Heavy beginner

HeavyClyde

Mar 9, 2014
Looking to purchase my first real bike, trying not to break the bank. Any suggestions? I'm 335 but dropping weight pretty good. 15 lbs in 2 months. I'd prefer to get something sooner rather than later, and under 1000 total. A lot of the posts around don't have people as heavy as me recent enough for me to get a good idea what I should be looking for, and I'm just not that up on brands, styles, or requirements I might need as a heavy rider. Most of the riding will be local paved bike trails, with some light off road. I've been looking at hybrid bikes, but honestly, there are so many choices and so many unknowns, I'm getting a little swamped. Would love any help or direction anyone could give.

Thanks.

KHS and Trek are decent. Defy is another one. Good luck and hope you find one you like
big-smile.png

Articles like the following give you an idea of what tire width will support your weight and be comfortable! "http://www.bccclub.org/documents/Tireinflation.pdf" Ensure any bike you look at will run tires wide enough. In 2014 there are many options for road, gravel, cyclocross bikes with wide tires.
If you are not spending big $ keep away from suspension, this breaks with weight alone ( 240lb's alone on the road).
The sort of bikes I would look at are Kona rove, Specialized awol, Surly bikes, Salsa bikes and good cyclocross bikes. Get the one with the strongest wheelset. Good luck