Heatwaves and Thai food...... recipe for fish cakes

Peter Lucas

Guest
Damn heatwave here in Brisbane at the moment. Got to 40c today (104F)

So I cooked Thai food for dinner :)

It's great while you sit in 24C air-con sipping *very* cold bubbly ;-)

Here's the fish cake recipe with a dipping sauce. Adjust to your own requirements.

THAI FISH CAKES (Tod Man Pla)

Preparation time: 25 mins Total cooking time: 5-10 mins Serves 4-6

450g (1 lb) white fish fillets 3 tablespoons cornflour 1 tablespoon fish sauce 1 egg beaten 15g (1/2
cup) coriander leaves 1-2 teaspoons chopped red chillies (or as much as you want :) 3 tablespoons
Red Curry paste (commercial stuff is fine) 100g (3/4 cup) green beans very finely sliced 2 spring
onions finely chopped 125ml (1/2 cup) oil for frying

Process the fish in a food processor for 20 secs or until smooth. Add the cornflour, fish sauce,
beaten egg, coriander leaves, chilli and curry paste. Process for 10 secs or until well combined.

Transfer the fish mixture to a large bowl. Add the green beans and spring onions and mix well. Using
wet hands, form a couple of tablespoons of the mixture into a flattish pattie..

Heat the oil in a heavy based frying pan over medium heat. Cook 4 fish cakes at a time until
they are a dark golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately with a
dipping sauce.

(You can prepare the fish cakes and store them, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 4 hours
before you cook them)

BASIC DIPPING SAUCE (Nam Prik)

Combine 60ml (1/4 cup) of fish sauce, 1 tablespoon of white vinegar, 2-3 teaspoons of finely chopped
red chillies, 1 teaspoon of sugar and 2 teaspoons of chopped coriander stems. Stir until sugar
dissolves.

--
Peter Lucas Brisbane Australia

Atheism is a non-prophet organization

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?

Gene Police: YOU.. Out of the pool!

Help stamp out and eradicate superfluous redundancy

<snipped>
"Lucas, Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Damn heatwave here in Brisbane at the moment. Got to 40c today (104F)
I'll take your heat if you want to deal with this mess.. Excerpt taken from the Halifax Daily
News, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada "Officials were urging people to stay home after Old Man
Winter dumped 95 centimeters (37.4 inches) of snow on the city over about 24 hours. That's more
than metro has experienced since weather watchers started keeping records in 1871." With more on
the way tonight.. Eric, from Canada

Lucas, Peter wrote:
> Damn heatwave here in Brisbane at the moment. Got to 40c today (104F)
>
> So I cooked Thai food for dinner :)
>
> It's great while you sit in 24C air-con sipping *very* cold bubbly ;-)
>
> Here's the fish cake recipe with a dipping sauce. Adjust to your own requirements.
>
> THAI FISH CAKES (Tod Man Pla)

Excellent! Just as I remember! Thanks, Peter.

Jill