Hed 3 Wheels...vertical oscillation?

danmadone

Mar 1, 2006
Has anyone ridden the Hed 3 tri spoke wheels (mine are clinchers) and noticed an up and down oscillation? I purchased a new set and the rear moves up and down noticeably...enough to make my forearms jiggle (I weigh 170#...so it's not the fat that's jiggling :) )

Is this normal in a tri spoke carbon wheel or would one consider this an imperfect wheel?

danmadone said:
Has anyone ridden the Hed 3 tri spoke wheels (mine are clinchers) and noticed an up and down oscillation? I purchased a new set and the rear moves up and down noticeably...enough to make my forearms jiggle (I weigh 170#...so it's not the fat that's jiggling :) )

Is this normal in a tri spoke carbon wheel or would one consider this an imperfect wheel?

Check to make sure that your tire is evenly seated around the wheel. I read on another forum that some brands of tires (Vredesteins and Vittoria Corsa for example) fit loosely on HED wheels and maybe your rear tire is not fully seated.

I have just swapped my madone wheels with the Heds and the bike rides as smooth as silk. The front wheel is suspect and oscillates energetically even with a new tire and tube mounted. Will visit the LBS on Monday...