Heathfield 200 this Sunday?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by MartinM, Mar 29, 2006.

  1. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Anyone else doing this?

    << 'bent/fixie advisory>>
    It are mostly in East Sussex

    Don't even think of entering on the line or riding along anyway, El
    Supremo has a special fleet of 4x4's for dealing with such miscreants.
     
    Tags:


  2. In article <[email protected]>,
    MartinM ([email protected]) wrote:
    > Anyone else doing this?
    >
    > << 'bent/fixie advisory>>
    > It are mostly in East Sussex
    >
    > Don't even think of entering on the line or riding along anyway, El
    > Supremo has a special fleet of 4x4's for dealing with such miscreants.


    I think most of the rest of the regulars are doing The Dean on
    Saturday...

    --
    Dave Larrington - <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/>
    My only hope in life is to die before I get my comeuppence.
     
  3. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Dave Larrington wrote:


    > I think most of the rest of the regulars are doing The Dean on
    > Saturday...


    Ahh, didn't spot that ; wouldn't do it anyway as;

    1. Once over the Severn is enough for me this year
    2. The Heathfield is harder
    3. I don't like Bunny girls ;-)
    4. Small matter of having to work Saturday

    have fun.......
     
  4. davek

    davek Guest

    MartinM wrote:
    > 1. Once over the Severn is enough for me this year


    The Dean is likely to be my only trip across the Severn this year - I'd
    love to do the Severn Across, but:
    a) I'm already down for the Invicta 400, and 400s on successive weekends
    would likely prove a bit ambitious for me
    b) it seems I can get to the start of the Invicta 400 by train much mroe
    easily than previously feared
    c) also, the Invicta 400 starts at the very civilised hour of noon,
    meaning I can get a proper sleep the night before and set off at a
    sensible time in the morning
    d) the thought of trying to snatch a bit of kip in a bus shelter in
    Winchester wins my vote every time. Oh yes it does. Mmmm!

    > 2. The Heathfield is harder


    A contentious statement if ever I saw one!

    Having not done either, I can't claim to be an authority, but I'd say
    the Dean looks harder on paper - 313km longways and 3900m upways (just
    100m short of scenery points), compared to 201km longways and 1800m upways.

    Talking of /hard/ rides, see you for the Elenith the following weekend? ;-)

    > 3. I don't like Bunny girls ;-)


    That's what you tell the wife, eh?

    > 4. Small matter of having to work Saturday


    Shame.

    > have fun.......


    You too.

    d.
     
  5. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    davek wrote:


    > Talking of /hard/ rides, see you for the Elenith the following weekend? ;-)


    naah, BTDISIGTTS, once is enough


    > > 3. I don't like Bunny girls ;-)

    >
    > That's what you tell the wife, eh?


    no ;-0


    I don't personally rate a 1200 start as civilsed on a 400, Severn
    Across is 0600 IIRC. The previous Invicta was 1400; that was certainly
    not civilised at 0300 after 250k outisde a garage in Winchester
     
  6. In article <[email protected]>, davek
    ([email protected]) wrote:
    > MartinM wrote:
    > > 1. Once over the Severn is enough for me this year

    >
    > The Dean is likely to be my only trip across the Severn this year - I'd
    > love to do the Severn Across, but:
    > a) I'm already down for the Invicta 400, and 400s on successive weekends
    > would likely prove a bit ambitious for me


    Our chums The Betes Noires are playing The Windmill on the Saturday and
    there's a BHPC race on the Sunday. Saved! I shall do the ECCA Festival
    200 on the Monday instead.

    > b) it seems I can get to the start of the Invicta 400 by train much mroe
    > easily than previously feared
    > c) also, the Invicta 400 starts at the very civilised hour of noon,
    > meaning I can get a proper sleep the night before and set off at a
    > sensible time in the morning


    Wot 'ee said. The Spurn Head 400 is a 5:30 start and miles away in the
    Frozen North. I feel a Travelodge moment coming on for that one.

    > d) the thought of trying to snatch a bit of kip in a bus shelter in
    > Winchester wins my vote every time. Oh yes it does. Mmmm!


    Sleep? We don't need no steekin' sleep!

    > > 2. The Heathfield is harder

    >
    > A contentious statement if ever I saw one!
    >
    > Having not done either, I can't claim to be an authority, but I'd say
    > the Dean looks harder on paper - 313km longways and 3900m upways (just
    > 100m short of scenery points), compared to 201km longways and 1800m upways.


    It's shortened to a mere 305 now, which is no doubt why the route sheet
    says 307 for the route through Oxford and 306 for the one avoiding the
    chavs... I have a certain amount of trepidation about this ride and not
    just from the vertigo-inducing crossing of That Bridge.

    --
    Dave Larrington - <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/>
    They came for Eamonn Holmes; I think I'm right in saying that I
    applauded.
     
  7. davek

    davek Guest

    Dave Larrington wrote:
    > I have a certain amount of trepidation about this ride and not
    > just from the vertigo-inducing crossing of That Bridge.


    You'll be pleased to know you're not the only one.

    I really really really really really hope the wind dies down a bit
    before I get as far as crossing That Bridge.

    d.
     
  8. In article <[email protected]>, davek
    ([email protected]) wrote:
    > Dave Larrington wrote:
    > > I have a certain amount of trepidation about this ride and not
    > > just from the vertigo-inducing crossing of That Bridge.

    >
    > You'll be pleased to know you're not the only one.
    >
    > I really really really really really hope the wind dies down a bit
    > before I get as far as crossing That Bridge.


    Likewise. However, I have a secret weapon. Well, two, if you count my
    new! IMPROVED!! go-faster haircut. Where the route sheet says "L at T
    no sp (in Winchcombe)", it omits to note that the next 5 km are up the
    Sodding Great Hill which forms the last bit of Scenery on the Cotswold
    Corker, and is followed by a 1:4 downhill on which it is practically
    impossible to let 'er rip, as it's narrow and twisty.

    I am going a Different Way at this point; even if it does add about 2.5
    km to the route it loses about 150 m of climbing. Via Gretton &
    Gotherington, detour fans.

    --
    Dave Larrington - <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/>
    A complimentary biro(tm) is /not/ to be sniffed at.
     
  9. In article <[email protected]>,
    MartinM ([email protected]) wrote:

    > I don't personally rate a 1200 start as civilsed on a 400, Severn
    > Across is 0600 IIRC. The previous Invicta was 1400; that was certainly
    > not civilised at 0300 after 250k outisde a garage in Winchester


    I've just noticed that the Invicta 300 starts at 03:00. That is Cruel
    and Unusual Punishment.

    --
    Dave Larrington - <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/>
    The thing about Tony Parsons, though, the defining aspect of his
    personality, is that he is a complete twat.
     
  10. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Dave Larrington wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > MartinM ([email protected]) wrote:
    >
    > > I don't personally rate a 1200 start as civilsed on a 400, Severn
    > > Across is 0600 IIRC. The previous Invicta was 1400; that was certainly
    > > not civilised at 0300 after 250k outisde a garage in Winchester

    >
    > I've just noticed that the Invicta 300 starts at 03:00. That is Cruel
    > and Unusual Punishment.


    the Heathfield 300 is 0400; IIRC from the yahoo AUK list Rob made the
    start 0300 as El Supremo's used to start then (well I remember that
    one, 30 mins sleep, good PBP training I suppose). But even El S has
    seen sense now, although the route sheet says you can start earlier.
     
  11. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    davek wrote:
    > Dave Larrington wrote:
    > > I have a certain amount of trepidation about this ride and not
    > > just from the vertigo-inducing crossing of That Bridge.

    >
    > You'll be pleased to know you're not the only one.
    >
    > I really really really really really hope the wind dies down a bit
    > before I get as far as crossing That Bridge.


    if it is essentially the Severn Across without the extra bit to/from
    Chalfont you should be OK; but the SA did more or less parallel the M4
    all the way back to the Thames Valley, it seems the last stretch is the
    sting in the tail of the Dean.
    On the SA the bit from Cotswoldsish to Yat Rock was a complete and
    utter barsteward due to the headwind. There was only one stupid hill
    just after the bridge.
     
  12. davek

    davek Guest

    Dave Larrington wrote:
    > I've just noticed that the Invicta 300 starts at 03:00. That is Cruel
    > and Unusual Punishment.


    But it's great! It means you get the night-time leg out of the way
    first, and you get to ride it as a big bunch, highly amusing as you ride
    through Chav central (aka the Medway towns).

    d.
     
  13. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    davek wrote:
    > Dave Larrington wrote:
    > > I've just noticed that the Invicta 300 starts at 03:00. That is Cruel
    > > and Unusual Punishment.

    >
    > But it's great! It means you get the night-time leg out of the way
    > first, and you get to ride it as a big bunch, highly amusing as you ride
    > through Chav central (aka the Medway towns).


    we had the same thing on El Supremo's; only it was Brighton (no chavs
    there). You also get to ride into the sunrise (which is not as
    satisfying as doing it at the end of a 400) presumably around the
    cliffs of Thanet rather than Beachy Head?
     
  14. davek

    davek Guest

    MartinM wrote:
    > You also get to ride into the sunrise (which is not as
    > satisfying as doing it at the end of a 400) presumably around the
    > cliffs of Thanet rather than Beachy Head?


    On last year's ride, I got to see the sunrise just as I hit the coast at
    Reculver - couldn't really have timed it better. The fastest riders
    would have been in Margate by then. Unfortunately, it was too foggy to
    really appreciate the full glory of the sun coming up, but the
    silhouettes of Reculver Towers shrouded in wisps of low cloud made a
    mightily atmospheric sight.

    d.
     
  15. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    davek wrote:
    > MartinM wrote:
    > > You also get to ride into the sunrise (which is not as
    > > satisfying as doing it at the end of a 400) presumably around the
    > > cliffs of Thanet rather than Beachy Head?

    >
    > On last year's ride, I got to see the sunrise just as I hit the coast at
    > Reculver - couldn't really have timed it better. The fastest riders
    > would have been in Margate by then. Unfortunately, it was too foggy to
    > really appreciate the full glory of the sun coming up, but the
    > silhouettes of Reculver Towers shrouded in wisps of low cloud made a
    > mightily atmospheric sight.
    >


    I really have no idea where I'll be for the sunrise on the El-S 300 as
    the route is so incredibly complicated, possibly Dungeness.
    Possibly still in bed
     
  16. In article <[email protected]>,
    MartinM ([email protected]) wrote:

    > if it is essentially the Severn Across without the extra bit to/from
    > Chalfont you should be OK; but the SA did more or less parallel the M4
    > all the way back to the Thames Valley, it seems the last stretch is the
    > sting in the tail of the Dean.
    > On the SA the bit from Cotswoldsish to Yat Rock was a complete and
    > utter barsteward due to the headwind. There was only one stupid hill
    > just after the bridge.


    Oh no, we've got a double crossing of the Ridgeway after that. Like the
    middle of the Marlborough Connection in reverse. I would be quite
    looking forward to the descent after Lambourn, save that it will
    undoubtedly be dark by the time I get there, chiz.

    --
    Dave Larrington - <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/>
    Pepperoni and green peppers, mushrooms, olives, chives!
     
  17. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Dave Larrington wrote:

    > Oh no, we've got a double crossing of the Ridgeway after that.


    you have my sympathies; looking at the route from the AUK calendar it
    seems to go across the Ridgeway in the reverse direction of the
    Anfractuous 200 (of Arrivee cover fame). Last year Phil Chadwick was
    selling the info control at Lambourne (his home) to avoid having to go
    up it, but had no takers, it wasn't that bad anyway.

    So does this mean that I am doing Severn Across in the company (very
    briefly) of a Mr Kahn of this parish and no-one else?

    Do I qualify for an AUK award / Sectioning if I go straight down to
    Portsmouth and do the IOW after it?
     
  18. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    MartinM wrote:
    > Dave Larrington wrote:
    >
    > > Oh no, we've got a double crossing of the Ridgeway after that.

    >
    > you have my sympathies; looking at the route from the AUK calendar it
    > seems to go across the Ridgeway in the reverse direction of the
    > Anfractuous 200 (of Arrivee cover fame). Last year Phil Chadwick was
    > selling the info control at Lambourne (his home) to avoid having to go
    > up it, but had no takers, it wasn't that bad anyway.
    >
    > So does this mean that I am doing Severn Across in the company (very
    > briefly) of a Mr Kahn of this parish and no-one else?
    >


    You know I talked about it, I'd like to do the event but not this year,
    I really can't be ar$ed to make the necessary arrangements. I am doing
    the Plains 300 instead, which starts at 23:00 on the Saturday. Next
    year.
     
  19. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Dave Larrington wrote:

    >
    > Wot 'ee said. The Spurn Head 400 is a 5:30 start and miles away in the
    > Frozen North. I feel a Travelodge moment coming on for that one.
    >


    Let me know if you need help with arrangements for this. It'll be good
    to meet you. The route goes within 3km of my house after 27.7 km !!!
     
  20. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    MSeries wrote:

    > You know I talked about it, I'd like to do the event but not this year,
    > I really can't be ar$ed to make the necessary arrangements. I am doing
    > the Plains 300 instead, which starts at 23:00 on the Saturday. Next
    > year.


    I certainly shan't be doing it again next year if it's as early in the
    calendar; the main reason for doing it this year is our 400 2 weeks
    later; quite fancy the Invicta again. Severn Across was a filler
    between the 600s and the PBP in 2003. Apparently the
    Cambridge-York-Cambridge is on very busy roads with no real
    alternative. Quite like the idea of the 3 coasts 600, how hard is that?
     
Loading...
Loading...