HED ALPS wheels

rejimison

Oct 21, 2003
My local tri-shop guy is very excited about this wheel. It retails for $400 less that the Zipp 440, and that is significant $ for me. Has anyone had any info on this wheel, or the general durability of HED wheels. In years past, their Jets were suspicious. But, I understand the quality is now comparable to others in this price range.
Although I agree with the "ITMS" philosophy(it's the motor, stupid), new racing wheels are a special event...to be considered, pondered and considered again.
Thanks, Jim

I have the hed alps. I rode them in time trials and road races this season just ended. great wheels, but just for race day. my set weighs 1640g, and that is the sum of the two wheels weighed separately on a laboratory scale. a little heavier than published weights, but I've never weighed a wheelset that came in at the published weight; all weighed more.

good value...alot less $ than zipp 404s, or mavic cosmic carbones (carbones weigh a couple hundred grams more.)

Originally posted by rv
I have the hed alps. I rode them in time trials and road races this season just ended. great wheels, but just for race day. my set weighs 1640g, and that is the sum of the two wheels weighed separately on a laboratory scale. a little heavier than published weights, but I've never weighed a wheelset that came in at the published weight; all weighed more.

good value...alot less $ than zipp 404s, or mavic cosmic carbones (carbones weigh a couple hundred grams more.)

When you say, "but just for race day"...are you referring to stability or ?
Thanks, Jim

longevity.

I don't believe riding around everyday on $1000 carbon fiber wheelset is a good decision if you want them to last. plus, they're somewhat stiff and not the most comfortable wheels I have. but they're not for comfort, they're for going fast, which I only really NEED to do about 15 - 20 times a year.

I like to take care of my equipment, whether its my bikes, wheelsets, shoes, or floor pump. I don't have the cash to fork out for a new set of race wheels every year (or every other year) so I like my stuff to last. if I had money, I'd want another USEABLE wheelset, not a replacement for the ones I trashed on daily rides.

I've seen guys on $1000+ wheelsets doing everyday training rides on terrible roads, and I question their intelligence. even if you have plenty of money, why waste it?