Hed 3 Wheels

Babz13

Guest
I am pretty new to the Tri world. I just got a new bike, with Hed 3
wheels. I have two questions regarding these wheels. 1) With the tires
glued on to the rims, how do you fix/change tires on these wheels? Are
you just screwed if something happens during a race? If you just wanted
to change them due to wear/tear how do you do it? 2) The speed-o-meter
I have currently attaches to the typical normal metal spoke. With these
being non-existent on these new wheels, what are my options as far as
bike computers?

"Babz13" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1134436551.948407.174950
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> I am pretty new to the Tri world. I just got a new bike, with Hed 3
> wheels. I have two questions regarding these wheels. 1) With the tires
> glued on to the rims, how do you fix/change tires on these wheels? Are
> you just screwed if something happens during a race? If you just wanted
> to change them due to wear/tear how do you do it? 2) The speed-o-meter
> I have currently attaches to the typical normal metal spoke. With these
> being non-existent on these new wheels, what are my options as far as
> bike computers?

I'm not exactly an expert here, since I've never had tubulars (the king of
tires/wheels you have, with the tires glued to the rims). My understanding
is that the tire can be pulled away from teh rim with some effort, and that
a replacement tire can be attached and glued in a reasonable amount of time
once you've gotten the hang of it.

As for the magnet question, I think they make one that sticks to the carbon
fiber spoke. No idea where you get one, though. Anyone else know?

Tom

Babz13 wrote:
> I am pretty new to the Tri world. I just got a new bike, with Hed 3
> wheels. I have two questions regarding these wheels. 1) With the tires
> glued on to the rims, how do you fix/change tires on these wheels? Are
> you just screwed if something happens during a race? If you just wanted
> to change them due to wear/tear how do you do it? 2) The speed-o-meter
> I have currently attaches to the typical normal metal spoke. With these
> being non-existent on these new wheels, what are my options as far as
> bike computers?

You are not screwed, just delayed. While we're here...

The tire can require some effort to remove, especially if it is cold.
Consider an old trick; remove the quickrelease skewer, sneak/wiggle it
under the tire, and use it as a pry bar.

Do a little searching in this group. Changing tubulars on-the-road is
a common topic.

There is no need to carry glue; just prep and pre-glue your spare.
However, not everyone carries a spare on race day.

rsquared

> There is no need to carry glue; just prep and pre-glue your spare.
> However, not everyone carries a spare on race day.
>
> rsquared

What??? Who would carry a spare on race day ;-)!!!!

What!!! I never race without my spare wheel, and seat strapped to my back!!!!!

I'm wearing my Nomex (tm)* suit, Lets start that thread again, the
group has been a little slow!!!!

roger

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomex

--
To email me, remove the greeting from my email address.

(for athletes) The Digital Athletic Log http://rogercortesi.com/athleticlog/
(for nerds) The Online Equation Editor http://rogercortesi.com/eqn/

There is a pretty good intro into tyres and wheels on Sheldon Browns
website: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html

the honest answer though is if you are not much of a mechanical person,
don't want the hassle, the additional expense, and tyres are not likely
to make much difference to your times, take the wheels back and ask to
swap them for ones that have tubes/tyres.

Since Roger has his Nomex(tm) suit on, perhaps he could explain why
there is no real benefit to tubs aka tubeless tyres anymore... ps.
Anyone over-40 claiming tubs make you go faster is automatically banned
from this discussion...

Now, as for the magnet, I can atest to the powers of magnets. Don't
worry about putting one one your front wheel. Buy a big bag full and
stuff them in a backpack. When you are passed in a race by a draft
buster/referee on a motorbike, or other motorised vehicle you'll
suddenly go much faster than you imagine... they just better go in the
same direction as the course otherwise you may find the magnetic
attractionl somewhat frustrating.

If you don't fancy the idea of a backpack full of magnets, then Cateye
sell a magnet http://www.trisports.com/cacowhma.html and there is a
brief mention in the Hed FAQ
http://www.hedcycling.com/technical/faq.php

Given the price of Hed wheels, you think the cheapskates would include
a magnet, extra cost 25 cents!

trimark wrote:
<<SNIP>>
> Since Roger has his Nomex(tm) suit on, perhaps he could explain why
> there is no real benefit to tubs aka tubeless tyres anymore... ps.
> Anyone over-40 claiming tubs make you go faster is automatically banned
> from this discussion...

<<SNIP>>

Can I be "grandfathered"? : )

rsquared

Again, "95% of Triathletes are not proper cyclists". I rest my case.

--
Mark
_______________________________________

Mark (MSA) wrote:
> Again, "95% of Triathletes are not proper cyclists". I rest my case.
>
> --
> Mark

I never understood why a triathlete would take offense to such a
statement. The same is true of decathletes and distance running.

A person can be a superior cyclist (swimmer, runner), yet in a broader
sense, be an inferior *athlete*.

Most cyclists are not proper triathletes. True?

rsquared

In article <[email protected]>,
"rsquared" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Mark (MSA) wrote:
> > Again, "95% of Triathletes are not proper cyclists". I rest my case.
> >
> > --
> > Mark

> I never understood why a triathlete would take offense to such a
> statement. The same is true of decathletes and distance running.
>
> A person can be a superior cyclist (swimmer, runner), yet in a broader
> sense, be an inferior *athlete*.
>
> Most cyclists are not proper triathletes. True?

I think you can say reliably that "Most people who are superior (top 5%)
at (activity A) are not superior at (activity B)" for almost all values
of activity A and activity B.

--Harold Buck

"Hubris always wins in the end. The Greeks taught us that."

-Homer J. Simpson

On 2005-12-14 14:44:35 -0500, Harold Buck <[email protected]> said:

>> Mark (MSA) wrote:
>>> Again, "95% of Triathletes are not proper cyclists". I rest my case.

Mark Mark Mark... you have become so predictable ;-) But I applaud the
attempt to add a volatile thread on top my failed attempt at doing so.

As for why the clinchers are better than tubulars. I think Mr. Brown's
list of pros and cons (part way down the page at
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html ) is an excellent summary. In
short, all the advantages of tubulars have been eroded by improvements
in modern clincher tires, and if you need to change a flat after a
tubular mid race then, high speed turns aught to make you a little
nervous. Like the nice man said... "Are you feeling lucky, puck?!"

However, there are those that derive a certain confidence and prowess
from by sticking to the older (elite) ways, even if there is little
actual advantage. And I would say that confidence has some
value/impact on performance. Like the emperor's new cloths... that guy
knew he was looking good.

--

In article <2005121421375716807%roger2@rogerHELLOcortesicom>,
Roger Cortesi <[email protected]> wrote:

> Mark Mark Mark... you have become so predictable ;-) But I applaud the
> attempt to add a volatile thread on top my failed attempt at doing so.
>
> As for why the clinchers are better than tubulars. I think Mr. Brown's
> list of pros and cons (part way down the page at
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html ) is an excellent summary. In
> short, all the advantages of tubulars have been eroded by improvements
> in modern clincher tires, and if you need to change a flat after a
> tubular mid race then, high speed turns aught to make you a little
> nervous. Like the nice man said... "Are you feeling lucky, puck?!"

Clint Eastwood did "A Midsummer Night's Dream"?

On 2005-12-14 22:02:10 -0500, Harold Buck <[email protected]> said:
>> make you a little nervous. Like the nice man said... "Are you feeling
>> lucky, puck?!"

> Clint Eastwood did "A Midsummer Night's Dream"?

Touche, apparently he did.

Curse you spell check!!!! Check what I meant, not what I wrote!!!!!!

Harold Buck wrote:
> In article <2005121421375716807%roger2@rogerHELLOcortesicom>,
> Roger Cortesi <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Mark Mark Mark... you have become so predictable ;-) But I applaud the
> > attempt to add a volatile thread on top my failed attempt at doing so.
> >
> > As for why the clinchers are better than tubulars. I think Mr. Brown's
> > list of pros and cons (part way down the page at
> > http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html ) is an excellent summary. In
> > short, all the advantages of tubulars have been eroded by improvements
> > in modern clincher tires, and if you need to change a flat after a
> > tubular mid race then, high speed turns aught to make you a little
> > nervous. Like the nice man said... "Are you feeling lucky, puck?!"

> Clint Eastwood did "A Midsummer Night's Dream"?
>
> --Harold Buck

What does Shakespeare have to do with ice hockey?

rsquared

Thank you everyone for the info. The page on tires really helped me
out. I appreciate the responses. For now, i think i may just leave the
Hed3's at home and ride on some good old inner tube wheels. I am not
quite at the competitive level where these fancy wheels really help me
out at all. Again, thanks everyone for the input.

> Mark Mark Mark...

Said the dog with the hair lip!

> you have become so predictable ;-) But I applaud the
> attempt to add a volatile thread on top my failed attempt at doing so.

:) Just glad nobody takes me too seriously!

--
Mark