heavy weight

probob

Aug 20, 2004
can anyone tell me the disadvantages of have a heavy bike(about 36lbs). i know this a fairly obvisous question but i'm not entirely sure.

Obviously it's going to be more difficult to move cross country. Weight is, generally speaking the enemy of speed. Unless you're riding DH specific, in which case that extra weight will add to momentum.

Climbing will be more difficult.

On the upside though, you're probably looking at a tougher frame. So if you're into drops, hucking and DH'ing it is a positive thing.

My hardtail is 37 pounds (just checked) and its quite heavy, so i guess your right

Generally heavier bikes are built with steel and welded. Lighter bikes are built with aluminum or something lighter and attached with a more specialized method. There is alot more flex in the lighter weight frames. The lighter frames absorb some of the shock. Better componets are put on the lighter bikes at the factory, and they sell for more money. If you ride a heavy bike downhill, you might be ok, but going back up is a whole different story.