Heathfield 200 this Sunday?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by MartinM, Mar 29, 2006.

  1. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    Dave Larrington wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > dkahn400 ([email protected]) wrote:
    > > MartinM wrote:
    > > > what about the Bunny Girls?

    > > Sadly absent this year. That is to say, I didn't see any. :-(

    > Nor I. I got a mighty cheer from some of the Good Burghers of Lambourn
    > and another from some post-pub types on the way back into Oxfod, but
    > bunny-girls sadly absent. I shall be having Words with Nik about this
    > ;-)

    He did say at the start he was worried they might not be there this
    year. And he'd run out of Go Bars for 50p. Even before Howard Waller
    had tried to buy his entire stock. Standards are slipping.

    --
    Dave...

  2. nik

    nik Guest

    The message <[email protected]>
    from "dkahn400" <[email protected]> contains these words:

    > Dave Larrington wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > dkahn400 ([email protected]) wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Sadly absent this year. That is to say, I didn't see any. :-(

    > > Nor I. I got a mighty cheer from some of the Good Burghers of Lambourn
    > > and another from some post-pub types on the way back into Oxfod, but
    > > bunny-girls sadly absent. I shall be having Words with Nik about this
    > > ;-)

    > He did say at the start he was worried they might not be there this
    > year. And he'd run out of Go Bars for 50p. Even before Howard Waller
    > had tried to buy his entire stock. Standards are slipping.

    Well I do apologise for the absence of bunny girls, I did lay on some
    genuine bunnies but no one seems to have noticed them. And I also have
    to break the sad news to Mr Kenning that he doesn't get the Lantern
    Rouge.

    I have to take issue about the badgers though. There were several when
    I checked the route 3 weeks back and I wasn't even really looking. I'm
    not convinced Mr Larrington was paying proper attention!

    Thanks for the reports.

    Nik

  3. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    dkahn400 wrote:
    > MartinM wrote:
    > > what about the Bunny Girls?

    > Sadly absent this year. That is to say, I didn't see any. :-(

    well I got El Supremo in head to toe dayglo and AUK vomit coloured cap
    ;-)

  4. In article <[email protected]>, nik
    ([email protected]) wrote:

    > Well I do apologise for the absence of bunny girls, I did lay on some
    > genuine bunnies but no one seems to have noticed them. And I also have
    > to break the sad news to Mr Kenning that he doesn't get the Lantern
    > Rouge.

    I think one of them managed to run *under* the trike on the way out of
    Lambourn. As there were no chunks of fur or offal in the oily bits when
    I got back to Oxfod, I can only assume that it was the protrusion into
    our dimension of a vastly hyperintelligent pan-dimensional being and
    that the whole business with the carrots and shagging just being a
    front.

    > I have to take issue about the badgers though. There were several when
    > I checked the route 3 weeks back and I wasn't even really looking. I'm
    > not convinced Mr Larrington was paying proper attention!

    Where, eh? EH? We, the people, demand detailed Dead Badger Sighting
    reports, with map references, photos and little metal tripods. A bit
    like logging UFO sightings...

    Maffeo Barberini (1568-1644) was made entirely of salmon.

  5. nik

    nik Guest

    The message <[email protected]>
    from Dave Larrington <[email protected]> contains these words:

    > Where, eh? EH? We, the people, demand detailed Dead Badger Sighting
    > reports, with map references, photos and little metal tripods.

    Well I'm pretty certain there was one halfway up Cleeve Hill on the right ;-)

    Nik

  6. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    nik wrote:
    > The message <[email protected]>
    > from Dave Larrington <[email protected]> contains these words:
    >
    > > Where, eh? EH? We, the people, demand detailed Dead Badger Sighting
    > > reports, with map references, photos and little metal tripods.

    > Well I'm pretty certain there was one halfway up Cleeve Hill on the right ;-)

    Ah yes, Cleeve Hill. There was a right turn at the top of that which I
    forgot to look for until I was 1 km past it. Mr. Larrington avoided
    the hill altogether. I tackled it in both directions. :)

    --
    Dave...

  7. davek

    davek Guest

    nik wrote:
    > And I also have
    > to break the sad news to Mr Kenning that he doesn't get the Lantern
    > Rouge.

    Ah well, never mind. Still, I spent over 19 hours on the road, so I
    think I got pretty good value for money out of the ride. :)

    d.

  8. nik

    nik Guest

    The message <[email protected]>
    from "dkahn400" <[email protected]> contains these words:

    > Ah yes, Cleeve Hill. There was a right turn at the top of that which I
    > forgot to look for until I was 1 km past it. Mr. Larrington avoided
    > the hill altogether. I tackled it in both directions. :)

    I suppose you don't really want to know that the next right turn would
    have got you back on route without reclimbing the hill?

    Nik

  9. In article <[email protected]>,
    dkahn400 ([email protected]) wrote:
    > nik wrote:
    > > The message <[email protected]>
    > > from Dave Larrington <[email protected]> contains these words:
    > >
    > > > Where, eh? EH? We, the people, demand detailed Dead Badger Sighting
    > > > reports, with map references, photos and little metal tripods.

    > > Well I'm pretty certain there was one halfway up Cleeve Hill on the right ;-)

    > Ah yes, Cleeve Hill. There was a right turn at the top of that which I
    > forgot to look for until I was 1 km past it. Mr. Larrington avoided
    > the hill altogether. I tackled it in both directions. :)

    Well, there you go. It's not /really/ cheating if one gets someone else
    to the climb the hill on one's behalf. Is it?

    All those who did the full climb out of Chepstow take one step forward.
    CHADWICK!! Where d'you think /you're/ going!

    Stop it! You're scarin' the Hippo...

  10. davek

    davek Guest

    Dave Larrington wrote:
    > All those who did the full climb out of Chepstow take one step forward.

    <steps forward>

    No-one told me there was a shortcut! Sods!

    d.

  11. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    davek wrote:
    > Dave Larrington wrote:
    > > All those who did the full climb out of Chepstow take one step forward.

    > <steps forward>
    >
    > No-one told me there was a shortcut! Sods!

    there are no shortcuts in Audax, just long cuts which avoid the scenic
    bits. At least that is what Al Coulah says.

    Phil also missed the last scenic bit of the Anfractuous, although that
    was permitted.

  12. In article <[email protected]>, davek
    ([email protected]) wrote:
    > Dave Larrington wrote:
    > > All those who did the full climb out of Chepstow take one step forward.

    > <steps forward>
    >
    > No-one told me there was a shortcut! Sods!

    If you'd made good on your "See you in Chepstow"...

    For the record you come out of Tesco's car park and turn left at the
    lights as per the route sheet. About halfway up the hill, turn left SP
    Bulwark and follow your nose all the way down to the bottom of the hill,
    where there's a big B&Q. Take the exit signposted to the motorway and
    you emerge at the roundabout immediately before the bridge.

    Pepperoni and green peppers, mushrooms, olives, chives!