Heat resistant tubular glue?

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] wrote:

> You have no hard evidence of that. Get a thermometer, and then tell us
> what the temperature is. However, it is clear from the test that there
> are temperatures where some glues, 3M for instance, are significantly
> weakened, and Vittoria is completely safe.

Apply a thin layer of glue to foil, and allow to cure to
your specifications. Warm a household iron to various
temperatures and lay the unglued surface of the foil on
the iron. Repeat with different glues and temperatures.
Put different glues on the same foil and do side by side
comparisons.

--
Michael Press

In article <[email protected]>,
A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

> John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> -snip-
> > It's possible that other brands of cement have also changed
> > in the last couple of decades. Certainly there was stuff in common
> > use 15 or 20 years ago that almost no one I know would dare to use
> > today -- like Tubasti.

> I hear you. Although I also used Tubasti exclusively for
> about 15 years, I sure wouldn't now. Some Tubasti tubes are
> like tapioca (yes, lumpy) and some like heavy cream. Clear
> cements are consistent - much better for achieving a thin
> even edge-to-edge layer. Although I can't say I ever saw a
> Tubasti-ed tire lift because of it, ya gotta wonder. . .
>
> As another contributor mentioned recently it is not rocket
> science to mount a tubular on a rim. _Somebody_ is buying
> all that Tubasti, yet we don't see a rash of lifted tires.

Most folks rarely corner at the very limit. When I first
was on tubulars with no experience I rolled a tire at ~15
km/hr on a very tight turn. I had not glued the tire.

But remember that it is not primarily the glue that holds
the tire. Think of a short cylinder woven of straw about
2-3 cm in diameter. Put your fingers in the cylinder, and
pull. The cylinder tries to extend and the circumference
of the cylinder tries to contract.

The cords are laid on a diagonal to the axes of the tire.
At any point on the surface of the tire the air pressure
and the curvature of the tire produce a resultant force to
stretch the tire. The resultant force is proportional to
the curvature of the surface, and therefore the force to
expand the tire along the circumference of the small
circle is greater than the force to expand the tire along
the circumference of the large circle. As the tire expands
along the small circle the angle of the bias laid cords
changes and the tire actually tries to shorten the length
of the circumference of the large circle, forcing the tire
radially into the rim.

All this applies to clincher tires as well. All bias ply
tires contract radially when inflated.

The experiment is easy. Put an unglued tubular tire on an
unglued rim, inflate, then attempt to remove it.

--
Michael Press

On 3 Jan 2006 11:35:02 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>> On 3 Jan 2006 00:24:48 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>>

>> >Do you know of anyone who has tried the Schwalbe Stelvio 700x25
>> >tubulars?

>> I got a deal on Schwalbe stuff and got some of their tubulars in the
>> size narrower than that. Haven't used them yet, but they appear
>> well-constructed. The 700x25 are the same other than size, I think,
>> so if I can remember I'll report on the tires in April or May when I
>> use them.

>Any chance you could pump one up and measure it's width? If it has an
>actual width of 22, ther eis reason to belive the 25's will actually be
>25. If so I may be inclined to order some.

They are 22mm or maybe a little less or more -- my eyesight is not
great and don't have calipers handy. But very close.

But really, I just don't think you should be using tubulars for
everyday use -- get a frame that'll fit big fat road clinchers.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

[email protected] wrote:
> > It is reasonable to suppose that if the glue is resistant to
> > softening and allowing it to roll off, it would be resistant to
> > softening in a way that would allow it to creep around the tire. In
> > fact, it is completely absurd and grasping at straws to suggest
> > otherwise. The fact remains that there is a significant dfference
> > among glues in heat resistance.

> Oh oh! Here is another hypothesizer speaking from the KBD rather than
> actual use of tubulars. "It is reasonable to suppose " is not a
> convincing testimony of fact. Of course there are no facts, it's all
> opinion in your perspective.

I'm not hypothisizing, I am extrapolating from test results to the real
world, the same as what you do when you endlessly tell us how your
Avocet tests on a test device prove that tubulars ridden on asphalt
have worse RR than clinchers. You don't like it? Than stop it.

> I see you also are a recent visitor here. In many of these "tubulars
> are better" threads I explained where that was "researched" as I
> descended The Nufenen Pass in the Alps after stream crossings and snow
> riding only to believe I had a flat as the tire hissed on entry into
> hairpin turns, but stopped "leaking" as soon as I let up on the
> brakes. When the tire did not go flat I discovered upon stopping,
> that steam was coming out of the stem hole. That settles the question
> for me.

I guess I would have thought you able to know the difference between
anecdote and research.

> Can you explain why "Vittoria is completely safe"? What is
> "completely safe" anyway, there being no evidence of that in the
> report.

It is an attempt to summarize the test results that show Vittoria to
retain considerable strength at 60oC, based on the assumption that the
strength of 3M at 27o is also safe, and since strength of 3M@27o =
strength of Vittoria@60o, Vittoria is safe at 60o. Are you really so
dense that you cannot fill in the omitted steps yourself?

> Just the same, thanks for defining experiments that I should do to
> support your claims of advancing glue technology. I spent many years
> riding tubulars and am fully familiar with their feet of clay as well
> as their strong points.

Yes, we know. Your anecdotes are well documented here. Your hard data
is quite sparse, though.

> You speak as a newcomer with no experience of the subject. If you are
> as sure as you seem to be about this subject, how about presenting
> what you have discovered about riding tubulars under limiting
> conditions?

We all have our anecdotes, but when it comes to hard data, the papers I
referenced trump anecdote. You have some hard data about temperatures
commonly attained in Alpine descents and glue strength, how about
presenting *it* ?

> > No one makes that assumption. There is test evidence to show that
> > there is a difference in glues; the author explains also why they
> > think the temperature that they tested to is meaningful.

> The assumption is glaring in the graph of that article because there
> is practically no data while straight lines are shown to fit that
> meager data. Those lines could be almost anywhere and they don't go
> through the points.

No one knows what happens over 60o, but only a liar would try to argue
that we need data points between 27o and 60o WRT Vittoria- it's safe at
27 and it's safe at 60; we know it's safe at all temperatures in
between.

> > If you have other hard evidence involving a thermometer and a survey
> > of the conditions that people are likely to encounter that suggests
> > that higher temperatures are commonplace in mountain descents,
> > please present it. The fact that you got snow to sizzle on your
> > wheels 40 years ago on unpaved Alpine roads does not provide such
> > evidence.

> Oh? I see, the boiling point of water has probably also changed in
> your estimation.

Well, of course it does change. We don't know the altitude at which you
noted said sizzle, therefore the boiling point of water is a
significant undefined variable. But the real point I was trying to make
is that noting water sizzling on your wheel does not provide the
slightest shred of evidence that such sizzling would be commonplace in
descents. You admitted in this ng that the circumstance was descending
on high altitude unpaved Alpine roads. That is an extreme situation
beyond the experience of of the great majority of tubular riders.

> The point is that this is a typical descent of which
> we have many right here in the Santa Cruz Mountains except that I
> never had the opportunity to descend them with water in the rim.

Unpaved? Get an MTB! But don't tell us that making a ride like that on
tubulars is proof that tubulars are unsafe on normal mountain roads.

> > What do you bet your safety on, then? Their research is well done.

> That is your opinion. I don't share that and, as a research engineer,
> have developed a record on which I can rely and believe without acts
> of faith but rather on repeatable practical experience.

So you are trumpeting anecdote (experience) over research, then. I have
no doubt that it is possible to melt the glue of a tubular rim if that
is your purpose, just as I have no doubt that it would be possible to
blow up a clincher from overheating of a rim if I was trying to prove
that it was possible. But taking such extreme situations and using them
as evidence that you can't use either tubulars or clinchers safely in
descents is absurd.

> > Here's an idea: next time anyone wants to test their rim temperature
> > after a descent{ squirt your water bottle on the rim and see if the
> > water boils off. If it does, you have matched the extreme conditions
> > that Brandt managed to create; otherwise, you're more in the realm of
> > everyday reality tested by the researcher.

> I see you don't read well either. It is surprising how fast rims cool
> on such descents and, of course, that is why rim brakes work as
> well as they do. I suppose you have also never blown a tire off a
> clincher rim from braking heat and don't believe that occurs. I think
> you need to talk to tandem riders about that.

See above, but you're right, I have never done that.

> >> You'll not that rim glue turns dark grey with use as it abrades the
> >> aluminum rim. In fact the base tape wears through the anodizing if
> >> that surface is anodized. Non-anodized rims develop cloth pattern
> >> more rapidly in the contact surface from base tape motion without
> >> descending under hard braking.

> > Irrelevant to this discussion, and probably not universally true.
> > Certainly not tested under any kind of controlled conditions, and
> > not my recent experience.

> There you go again: "probably not universally true" trying to convince
> readers that you don't ride tubulars, or at least not much. I'm sure
> if you visit a bicycle shop like Peter Chisholm's where you can witness
> abraded aluminum surfaces of tubular rims.

I have seen them in the past (although I didn't realize it at the time)
but I don't see them now on the wheels I use. I don't know why that is
so I will not try to tell you that I do. But I can technically modify
my statement to say "is certainly not universally true" because it is
not true for me in my recent cycling.

> Why do you insist on hypothetically arguing this subject about which,
> by your own words, you have no experience.

Your most recent experience riding tubulars is 30 years ago; mine is
the day before yesterday. Everyone on this ng knows that you haven't
ridden tubulars in years, but I don't really care whether anyone thinks
I do or not. The question is "Heat resistant tubular glue?" The answer
is not based on my anecdotes of riding in Germany 30 years ago, it is
based on scientific data that is absolutely current.

Michael Press wrote:
> The experiment is easy. Put an unglued tubular tire on an
> unglued rim, inflate, then attempt to remove it.

Easy enough. Try the converse: try to pull a Vittoria-glued tire
without any air in it off a rim. It will be harder than your
experiment, or the tire isn't glued down properly.

Contrary to Brandt's claim, inflation is *not* the primary force
holding the tire on the rim, or shouldn't be, at least.

[email protected] wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > What do you bet your safety on, then? Their research is well done.
> > Here's an idea: next time anyone wants to test their rim temperature
> > after a descent{ squirt your water bottle on the rim and see if the
> > water boils off. If it does, you have matched the extreme conditions
> > that Brandt managed to create; otherwise, you're more in the realm of
> > everyday reality tested by the researcher.

> </snip>
>
> That is exactly as I have done many, many times. As I posted earlier
> (perhaps in a differnt thread...) when I lived in Switzerland, I
> routinely carried 2 water bottles; one for me, and one for the rims.
> Squirting water onto the rims and seeing steam was a regular
> occurrence.

Seeing "steam" is not evidence of boiling. Water in a true gaseous form
is an invisible gas. I take Brandt at his word that the snow was
boiling off his rim because it was hissing, but evaporation rate
increases proportionately to temperature. The boiling point is simply
the hottest temperature at which water can still exist in liquid form
(for a given pressure, which changes significantly with altitude).
Still, I believe you that it was hot, and you bring up a good point
that I hadn't really thought about, that weight could add to the
extremity of the rim heating. If you look at the study I referenced you
will notice that some of the glues basically cease to work at the same
temp where Vittoria still provides considerable strength. The question
is, how hot were your rims, really? If you were using any other glue
besides Vittoria, that may give you a clue, because you have some idea
of how much the tire rotated under given conditions. From your
description, it sounds like you did not always reach the point where
you had to stop and flip the wheel over. Is it possible that 100%
better bond strength under the same conditions would have been enough?
It might be worth it to compare the tested performance of your glue to
Vittoria and see whether there is an indication that it might help your
situation.

Soc puppet snipes anonymously:

>>> It is reasonable to suppose that if the glue is resistant to
>>> softening and allowing it to roll off, it would be resistant to
>>> softening in a way that would allow it to creep around the
>>> tire. In fact, it is completely absurd and grasping at straws to
>>> suggest otherwise. The fact remains that there is a significant
>>> dfference among glues in heat resistance.

>> Oh oh! Here is another hypothesizer speaking from the KBD rather
>> than actual use of tubulars. "It is reasonable to suppose " is not
>> a convincing testimony of fact. Of course there are no facts, it's
>> all opinion in your perspective.

> I'm not hypothisizing, I am extrapolating from test results to the
> real world, the same as what you do when you endlessly tell us how
> your Avocet tests on a test device prove that tubulars ridden on
> asphalt have worse RR than clinchers. You don't like it? Than stop
> it.

Extrapolation in this event is purely hypothesis since you are
extrapolating extrapolated data that does not fit a curve.

>> I see you also are a recent visitor here. In many of these
>> "tubulars are better" threads I explained where that was
>> "researched" as I descended The Nufenen Pass in the Alps after
>> stream crossings and snow riding only to believe I had a flat as
>> the tire hissed on entry into hairpin turns, but stopped "leaking"
>> as soon as I let up on the brakes. When the tire did not go flat I
>> discovered upon stopping, that steam was coming out of the stem
>> hole. That settles the question for me.

> I guess I would have thought you able to know the difference between
> anecdote and research.

It depends on how the experiment is done and who does it. Being aware
of the parameters involved and the relationship between generating
bursts of steam and not doing so on hard and light braking is better
research than test stands in a laboratory, especially if the observer
is aware of the physics involved.

>> Can you explain why "Vittoria is completely safe"? What is
>> "completely safe" anyway, there being no evidence of that in the
>> report.

> It is an attempt to summarize the test results that show Vittoria to
> retain considerable strength at 60oC, based on the assumption that
> the strength of 3M at 27o is also safe, and since strength of 3M@27o
> = strength of Vittoria@60o, Vittoria is safe at 60o. Are you really
> so dense that you cannot fill in the omitted steps yourself?

You have no indication of whether the glue would allow tire creep on a
descent. That occurs long before you can lift the tire from the rim
when glue softens. As I said, these folks have no experience in the
matter they are trying to define and missed the appropriate test
method. Tires rolling off rims is not the critical mode of failure,
but rather valve stem separation as the tire creeps on the rim.

>> Just the same, thanks for defining experiments that I should do to
>> support your claims of advancing glue technology. I spent many
>> years riding tubulars and am fully familiar with their feet of clay
>> as well as their strong points.

> Yes, we know. Your anecdotes are well documented here. Your hard
> data is quite sparse, though.

Watch out, you can overuse disparaging words. I see your word of the
day is anecdote. Don't wear it out.

>> You speak as a newcomer with no experience of the subject. If you
>> are as sure as you seem to be about this subject, how about
>> presenting what you have discovered about riding tubulars under
>> limiting conditions?

> We all have our anecdotes, but when it comes to hard data, the papers I
> referenced trump anecdote. You have some hard data about temperatures
> commonly attained in Alpine descents and glue strength, how about
> presenting *it* ?

How hard must the data be. I have sheared off about six or eight
valve stems and blown four clinchers off the rim from brake heating.
Besides that, people with whom I have ridden had similar incidents.
On the 9other hand you keep referring to a bench test that tried to
place some numerical value on pull-off force that is not the critical
parameter.

>>> No one makes that assumption. There is test evidence to show that
>>> there is a difference in glues; the author explains also why they
>>> think the temperature that they tested to is meaningful.

>> The assumption is glaring in the graph of that article because
>> there is practically no data while straight lines are shown to fit
>> that meager data. Those lines could be almost anywhere and they
>> don't go through the points.

> No one knows what happens over 60o, but only a liar would try to argue
> that we need data points between 27o and 60o WRT Vittoria- it's safe at
> 27 and it's safe at 60; we know it's safe at all temperatures in
> between.

I see you are grasping for straws as you allude to lies. How is it
that these technical discussions end in rude name calling. I see no
evidence that you have unearthed in your riding that makes any of your
claims more than conjecture. I have my road tests and results that
you prefer to ignore and call anecdotes.

>>> If you have other hard evidence involving a thermometer and a
>>> survey of the conditions that people are likely to encounter that
>>> suggests that higher temperatures are commonplace in mountain
>>> descents, please present it. The fact that you got snow to sizzle
>>> on your wheels 40 years ago on unpaved Alpine roads does not
>>> provide such evidence.

>> Oh? I see, the boiling point of water has probably also changed in
>> your estimation.

> Well, of course it does change. We don't know the altitude at which
> you noted said sizzle, therefore the boiling point of water is a
> significant undefined variable. But the real point I was trying to
> make is that noting water sizzling on your wheel does not provide
> the slightest shred of evidence that such sizzling would be
> commonplace in descents. You admitted in this ng that the
> circumstance was descending on high altitude unpaved Alpine roads.
> That is an extreme situation beyond the experience of of the great
> majority of tubular riders.

I think you don't understand steam generation. It is more than sizzle
and the heat of vaporization is enough to raise the temperature of a
rim substantially above 100 degrees C in the absence of steam
generation. Are you aware of heat of vaporization?

http://www.physchem.co.za/Heat/Latent.htm

>> The point is that this is a typical descent of which we have many
>> right here in the Santa Cruz Mountains except that I never had the
>> opportunity to descend them with water in the rim.

> Unpaved? Get an MTB! But don't tell us that making a ride like
> that on tubulars is proof that tubulars are unsafe on normal
> mountain roads.

I don't know where you get that but these effects were experienced
primarily on paved roads. Paved or unpaved has no effect on rim glue
although the curves and road surface affect how fast one can let the
bicycle roll. Typically, steep paved roads such as the ones in this
area and on the Sierra like Old Priest Grade, melt rim glue regardless
of the weight or skill of the rider.

>>> What do you bet your safety on, then? Their research is well done.

>> That is your opinion. I don't share that and, as a research
>> engineer, have developed a record on which I can rely and believe
>> without acts of faith but rather on repeatable practical
>> experience.

> So you are trumpeting anecdote (experience) over research, then. I
> have no doubt that it is possible to melt the glue of a tubular rim
> if that is your purpose, just as I have no doubt that it would be
> possible to blow up a clincher from overheating of a rim if I was
> trying to prove that it was possible. But taking such extreme
> situations and using them as evidence that you can't use either
> tubulars or clinchers safely in descents is absurd.

"Trumpeting" is see your position less assured as you grasp and
ridicule to support your point of view.

You may call this anecdote but you ignore the irrefutable evidence my
observations reveal and that they are good and reliable
characterization of physical phenomena that affect the safety of
tubular tires. Not all research is done in lab coats and indoors. If
you prefer to have someone in a laboratory with a thermometer to tell
you that tubular rim glue presents no problems with respect to braking
heat, that is your prerogative. I don't see that you should lend it
any endorsement if you haven't tried it on the road to see if the test
data has any relation to performance.

>>> Here's an idea: next time anyone wants to test their rim temperature
>>> after a descent{ squirt your water bottle on the rim and see if the
>>> water boils off. If it does, you have matched the extreme conditions
>>> that Brandt managed to create; otherwise, you're more in the realm of
>>> everyday reality tested by the researcher.

>> I see you don't read well either. It is surprising how fast rims
>> cool on such descents and, of course, that is why rim brakes work
>> as well as they do. I suppose you have also never blown a tire off
>> a clincher rim from braking heat and don't believe that occurs. I
>> think you need to talk to tandem riders about that.

> See above, but you're right, I have never done that.

>>> Irrelevant to this discussion, and probably not universally true.
>>> Certainly not tested under any kind of controlled conditions, and
>>> not my recent experience.

>> There you go again: "probably not universally true" trying to
>> convince readers that you don't ride tubulars, or at least not
>> much. I'm sure if you visit a bicycle shop like Peter Chisholm's
>> where you can witness abraded aluminum surfaces of tubular rims.

> I have seen them in the past (although I didn't realize it at the
> time) but I don't see them now on the wheels I use. I don't know
> why that is so I will not try to tell you that I do. But I can
> technically modify my statement to say "is certainly not universally
> true" because it is not true for me in my recent cycling.

>> Why do you insist on hypothetically arguing this subject about
>> which, by your own words, you have no experience.

> Your most recent experience riding tubulars is 30 years ago; mine is
> the day before yesterday. Everyone on this ng knows that you haven't
> ridden tubulars in years, but I don't really care whether anyone
> thinks I do or not. The question is "Heat resistant tubular glue?"
> The answer is not based on my anecdotes of riding in Germany 30
> years ago, it is based on scientific data that is absolutely
> current.

It would be good if you could explain what changed since then and why
you believe that all the problems with tubulars have been solved in a
time when they are no longer used by most riders.

Jobst Brandt

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Sheldon Brown wrote:
> > Peter Chisholm scritta:
> >
> > > Don't ask Jobst for any advise about tubulars. He hates them and those
> > > that use them.

> > That's uncalled for. He may not like tubulars, but there's no reason to
> > accuse him of hating those who use them.

> rude, surly, condesending. I can only surmise he has a personal problem
> with users of tubies, Delta brakes, tied and soldered wheel users.

Jobst is Jobst. I suggest learning to appreciate his style.

> ...Great. I don't sell Avocet....

That is too bad, since I have found Avocet smooth tread tires to be of
excellent quality, have better than average wet traction and
durability, and reasonably puncture resistant.

> ...some don't want to reach for their shifters....

That is why I by preference use Dura-Ace bar-end and twist-grip
shifters.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

"PK" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Ted Bennett wrote:
> >>
> >> I like Sheldon and appreciate his inputs and knowledge but like Jobst,
> >> he does not now nor has used tubulars for a long time. Does not sell
> >> them in the store he calls home so-
> >>

> > See above. I also don't sell leather hairnet helmets or slotted shoe
> > cleats. Does that indicate that I'm ignorant of those things...or might
> > it be that I've decided these are not products I can concienciously
> > recommend to my customers?

> As a service to the customer you should provide a consmable like tubulars.
> The choice of the customer is more important than what you can and can't
> recommend. You have decided to let down a customer who needs a tub. Think
> about it you from the customers side.
>
> PK

Peter, I wrote none of that. Please be careful with your attributions.

--
Ted Bennett

[email protected] wrote:
> ... As I posted earlier
> (perhaps in a differnt thread...) when I lived in Switzerland, I
> routinely carried 2 water bottles; one for me, and one for the rims.
> Squirting water onto the rims and seeing steam was a regular
> occurrence....

I hate to think how the contents of the first bottle ended up cooling
the rim!

> The only thing extreme about the situation was that I was
> 100kg and trying to keep myself from reaching terminal velocity in
> free-fall off a cliff! Squirting was not done after the descent, rather
> during to try to control the melt-down.

I hate to think how the contents of the first bottle ended up cooling
the rim!

Your mass is not that much greater than Jobst Brandt's estimated 85-90
kg [1]

[1] Based on previous posts by Jobst Brandt.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On 3 Jan 2006 11:35:02 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
>

> >John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

> >> I got a deal on Schwalbe stuff and got some of their tubulars in the
> >> size narrower than that. Haven't used them yet, but they appear
> >> well-constructed. The 700x25 are the same other than size, I think,
> >> so if I can remember I'll report on the tires in April or May when I
> >> use them.

> >Any chance you could pump one up and measure it's width? If it has an
> >actual width of 22, ther eis reason to belive the 25's will actually be
> >25. If so I may be inclined to order some.

> They are 22mm or maybe a little less or more -- my eyesight is not
> great and don't have calipers handy. But very close.
>
> But really, I just don't think you should be using tubulars for
> everyday use -- get a frame that'll fit big fat road clinchers.

Thanks for measuring them. I just got a new frame. If I could find some
nice 25's that are actually 25's and not 28's, and get some stiff
wheels, I'll be fine.

Joseph

Michael Press wrote:
> Most folks rarely corner at the very limit. When I first
> was on tubulars with no experience I rolled a tire at ~15
> km/hr on a very tight turn. I had not glued the tire.
> But remember that it is not primarily the glue that holds
> the tire. Think of a short cylinder woven of straw about

-snip-
> The experiment is easy. Put an unglued tubular tire on an
> unglued rim, inflate, then attempt to remove it.

Yes, that's right - it's the exact test we saw conducted by
the ABL guys before every race back in prehistory. And they
yanked a few guys off the line for unsafe tubs too.

But we weren't talking about gross negligence, rather the
general usefulness, safety, suitability of tubulars [about
which no one ever changes his/her mind despite a lot of
verbiage]

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

[email protected] wrote:
> anonymous snipes:
>
> >> The experiment is easy. Put an unglued tubular tire on an unglued
> >> rim, inflate, then attempt to remove it.

> > Easy enough. Try the converse: try to pull a Vittoria-glued tire
> > without any air in it off a rim. It will be harder than your
> > experiment, or the tire isn't glued down properly.

> > Contrary to Brandt's claim, inflation is *not* the primary force
> > holding the tire on the rim, or shouldn't be, at least.

> Well... make up your mind, which way is it. You may have given tire
> creep on a hot rim some thought. If constriction from inflation
> pressure weren't holding the tire in place, then it would creep off
> sideways in a longer curve.

I have been consistent about this. I didn't say constriction doesn't
hold the tire in place; what I have consistently said is that with a
properly glued tire with a superior glue, the glue provides more of the
strength than inflation constriction. I know that I can roll an
inflated tire off a rim with my bare hands; I also know that it is
almost impossible for me to get a tire glued on with Vittoria off
without a lever after a flat. This corresponds to the claim in the
research that glue provides 60% of the strength. Obviously, this would
vary greatly with the glue used since Vittoria is twice as strong as
some of the other glues tested and with weaker glues or poor mounting
inflation constriction would be stronger. Maybe your decades-ago
experience was with a weaker glue, or maybe you don't know how to glue
a tire properly, and this is on what you've been basing your claim
since then that constriction provides the majority of the clamping
force. You have stated repeatedly on this ng that the gluing has to be
weak enough to allow removal after a flat on the road, presumably
without a lever (unless you state otherwise, which you haven't to
date), which I take as an admission that when you glue on a tire it is
not as strongly glued as it should be.

[email protected] wrote:
> Peter Chisholm writes:
>
> >> I don't believe so. If your tires are bottoming on roads, then you
> >> are close to damaging rims and getting pinch flats anyway. I think
> >> you need a suspension bicycle if the roads are that bad. Running
> >> small soft tires is not a reasonable solution as I see it. I
> >> suspect you gained some weight since you last rode tubulars.

> > Hmmm. I am 200 pounds...have NEVER had a pinch flat on tubies, I use
> > 95psi...

> I wouldn't make much hay on that. I have riding companions that
> weigh 150 lbs who got pinch flats with tubulars.

I'm surprised you let them ride with you.

I can't imagine to
> what roads you limit your rides but occasional pinch flats are a fact
> of bicycling for active riders.

"limit my rides', 'active riders'...I rode 7000 miles last year
according to my records and I live in Colorado, not a flat state. I
have not had a pinch flat when riding tubulars for 2 decades. Your
attempt to paint me as a flat lander that rides occasionally every
third weekend or so is not accurate.

That you haven't had heating problems
> tells me that you haven't descended any twisty roads that require
> constant braking, especially steep dirt roads, where high cornering
> speeds are out of the question.
>
> > Don't ask Jobst for any advise about tubulars. He hates them and
> > those that use them. He hasn't seen or used a tubular for as long as
> > I have been using them. His knowledge is not current, on these and
> > other subjects.

> You say that as though something about tubulars is different today
> than when they were the mainstream of tires used by bikies. Can you
> explain what that might be and how it prevents pinch flats or rim
> heating? I hear this mantra of "tubulars are better today" without
> supporting evidence.

When's the last time you actually rode a set of tubies, when was the
last time you actually saw, touched, rode any tubular...I started when
youi stopped riding tubulars...

[email protected] wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > [email protected] wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> > > What do you bet your safety on, then? Their research is well done.
> > > Here's an idea: next time anyone wants to test their rim temperature
> > > after a descent{ squirt your water bottle on the rim and see if the
> > > water boils off. If it does, you have matched the extreme conditions
> > > that Brandt managed to create; otherwise, you're more in the realm of
> > > everyday reality tested by the researcher.

> > </snip>
> >
> > That is exactly as I have done many, many times. As I posted earlier
> > (perhaps in a differnt thread...) when I lived in Switzerland, I
> > routinely carried 2 water bottles; one for me, and one for the rims.
> > Squirting water onto the rims and seeing steam was a regular
> > occurrence.

> Seeing "steam" is not evidence of boiling. Water in a true gaseous form
> is an invisible gas. I take Brandt at his word that the snow was
> boiling off his rim because it was hissing, but evaporation rate
> increases proportionately to temperature. The boiling point is simply
> the hottest temperature at which water can still exist in liquid form
> (for a given pressure, which changes significantly with altitude).
> Still, I believe you that it was hot, and you bring up a good point
> that I hadn't really thought about, that weight could add to the
> extremity of the rim heating. If you look at the study I referenced you
> will notice that some of the glues basically cease to work at the same
> temp where Vittoria still provides considerable strength. The question
> is, how hot were your rims, really? If you were using any other glue
> besides Vittoria, that may give you a clue, because you have some idea
> of how much the tire rotated under given conditions. From your
> description, it sounds like you did not always reach the point where
> you had to stop and flip the wheel over. Is it possible that 100%
> better bond strength under the same conditions would have been enough?
> It might be worth it to compare the tested performance of your glue to
> Vittoria and see whether there is an indication that it might help your
> situation.

I don't recall which glue I used at the time, but I tried many
different ones to see if there was a difference. While there may have
been a difference, I at one point or another always went over the
threshold, so it didn't really matter, and I never really got a sense
of which was better. For some reason I settled on Fast Tack. But it
certainly follows that in some circumstances, some glue would be so
much better than others on some shorter or less demadning descents that
I would be able to ride normally with everyone else.

Anyone feel like having a go on calculating how much heat is generated
by riders of various weights braking from various speeds?

[email protected] wrote:
> Extrapolation in this event is purely hypothesis since you are
> extrapolating extrapolated data that does not fit a curve.

Nonsense. Distilled down, all you're saying is that you refuse to
accept the applicability of the test data to the real world. It's
incontrovertible- Vittoria is as strong at 60o as 3M is at 27o. Ignore
or deride it if it makes you feel better but since you don't ride
tubulars it hardly matters. For those who do, though, the conclusion to
be drawn is important and obvious.

> > It is an attempt to summarize the test results that show Vittoria to
> > retain considerable strength at 60oC, based on the assumption that
> > the strength of 3M at 27o is also safe, and since strength of 3M@27o
> > = strength of Vittoria@60o, Vittoria is safe at 60o. Are you really
> > so dense that you cannot fill in the omitted steps yourself?

> You have no indication of whether the glue would allow tire creep on a
> descent.

To believe that it would, you would have to hypothesize that tire creep
occurs without rim heating, since Vittoria at 60o has strength
equivalent to 3M at 27o.

> That occurs long before you can lift the tire from the rim
> when glue softens. As I said, these folks have no experience in the
> matter they are trying to define and missed the appropriate test
> method. Tires rolling off rims is not the critical mode of failure,
> but rather valve stem separation as the tire creeps on the rim.

It is an operational definition of bond strength, and that is what they
are testing. If one glue is twice as strong as another, it will resist
tire creep or roll-off better than the weaker glue.

> > Yes, we know. Your anecdotes are well documented here. Your hard
> > data is quite sparse, though.

> Watch out, you can overuse disparaging words. I see your word of the
> day is anecdote. Don't wear it out.

Anecdote, anecdote, anecdotal. Your argument in this thread is based on
a combination of anecdotal evidence and faulty and purposefully
misleading reasoning.

> > We all have our anecdotes, but when it comes to hard data, the papers I
> > referenced trump anecdote. You have some hard data about temperatures
> > commonly attained in Alpine descents and glue strength, how about
> > presenting *it* ?

> How hard must the data be. I have sheared off about six or eight
> valve stems and blown four clinchers off the rim from brake heating.

What temperature, and measured how? What glue? What is its strength
relative to Vittoria at that temperature? What is the relevance of
clinchers to this discussion except to support my contention that you
have achieved extreme rim temperatures that are uncommon to even
experienced cyclists?

> Besides that, people with whom I have ridden had similar incidents.
> On the 9other hand you keep referring to a bench test that tried to
> place some numerical value on pull-off force that is not the critical
> parameter.

All I have claimed in this thread is that there is a significant
difference between glues at 60o, and that it could provide a critical
safety factor for riders whose rims heat to that temperature..

> > No one knows what happens over 60o, but only a liar would try to argue
> > that we need data points between 27o and 60o WRT Vittoria- it's safe at
> > 27 and it's safe at 60; we know it's safe at all temperatures in
> > between.

> I see you are grasping for straws as you allude to lies.

No, I'm calling you a liar. You feel the need to protect your ego and
reputation by distorting the meaning and conclusions from this study.
Your distortions are in essence lies, because they are not made
inadvertently or out of ignorance.

> How is it
> that these technical discussions end in rude name calling.

See above.

> I see no
> evidence that you have unearthed in your riding that makes any of your
> claims more than conjecture. I have my road tests and results that
> you prefer to ignore and call anecdotes.

They are not controlled studies, they are made without any measuring
instruments, they were not repeated in a controlled setting. They are
anecdotal at best, and you know damn well that that is what they would
be called under any type of peer review.

> > Well, of course it does change. We don't know the altitude at which
> > you noted said sizzle, therefore the boiling point of water is a
> > significant undefined variable. But the real point I was trying to
> > make is that noting water sizzling on your wheel does not provide
> > the slightest shred of evidence that such sizzling would be
> > commonplace in descents. You admitted in this ng that the
> > circumstance was descending on high altitude unpaved Alpine roads.
> > That is an extreme situation beyond the experience of of the great
> > majority of tubular riders.

> I think you don't understand steam generation. It is more than sizzle
> and the heat of vaporization is enough to raise the temperature of a
> rim substantially above 100 degrees C in the absence of steam
> generation. Are you aware of heat of vaporization?

In the absence of a thermometer, said sizzle does not provide evidence
of a temperature beyond 100o, and probably not even that, since your
Alpine adventures presumably involved considerable altitude. (Note that
I did not say anything about "steam".)

> >> The point is that this is a typical descent of which we have many
> >> right here in the Santa Cruz Mountains except that I never had the
> >> opportunity to descend them with water in the rim.

> > Unpaved? Get an MTB! But don't tell us that making a ride like
> > that on tubulars is proof that tubulars are unsafe on normal
> > mountain roads.

> I don't know where you get that but these effects were experienced
> primarily on paved roads.

Well, I guess I got it from this: "I refers only to that you have
apparently not had enough experience with them under demanding
conditions to realize the hazards they pose. This was even worse in
the days before 1970, when many Alpine passes were unpaved and
descending then meant riding the brakes for long durations, high speed
and especially high speed cornering was not possible although the
grades were just as steep as thy are today."

> Paved or unpaved has no effect on rim glue
> although the curves and road surface affect how fast one can let the
> bicycle roll.

Exactly, and that was the context of your above content. Unpaved roads
require lower speeds and more brake use because you cannot safely
maintain terminal velocity.

> Typically, steep paved roads such as the ones in this
> area and on the Sierra like Old Priest Grade, melt rim glue regardless
> of the weight or skill of the rider.

Steepness is certainly a factor, as are weight and skill of the rider,
and frequency and sharpness of curves. Another factor is the glue
itself. They are all variables that contribute to rim heating from
braking. It is absurd to try to roll all these factors into a single
off/on dimension that protrays glue selection as unimportant and
tubulars inherently unsafe in mountain riding.

> You may call this anecdote but you ignore the irrefutable evidence my
> observations reveal and that they are good and reliable
> characterization of physical phenomena that affect the safety of
> tubular tires.

Uncontrolled and unmeasured observations are the very definition of
anecdote.

> Not all research is done in lab coats and indoors. If
> you prefer to have someone in a laboratory with a thermometer to tell
> you that tubular rim glue presents no problems with respect to braking
> heat, that is your prerogative.

I don't make that claim. On the contrary, the controlled research shows
the exact opposite, that there can be significant issues with glue
weakening from rim heating. But it also shows clearly that one glue in
particular has a significant advantage over all the others in resisting
this problem.

> I don't see that you should lend it
> any endorsement if you haven't tried it on the road to see if the test
> data has any relation to performance.

I have tried it on the street, and I can attest that it makes an
extremely strong bond on the rim as shown in their testing at normal
temperature; however, since I have never had an issue with tire creep
under any circumstances, and I don't ride mountains these days, I
couldn't comment on that part of their test. But then, you don't have
any experience with it on the road, either, that would allow you to
contradict the test data, which stands on its own.

> It would be good if you could explain what changed since then and why
> you believe that all the problems with tubulars have been solved in a
> time when they are no longer used by most riders.

The majority of racers at the highest level still use tubulars. That
alone is reason to expect that there would continue to be technological
advance as there has been in every other aspect of racing bicycle
technology over the last 20 years. Furthermore, if you had continued to
use tubulars you might have gained experience with Vittoria glue in
particular. I would ask why you would have us believe that technology
has NOT advanced in the last twenty years when it has everywhere else.

Dans le message de
news:[email protected],
[email protected] <[email protected]> a réfléchi,
et puis a déclaré :
> [email protected] wrote:

In short, Mr Brandt believes his personal experience of 30 odd years ago
stands true today, without testing.

I get it. 30 years ago, I was contesting Elite 2 races with moderate
success. By his yardstick, I can do that tomorrow. Guess I'll get my
license renewed.

BTW, his opponent in this argument thinks I'll have to deal with the reality
of 30 years of "progress" in my capacity (opposite to the Victoria glue
curve).

I'll let you know when I stand on some podiums.....
--
Sandy
--

[email protected] wrote:

> This is "begging the question" as in debating. By claiming your
> statement to be a "fact" you try to avoid showing why it should be
> taken as fact.
>
> http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/begging-the-question.html
>
> >> Less than clinchers with latex tubes? Why should we believe this? Mere
> >> experience isn't good enough, when others with experience make opposite
> >> claims.

> > Believe what you want. I attribute my own claims to the 40,000
> > miles I have ridden on tubulars without a single pinch flat. Prior
> > to that, I was plagued with pinch flats on clinchers, or had to
> > inflate them to teeth-rattling pressures. Those here claiming that
> > tubular pinch-flat as often as clinchers also freely admit that they
> > haven't ridden a tubular tire in over 20 years If that's your idea
> > of experience...

> So where do the pinch flats occur? The way you state that, we are all
> incompetent, most of us having had a pinch flat on occasion with
> tubulars and latex tubes. As I said, the term snake bite arose from
> the occurrence when all bikies rode tubular tires with latex tubes.
> You must be riding somewhere else when you ride than what athletic
> bicyclists who get snake bites ride.

> >> It's also as much as some decent clincher tires (e.g. you can
> >> currently buy a Continental Sport 1000 at Nashbar for $7.48 US),
> >> and why throw away a perfectly good inner tube?

> > I'm sure you enjoy the comfort and performance of your $7 tires,
> > but, given the choice, I'll stick with my top-of-the-line
> > professional racing tubulars. And, to address your third point,
> > what's "perfectly good" about an inner tube with a hole in it?

> Well why didn't you say that at the outset instead of claiming that
> those who don't use tubulars don't know what they are doing, and
> implying they are inept riders?

Where do you come up with this nonsense? You either suffer from
paranoia, have a serious reading comprehension problem, or both. I
never, in any of my posts, have ever claimed that those who don't use
tubulars don't know what they are doing, or implied that they are inept
riders. All I've done is contribute to the discussion based on my own
experiences riding tubulars daily for the last 12 years. If anyone here
feels threatened by that, or prefers to believe the assertions of
another self-appointed expert, so be it.

[email protected] wrote:

> Argh! I almost ordered some rims with fantasies of riding Clement
> Paris-Roubaix's... Does your friend have a "normal" retail price for
> random joes like me?
>
> Regular CX is no problem for me to find, and I can get unlimited Pave
> EVO's for $65. But that ugly green tread makes me nauseous!
>
> Do you know of anyone who has tried the Schwalbe Stelvio 700x25
> tubulars?

The USA importer is a friend of a friend. This does not enable me to
get tires for you or anyone else, unfortunately.
We did contact him today regarding the availability of Clement
tubulars. We were told that Clement brand is owned by Pirelli Tire
Company and it was licensed by Vittoria Tires. Vittoria stopped selling
Clement in the USA, so Clement tubulars will no longer be available
here. However, his company is still importing DEDA, Hutchinson, and
Challenge tubulars. Challenge is the son of the founder of Clement. All
of the tires are made in Bangkok, as are the Vittorias. I'm pretty sure
that Hutchinson and Challenge both offer tubulars in wide widths.
Also, Veloflex, which is still handmade in Italy, offers the Roubaix
700x24c tubular, and Continental now produces their top-of-the-line
Competition tubular in 700x25c width. Danny at [email protected] can get
both of these for you if you are interested.
I don't have any personal experience with Schwalbe tires.

In article
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] wrote:

> In the absence of a thermometer, said sizzle does not provide evidence
> of a temperature beyond 100o,

Yes, it does. Sizzling sound is incontorvertible proof
that the liquid water is in contact with material at a
temperature above the water's boiling point. That the
water starts as freezing water or frozen water strongly
suggests that the rim is well above 100 C.

Stelvio Pass ~ 2757 m. Boiling point of water: 90 C.