Hed 3 Wheels...vertical oscillation?

danmadone

Mar 1, 2006
Has anyone ridden the Hed 3 tri spoke wheels (mine are clinchers) and noticed an up and down oscillation? I purchased a new set and the rear moves up and down noticeably...enough to make my forearms jiggle (I weigh 170#...so it's not the fat that's jiggling :) )

Is this normal in a tri spoke carbon wheel or would one consider this an imperfect wheel?

John M

Jun 21, 2005
danmadone said:
Has anyone ridden the Hed 3 tri spoke wheels (mine are clinchers) and noticed an up and down oscillation? I purchased a new set and the rear moves up and down noticeably...enough to make my forearms jiggle (I weigh 170#...so it's not the fat that's jiggling :) )

Is this normal in a tri spoke carbon wheel or would one consider this an imperfect wheel?

Check to make sure that your tire is evenly seated around the wheel. I read on another forum that some brands of tires (Vredesteins and Vittoria Corsa for example) fit loosely on HED wheels and maybe your rear tire is not fully seated.

danmadone

Mar 1, 2006
I have just swapped my madone wheels with the Heds and the bike rides as smooth as silk. The front wheel is suspect and oscillates energetically even with a new tire and tube mounted. Will visit the LBS on Monday...