Heathrow to Gatwick - help?

pedalhome

Nov 24, 2003
Hello any who might be able to assist -

A couple of us uncooth American-types are heading across the pond in July to ride the Alps. We're going to be transferring from Heathrow (incoming) to Gatwick (outgoing) airports. We've got 3 hours in between flights.

Question: the train schedule shows a 70 minute transit time - any thoughts on if 3 hours is enough time to make our Gatwick flight from Heathrow?

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

Signed,

Rabid Miller fans, michael&Jenny

I would say that the train schedule is pretty much going to be accurate. What airline are you on? I know that in the train station there are, ( or were ) British Airways check in desks, to include your luggage. I don't remember if there are other airlines that have the same set up.

The Gatwick Express goes from Victoria station to Gatwick in about 30 mins. The trains will have plenty of room for your bags, and are clean and even offer drinks, and snacks for sale during the short ride. Be prepared for someone from Europe to say the trains are dirty, slow, etc, but take that with a grain of salt.

If you're like most of us Americans it will so far outshine our public transit that you'll be impressed even if they are not.

www.baa.com might be of some help.

Good Luck.

>Be prepared for someone from Europe to say the trains are >dirty, slow, etc, but take that with a grain of salt.

The trains are dirty, slow etc, but I don't know about the salt. (Sorry coudn't resist!;) )

I would say that, everything being okay, three hours is plenty time using the Heathrow Express and then the Gatwick Express.

However, people complain because our transport infrastructure is old and has had massive underinvestment for a long time and lets you down regularly.

But if it was my money, I would risk it.

Originally posted by pedalhome
Hello any who might be able to assist -

A couple of us uncooth American-types are heading across the pond in July to ride the Alps. We're going to be transferring from Heathrow (incoming) to Gatwick (outgoing) airports. We've got 3 hours in between flights.

Question: the train schedule shows a 70 minute transit time - any thoughts on if 3 hours is enough time to make our Gatwick flight from Heathrow?

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated.

Signed,

Rabid Miller fans, michael&Jenny

Heathrow Express to Paddington, every 15 minutes, 20 minutes journey time, no problem.

Gatwick Express, journye time 30 mintes, around every 20 minutes, no problem.

Paddington to Victoria, with luggage, a pain in the neck!

3 Hours should still be enough though!!

Only other option is a very expensive taxi ride.

Originally posted by jordon198

If you're like most of us Americans it will so far outshine our public transit that you'll be impressed even if they are not.

LOL whatever. There'll probably be a tube strike or a derailment or something. That always seems to happen. Or like last year we'll get a quarter inch of snow and all the flights will be delayed by 48hours and trains cancelled (unlikely in July I know...)

Anyway instead of just ranting I'll rant and help too ;)

Found this link on Google which might be of some use if you hadn't already considered a bus...

http://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/heathrow_gatwick_transfer.htm