Heathrow

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Robberg, Apr 6, 2003.

  1. Robberg

    Robberg Guest

    Has anybody had experience leaving Heathrow by bicycle, any assistance would be appreciated. Also
    when flying out of Heathrow are bike boxes available ???

    Thanks

    --
    Kevin & Dianne Hughes

    Tags:

  2. Mike Kruger

    Mike Kruger Guest

  3. NEVER use bike boxes if you can help it. Your bike is more vulnerable in them in our considerable
    experience.

  4. Cycling Joe

    Cycling Joe Guest

    What about hard sided bike boxes?

    Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:
    > NEVER use bike boxes if you can help it. Your bike is more vulnerable in them in our considerable
    > experience.

  5. Tim Smith

    Tim Smith Guest

    "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >NEVER use bike boxes if you can help it. Your bike is more vulnerable in them in our considerable
    >experience.

    As you said: "if you can help it." Many airlines, especially for some reason the US-owned ones
    (American, United, and some of the other soon-to-be-ex airlines) require cardboard (or hard shell)
    boxes. When I last flew from Heathrow to the states, American required a box, which at least they
    supplied. They also insisted that I completely deflate my tires. Not because this is required for
    safety, but because they wanted to feel all around the deflated tires to make sure there were no
    sticks of dynamite (or heroin?) hidden inside.

  6. A real hard case should be fine, but cardboard isn't because the ONLY time in numerous numerous
    flights we used them 2 out of 7 frames were cracked, and we never had a crack on any other occasion