Hed 3 Wheels

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Babz13, Dec 12, 2005.

  1. Babz13

    Babz13 Guest

    I am pretty new to the Tri world. I just got a new bike, with Hed 3
    wheels. I have two questions regarding these wheels. 1) With the tires
    glued on to the rims, how do you fix/change tires on these wheels? Are
    you just screwed if something happens during a race? If you just wanted
    to change them due to wear/tear how do you do it? 2) The speed-o-meter
    I have currently attaches to the typical normal metal spoke. With these
    being non-existent on these new wheels, what are my options as far as
    bike computers?

    Tags:

  2. "Babz13" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1134436551.948407.174950
    @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > I am pretty new to the Tri world. I just got a new bike, with Hed 3
    > wheels. I have two questions regarding these wheels. 1) With the tires
    > glued on to the rims, how do you fix/change tires on these wheels? Are
    > you just screwed if something happens during a race? If you just wanted
    > to change them due to wear/tear how do you do it? 2) The speed-o-meter
    > I have currently attaches to the typical normal metal spoke. With these
    > being non-existent on these new wheels, what are my options as far as
    > bike computers?

    I'm not exactly an expert here, since I've never had tubulars (the king of
    tires/wheels you have, with the tires glued to the rims). My understanding
    is that the tire can be pulled away from teh rim with some effort, and that
    a replacement tire can be attached and glued in a reasonable amount of time
    once you've gotten the hang of it.

    As for the magnet question, I think they make one that sticks to the carbon
    fiber spoke. No idea where you get one, though. Anyone else know?

    Tom

  3. rsquared

    rsquared Guest

    Babz13 wrote:
    > I am pretty new to the Tri world. I just got a new bike, with Hed 3
    > wheels. I have two questions regarding these wheels. 1) With the tires
    > glued on to the rims, how do you fix/change tires on these wheels? Are
    > you just screwed if something happens during a race? If you just wanted
    > to change them due to wear/tear how do you do it? 2) The speed-o-meter
    > I have currently attaches to the typical normal metal spoke. With these
    > being non-existent on these new wheels, what are my options as far as
    > bike computers?

    You are not screwed, just delayed. While we're here...

    The tire can require some effort to remove, especially if it is cold.
    Consider an old trick; remove the quickrelease skewer, sneak/wiggle it
    under the tire, and use it as a pry bar.

    Do a little searching in this group. Changing tubulars on-the-road is
    a common topic.

    There is no need to carry glue; just prep and pre-glue your spare.
    However, not everyone carries a spare on race day.

    rsquared

  4. >

    > There is no need to carry glue; just prep and pre-glue your spare.
    > However, not everyone carries a spare on race day.
    >
    > rsquared

    What??? Who would carry a spare on race day ;-)!!!!

    What!!! I never race without my spare wheel, and seat strapped to my back!!!!!

    I'm wearing my Nomex (tm)* suit, Lets start that thread again, the
    group has been a little slow!!!!

    roger

    *http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomex

    --
    To email me, remove the greeting from my email address.

    (for athletes) The Digital Athletic Log http://rogercortesi.com/athleticlog/
    (for nerds) The Online Equation Editor http://rogercortesi.com/eqn/

  5. trimark

    trimark Guest

    There is a pretty good intro into tyres and wheels on Sheldon Browns
    website: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html

    the honest answer though is if you are not much of a mechanical person,
    don't want the hassle, the additional expense, and tyres are not likely
    to make much difference to your times, take the wheels back and ask to
    swap them for ones that have tubes/tyres.

    Since Roger has his Nomex(tm) suit on, perhaps he could explain why
    there is no real benefit to tubs aka tubeless tyres anymore... ps.
    Anyone over-40 claiming tubs make you go faster is automatically banned
    from this discussion...

    Now, as for the magnet, I can atest to the powers of magnets. Don't
    worry about putting one one your front wheel. Buy a big bag full and
    stuff them in a backpack. When you are passed in a race by a draft
    buster/referee on a motorbike, or other motorised vehicle you'll
    suddenly go much faster than you imagine... they just better go in the
    same direction as the course otherwise you may find the magnetic
    attractionl somewhat frustrating.

    If you don't fancy the idea of a backpack full of magnets, then Cateye
    sell a magnet http://www.trisports.com/cacowhma.html and there is a
    brief mention in the Hed FAQ
    http://www.hedcycling.com/technical/faq.php

    Given the price of Hed wheels, you think the cheapskates would include
    a magnet, extra cost 25 cents!

  6. rsquared

    rsquared Guest

    trimark wrote:
    <<SNIP>>
    > Since Roger has his Nomex(tm) suit on, perhaps he could explain why
    > there is no real benefit to tubs aka tubeless tyres anymore... ps.
    > Anyone over-40 claiming tubs make you go faster is automatically banned
    > from this discussion...

    <<SNIP>>

    Can I be "grandfathered"? : )

    rsquared

  7. Mark \(MSA\)

    Mark \(MSA\) Guest

    Again, "95% of Triathletes are not proper cyclists". I rest my case.

    --
    Mark
    _______________________________________

  8. rsquared

    rsquared Guest

    Mark (MSA) wrote:
    > Again, "95% of Triathletes are not proper cyclists". I rest my case.
    >
    > --
    > Mark

    I never understood why a triathlete would take offense to such a
    statement. The same is true of decathletes and distance running.

    A person can be a superior cyclist (swimmer, runner), yet in a broader
    sense, be an inferior *athlete*.

    Most cyclists are not proper triathletes. True?

    rsquared

  9. Harold Buck

    Harold Buck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "rsquared" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Mark (MSA) wrote:
    > > Again, "95% of Triathletes are not proper cyclists". I rest my case.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Mark

    > I never understood why a triathlete would take offense to such a
    > statement. The same is true of decathletes and distance running.
    >
    > A person can be a superior cyclist (swimmer, runner), yet in a broader
    > sense, be an inferior *athlete*.
    >
    > Most cyclists are not proper triathletes. True?

    I think you can say reliably that "Most people who are superior (top 5%)
    at (activity A) are not superior at (activity B)" for almost all values
    of activity A and activity B.

    --Harold Buck

    "Hubris always wins in the end. The Greeks taught us that."

    -Homer J. Simpson

  10. On 2005-12-14 14:44:35 -0500, Harold Buck <[email protected]> said:

    >> Mark (MSA) wrote:
    >>> Again, "95% of Triathletes are not proper cyclists". I rest my case.

    Mark Mark Mark... you have become so predictable ;-) But I applaud the
    attempt to add a volatile thread on top my failed attempt at doing so.

    As for why the clinchers are better than tubulars. I think Mr. Brown's
    list of pros and cons (part way down the page at
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html ) is an excellent summary. In
    short, all the advantages of tubulars have been eroded by improvements
    in modern clincher tires, and if you need to change a flat after a
    tubular mid race then, high speed turns aught to make you a little
    nervous. Like the nice man said... "Are you feeling lucky, puck?!"

    However, there are those that derive a certain confidence and prowess
    from by sticking to the older (elite) ways, even if there is little
    actual advantage. And I would say that confidence has some
    value/impact on performance. Like the emperor's new cloths... that guy
    knew he was looking good.

    --
    To email me, remove the greeting from my email address.

    (for athletes) The Digital Athletic Log http://rogercortesi.com/athleticlog/
    (for nerds) The Online Equation Editor http://rogercortesi.com/eqn/

  11. Harold Buck

    Harold Buck Guest

    In article <2005121421375716807%[email protected]>,
    Roger Cortesi <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Mark Mark Mark... you have become so predictable ;-) But I applaud the
    > attempt to add a volatile thread on top my failed attempt at doing so.
    >
    > As for why the clinchers are better than tubulars. I think Mr. Brown's
    > list of pros and cons (part way down the page at
    > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html ) is an excellent summary. In
    > short, all the advantages of tubulars have been eroded by improvements
    > in modern clincher tires, and if you need to change a flat after a
    > tubular mid race then, high speed turns aught to make you a little
    > nervous. Like the nice man said... "Are you feeling lucky, puck?!"

    Clint Eastwood did "A Midsummer Night's Dream"?

  12. On 2005-12-14 22:02:10 -0500, Harold Buck <[email protected]> said:
    >> make you a little nervous. Like the nice man said... "Are you feeling
    >> lucky, puck?!"

    > Clint Eastwood did "A Midsummer Night's Dream"?

    Touche, apparently he did.

    Curse you spell check!!!! Check what I meant, not what I wrote!!!!!!

  13. rsquared

    rsquared Guest

    Harold Buck wrote:
    > In article <2005121421375716807%[email protected]>,
    > Roger Cortesi <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > Mark Mark Mark... you have become so predictable ;-) But I applaud the
    > > attempt to add a volatile thread on top my failed attempt at doing so.
    > >
    > > As for why the clinchers are better than tubulars. I think Mr. Brown's
    > > list of pros and cons (part way down the page at
    > > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html ) is an excellent summary. In
    > > short, all the advantages of tubulars have been eroded by improvements
    > > in modern clincher tires, and if you need to change a flat after a
    > > tubular mid race then, high speed turns aught to make you a little
    > > nervous. Like the nice man said... "Are you feeling lucky, puck?!"

    > Clint Eastwood did "A Midsummer Night's Dream"?
    >
    > --Harold Buck

    What does Shakespeare have to do with ice hockey?

    rsquared

  14. Babz13

    Babz13 Guest

    Thank you everyone for the info. The page on tires really helped me
    out. I appreciate the responses. For now, i think i may just leave the
    Hed3's at home and ride on some good old inner tube wheels. I am not
    quite at the competitive level where these fancy wheels really help me
    out at all. Again, thanks everyone for the input.

  15. Mark \(MSA\)

    Mark \(MSA\) Guest

    > Mark Mark Mark...

    Said the dog with the hair lip!

    > you have become so predictable ;-) But I applaud the
    > attempt to add a volatile thread on top my failed attempt at doing so.

    :) Just glad nobody takes me too seriously!

    --
    Mark