz water bottles.

I mix Gatorade or Cytomax at home, to a 6% CHO solution (60 grams/liter). Also like to add salt, about 1/4 tsp (600mg) per liter, so the drink has about 1000 mg/liter salt concentration. The added salt also takes away the sticky-sweet taste.