HED Disk Casette Wobble

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Justin F. Knotz, Aug 7, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I have a HED Disk that is several years old. It has a Shimano 9 speed body on it and all of the
    casettes I have tried yield a wobble and as a result the chain often skips.

    I am not entirely sure the skipping is due to the wobble or a mismatched chain/casette. But the
    wobbling can't be good. I did some googling and found this:

    http://tinyurl.com/jcrd

    Can anyone shed some light on what I should do concerning this wobble?

    Thanks

    Justin F. Knotzke [email protected] http://www.shampoo.ca

    Tags:

  2. Steven Woo

    Steven Woo Guest

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 22:44:32 GMT, "Justin F. Knotzke" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a HED Disk that is several years old. It has a Shimano 9 speed body on it and all of the
    > casettes I have tried yield a wobble and as a result the chain often skips.
    >
    > I am not entirely sure the skipping is due to the wobble or a mismatched chain/casette. But the
    > wobbling can't be good. I did some googling and found this:
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/jcrd
    >
    > Can anyone shed some light on what I should do concerning this wobble?
    >
    > Thanks

    >--
    >Justin F. Knotzke [email protected] http://www.shampoo.ca
    You can always send it back to Hed so they can look at it...

  3. "Justin F. Knotzke" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a HED Disk that is several years old. It has a Shimano 9 speed body on it and all of the
    > casettes I have tried yield a wobble and as a result the chain often skips.
    >
    > I am not entirely sure the skipping is due to the wobble or a mismatched chain/casette. But the
    > wobbling can't be good. I did some googling and found this:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/jcrd
    >
    > Can anyone shed some light on what I should do concerning this wobble?
    >
    > Thanks

    The same thing happened after my rear wheel was hit by an SUV. It turns out that the impact jammed
    off center the hole into which the cassette body bolt screws. I had to replace the hub body, it was
    hosed. If this is the story with your wheel, you could be out of luck unless HED has a good warrenty
    / replacement policy.

    Hope this helps,

    - Boyd S.

  4. Justin F. Knotzke <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Hi,

    : I have a HED Disk that is several years old. It has a Shimano 9 speed body on it and all of the
    : casettes I have tried yield a wobble and as a result the chain often skips.

    : I am not entirely sure the skipping is due to the wobble or a mismatched chain/casette. But the
    : wobbling can't be good. I did some googling and found this:

    : http://tinyurl.com/jcrd

    : Can anyone shed some light on what I should do concerning this wobble?

    I would be surprised if it were not caused by the freehub body not being seated correctly on the
    hub. This can be caused the washer behind it having a burr or grit - mineral or otherwise - between
    the washer and the hub/body. Other than that, it could be that the bearing in the freehub body is on
    the way out. A simple replacement won't be too expensive.

    Hope this helps, cheerz, Lynzz

  5. <quote who= Lindsay Rowlands [email protected]/>:

    > I would be surprised if it were not caused by the freehub body not being seated correctly on the
    > hub. This can be caused the washer behind it having a burr or grit - mineral or otherwise -
    > between the washer and the hub/body. Other than that, it could be that the bearing in the freehub
    > body is on the way out. A simple replacement won't be too expensive.

    Alright, thanks to all who replied. I'll take it apart and see what I can't find.

    J.

    --
    Justin F. Knotzke [email protected] http://www.shampoo.ca