Heated Gloves

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by AndyP, Jan 3, 2005.

  1. AndyP

    AndyP Guest

    Noticed some heated gloves in a "Scotts of Stow" mini catalogue in some
    magazine the other day. I don't think it says much on the website from a
    quick look but I think it said they heat up to 40 degrees C and run off 1 D
    cell battery each. (In case it interests anyone.)

    http://www.scottsofstow.co.uk/Search.aspx?term=gloves&language=en-GB

    Tags:

  2. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    "AndyP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Noticed some heated gloves in a "Scotts of Stow" mini catalogue in some
    > magazine the other day. I don't think it says much on the website from a
    > quick look but I think it said they heat up to 40 degrees C and run off 1

    > cell battery each. (In case it interests anyone.)
    >
    > http://www.scottsofstow.co.uk/Search.aspx?term=gloves&language=en-GB

    I converted my Extremitties to do something simillar, see attached picture
    http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/misc/rtyu.jpg

    The size of the battery is a bit of a drawback though!

  3. Darren G

    Darren G Guest

    > "AndyP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Noticed some heated gloves in a "Scotts of Stow" mini catalogue in some
    > > magazine the other day. I don't think it says much on the website from a
    > > quick look but I think it said they heat up to 40 degrees C and run off 1

    > > cell battery each. (In case it interests anyone.)
    > >
    > > http://www.scottsofstow.co.uk/Search.aspx?term=gloves&language=en-GB
    > >

    > I converted my Extremitties to do something simillar, see attached picture
    > http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/misc/rtyu.jpg
    >
    > The size of the battery is a bit of a drawback though!

    I'm worried that you went to all the effort of setting that up just to
    amuse us lot!!

    And do they work? Isn't there a major risk of battery acid spilling and
    eating your rucksack?
    --
    Darren
    mail to darren not ng

  4. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    "Darren G" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > "AndyP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > > > Noticed some heated gloves in a "Scotts of Stow" mini catalogue in

    some
    > > > magazine the other day. I don't think it says much on the website

    from a
    > > > quick look but I think it said they heat up to 40 degrees C and run

    off 1
    > > > cell battery each. (In case it interests anyone.)
    > > >
    > > > http://www.scottsofstow.co.uk/Search.aspx?term=gloves&language=en-GB
    > > >

    > > I converted my Extremitties to do something simillar, see attached

    picture
    > > http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/misc/rtyu.jpg
    > >
    > > The size of the battery is a bit of a drawback though!
    > >

    > I'm worried that you went to all the effort of setting that up just to
    > amuse us lot!!

    What worries me is that some poor sod will buy a pair of these gloves
    thinking hat they will be of some use!

    > And do they work? Isn't there a major risk of battery acid spilling and
    > eating your rucksack?
    > --

    I lead lined the sack!

    One unforeseen problem is that the mitts are so hot the heat is transmitting
    through my ice axes and causing them to prematurely melt out. Must invest in
    some victorian style hickory shafted tools!

  5. Darren G

    Darren G Guest

    > "Darren G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > >
    > > > "AndyP" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]

    > some

    > from a

    > off 1

    > > > I converted my Extremitties to do something simillar, see attached

    > picture
    > > > http://www.stuartstuart.fsnet.co.uk/misc/rtyu.jpg
    > > >
    > > > The size of the battery is a bit of a drawback though!
    > > >

    > > I'm worried that you went to all the effort of setting that up just to
    > > amuse us lot!!

    > What worries me is that some poor sod will buy a pair of these gloves
    > thinking hat they will be of some use!

    fools and their cash ...

    > > And do they work? Isn't there a major risk of battery acid spilling and
    > > eating your rucksack?
    > > --

    > I lead lined the sack!

    so the lead will act as an electrode to generate a current. Current
    will then pass through your body to complete the circuit and keep your
    whole body warm then. Great idea! Better patent it quickly before
    somebody else does.

    --
    Darren
    mail to darren not ng

  6. C L Imber

    C L Imber Guest

    On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 00:29:03 -0000, Darren G <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> What worries me is that some poor sod will buy a pair of these gloves
    >> thinking hat they will be of some use!

    >fools and their cash ...

    I was given a pair of heated gloves the year before last. I used them
    once. I don't recommend them.

  7. C L Imber

    C L Imber Guest

    On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 19:15:21 -0000, "AndyP"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Noticed some heated gloves in a "Scotts of Stow" mini catalogue in some
    >magazine the other day. I don't think it says much on the website from a
    >quick look but I think it said they heat up to 40 degrees C and run off 1 D
    >cell battery each. (In case it interests anyone.)
    >
    >http://www.scottsofstow.co.uk/Search.aspx?term=gloves&language=en-GB

    One of the most useless Christmas presents I ever received.

  8. AndyP

    AndyP Guest

    "C L Imber" <[email protected]> wrote

    > I was given a pair of heated gloves the year before last. I used them
    > once. I don't recommend them.

    I wasn't planning on buying any but what's wrong with them?

  9. C L Imber

    C L Imber Guest

    On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 15:04:09 -0000, "AndyP"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"C L Imber" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> I was given a pair of heated gloves the year before last. I used them
    >> once. I don't recommend them.

    >I wasn't planning on buying any but what's wrong with them?

    They take a size D battery - heavy! The battery sits in a pocket on
    the back of the wrist - uncomfortable! They are switched on and off
    by taking out the battery - fiddley! A Duracel battery lasts for
    about 6 hours - expensive! The heating element is positioned in the
    centre of the palm - poor design! They don't warm the fingers -
    unsolved problem!

    However... It does make a good discussion in the pub - free pint!

  10. C L Imber

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"C L Imber" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> I was given a pair of heated gloves the year before last. I used them
    >> once. I don't recommend them.

    >I wasn't planning on buying any but what's wrong with them?

    They take a size D battery - heavy! The battery sits in a pocket on
    the back of the wrist - uncomfortable! They are switched on and off
    by taking out the battery - fiddley! A Duracel battery lasts for
    about 6 hours - expensive! The heating element is positioned in the
    centre of the palm - poor design! They don't warm the fingers -
    unsolved problem!

    However... It does make a good discussion in the pub - free pint!

  11. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > Noticed some heated gloves in a "Scotts of Stow" mini catalogue in some
    > magazine the other day. I don't think it says much on the website from a
    > quick look but I think it said they heat up to 40 degrees C and run off 1 D
    > cell battery each. (In case it interests anyone.)
    >
    > http://www.scottsofstow.co.uk/Search.aspx?term=gloves&language=en-GB

    Thanks, I'll have a look. I'm interested because my family
    have relatively recently taken up field archery - and it
    dunnarf get nippy out there at times.
    --
    All the best to everyone in 2005
    - Fran

  12. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > Noticed some heated gloves in a "Scotts of Stow" mini catalogue in some
    > magazine the other day. I don't think it says much on the website from a
    > quick look but I think it said they heat up to 40 degrees C and run off 1 D
    > cell battery each. (In case it interests anyone.)
    >
    > http://www.scottsofstow.co.uk/Search.aspx?term=gloves&language=en-GB

    Thanks, I'll have a look. I'm interested because my family
    have relatively recently taken up field archery - and it
    dunnarf get nippy out there at times.
    --
    All the best to everyone in 2005
    - Fran

  13. Fran

    Fran Guest

  14. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > The heating element is positioned in the
    > centre of the palm - poor design! They don't warm the fingers -
    > unsolved problem!

    Ah, so they may not be as good for archery as I'd hoped then?
    Bother.