HEAT INDEX:

Not Sure

May 25, 2010
[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= #333333]HEAT INDEX:[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= #333333]“Today’s high will be 98..but, it will feel like 105.”[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= #333333]not[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= #333333]Does it strike anyone, but me, as strange that those who are supposed to be as factual, scientific and analytical about things as meteorlogists, would be trying to tell us how we are going to feel about something? [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= #333333]4[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= #333333]It is extremely discomforting, to me, in several ways. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= #333333]First, as I say, meteorologists are supposed to study atmospheric phenomena by use of tools for measurement, data resultant from the measurements and possibly make some hypothesiis based on collected data. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= #333333]search[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= #333333]Next, there is, and should be, NO WAY anyone can, or should, be able to predict how Anyone else is going to fEEl about something! Feelings are completely indiosyncratic. Even if someone tElls someone else “hOw” they fEEl, it doesn’t necessarily mean that their feelings are understood or, that that person’s feelings about the thing won’t change within the minute! [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= #333333]To assume otherwise is okay, but, it is not journalism and it is cERtainly nOt meteorological! [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= #333333]Asking one billion people how they feel about something relative to some other thing, or things, gets us absolutely nO closer to knowing how the one billion and first person is likely to sAy they feel about it. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= #333333]engines[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= #333333]That’s why feelings are feelings. They are deeply personal and not necessarily subject to change in any predictable way by any predictable set of circumstances or conditions! [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= #333333]Finally, the damned news media isn’t supposed to be telling us how we should feel about this or that, or, assuming that someone feels a certain way about it, based on observed behavior! They’re just supposed to tell us who, what, when, where and how. Maybe an occasional why. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE= 10pt][COLOR= #333333]Thanks. I feel better now. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

They are only trying to convey an abstract in a way that can be sensed.

Heat index is temperature related to humidity. It does not take into account any air flow.

When it's hot, muggy, turn on a fan, and sit in the blast. It will feel like chill.

How's that for a news tip?

grin,

r.

It is dang hot here and all I do is climb so it feels hotter and at times I feel dizzy. On long rides I feel like hallucinating. The one thing I don't feel in these temeratures is good.
The heat index in the crotch of my bibs feels like the bowels of hell. A few more weeks of this and I may not feel at all.

As far as Meteorologist and weather reporters go the only way they will ever get the weather correct is if they tell us what it was yesterday. The further out they report the weather the less accurate they become.

As far as me I will be beating the heat the next two weeks on a cruise ship. No cycling until I return diving and drinking will be the name of the game for me. Oh yea and eating everything in sight. Hopefully this heat blast will be over when I return so I can get on my bike and burn off my vacation.

I live in West Texas, and we have had consecutive 100 plus degree whether since the end of May. I love cycling, so I just grin and bear it. I have gotten dizzy a few times. What really gets me is put ice in my water bottle, but halfway into my ride I go to take a drink, and it's warm. It hydrates me of course, but does not feel refreshing at all. EPIC FAIL!