Heatwaves and Thai food...... recipe for fish cakes

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Peter Lucas, Feb 21, 2004.

  1. Peter Lucas

    Peter Lucas Guest

    Damn heatwave here in Brisbane at the moment. Got to 40c today (104F)

    So I cooked Thai food for dinner :)

    It's great while you sit in 24C air-con sipping *very* cold bubbly ;-)

    Here's the fish cake recipe with a dipping sauce. Adjust to your own requirements.

    THAI FISH CAKES (Tod Man Pla)

    Preparation time: 25 mins Total cooking time: 5-10 mins Serves 4-6

    450g (1 lb) white fish fillets 3 tablespoons cornflour 1 tablespoon fish sauce 1 egg beaten 15g (1/2
    cup) coriander leaves 1-2 teaspoons chopped red chillies (or as much as you want :) 3 tablespoons
    Red Curry paste (commercial stuff is fine) 100g (3/4 cup) green beans very finely sliced 2 spring
    onions finely chopped 125ml (1/2 cup) oil for frying

    Process the fish in a food processor for 20 secs or until smooth. Add the cornflour, fish sauce,
    beaten egg, coriander leaves, chilli and curry paste. Process for 10 secs or until well combined.

    Transfer the fish mixture to a large bowl. Add the green beans and spring onions and mix well. Using
    wet hands, form a couple of tablespoons of the mixture into a flattish pattie..

    Heat the oil in a heavy based frying pan over medium heat. Cook 4 fish cakes at a time until
    they are a dark golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately with a
    dipping sauce.

    (You can prepare the fish cakes and store them, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 4 hours
    before you cook them)

    BASIC DIPPING SAUCE (Nam Prik)

    Combine 60ml (1/4 cup) of fish sauce, 1 tablespoon of white vinegar, 2-3 teaspoons of finely chopped
    red chillies, 1 teaspoon of sugar and 2 teaspoons of chopped coriander stems. Stir until sugar
    dissolves.

    --
    Peter Lucas Brisbane Australia

    Atheism is a non-prophet organization

    Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?

    Gene Police: YOU.. Out of the pool!

    Help stamp out and eradicate superfluous redundancy

    Tags:

  2. <snipped>
    "Lucas, Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Damn heatwave here in Brisbane at the moment. Got to 40c today (104F)
    I'll take your heat if you want to deal with this mess.. Excerpt taken from the Halifax Daily
    News, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada "Officials were urging people to stay home after Old Man
    Winter dumped 95 centimeters (37.4 inches) of snow on the city over about 24 hours. That's more
    than metro has experienced since weather watchers started keeping records in 1871." With more on
    the way tonight.. Eric, from Canada

  3. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Lucas, Peter wrote:
    > Damn heatwave here in Brisbane at the moment. Got to 40c today (104F)
    >
    > So I cooked Thai food for dinner :)
    >
    > It's great while you sit in 24C air-con sipping *very* cold bubbly ;-)
    >
    > Here's the fish cake recipe with a dipping sauce. Adjust to your own requirements.
    >
    > THAI FISH CAKES (Tod Man Pla)

    Excellent! Just as I remember! Thanks, Peter.

    Jill