heavy riders

bcham

Jun 20, 2006
Hey all,
I am overweight at the moment, and am buckling my rear wheel. Apart from losing the weight, which I am doing at a rate of about a kilo a week, are there wheels that perform better for heavier riders, or should I buy a mountain bike to ride until I am around the 100 kilo mark? be kind! Thanks a lot.:)

bcham said:
Hey all,
I am overweight at the moment, and am buckling my rear wheel. Apart from losing the weight, which I am doing at a rate of about a kilo a week, are there wheels that perform better for heavier riders, or should I buy a mountain bike to ride until I am around the 100 kilo mark? be kind! Thanks a lot.:)

You don't need an MTB just because you are a bigger person-but you do need an equipment set-up that accomodates the added load.

Higher spoke count wheels with heavier rims will generally be stronger lighter, lower spoke-count wheels. A quality build is important though as strong components poorly built can lead to a weak wheel. 36 spokes 3-cross on properly built on a Velocity Deep-V or similar rim would be a very sturdy wheel indeed.

Using a larger tire will do a lot to protect the wheel. Most typical road rims easily accomodate a 28mm tire.

good luck

bcham said:
Hey all,

My guess is you just had a bad wheel. 100kg is big but no where near the limit of commonly available wheels. Any bike shop should be able to get you a perfectly fine wheel. I'd suggest 36 spokes on a good hub and rim. A wider tire will make the ride more comfortable, but won't make the wheel any stronger.

Really, people much bigger than you come in here looking for advice and sometimes it does get challenging - you're easy. Good luck slim.

DiabloScott said:
My guess is you just had a bad wheel. 100kg is big but no where near the limit of commonly available wheels. Any bike shop should be able to get you a perfectly fine wheel. I'd suggest 36 spokes on a good hub and rim. A wider tire will make the ride more comfortable, but won't make the wheel any stronger.

Really, people much bigger than you come in here looking for advice and sometimes it does get challenging - you're easy. Good luck slim.
He isn't 100kg yet, his present weight is not mentioned.

John M said:
You don't need an MTB just because you are a bigger person-but you do need an equipment set-up that accomodates the added load.

Higher spoke count wheels with heavier rims will generally be stronger lighter, lower spoke-count wheels. A quality build is important though as strong components poorly built can lead to a weak wheel. 36 spokes 3-cross on properly built on a Velocity Deep-V or similar rim would be a very sturdy wheel indeed.

Using a larger tire will do a lot to protect the wheel. Most typical road rims easily accomodate a 28mm tire.

good luck
Thanks to all that have replied to my queryt. Cheers!

DiabloScott said:
A wider tire will make the ride more comfortable, but won't make the wheel any stronger.
Agreed, but it does cushion the instantaneous shock impacts better when hitting the inevitable potholes and ruts at speed, mainly because the tyres can be run at slightly lower pressures.

Comparing at extremes, you would definitley feel the difference through the saddle if you ran say a 2.1" MTB tire at 65PSI compared to a 23mm road slick at 130psi.

So, while the 23/28mm difference might not be felt at the sit bones, I think it might make a measurable difference to wheel life for this guy. Of course, better wheels will help too.