HED Jet 50 wheels as everyday wheel

Thom_y

Aug 16, 2006
I am interested in finding a relatively durable (I know bulletproof is asking too much), lightweight, aero carbon wheel to use as an everyday wheel with a Powertap SL 2.4. Right now, my bike is nice and light (15.1 lbs) and I don't want to start putting on heavy training type wheels.

I have been advised against considering Zipp 303 clinchers by two LBS, given that some of our typical training loops can be a bit broken up and rough in sections. I looked at Bontrager Aeolus, but they are real expensive and I don't know much about durability. Currently, I am riding Ksyrium ES as my everyday wheel for solo and group rides, which I like and so far, it is staying reasonably true after 1000 km. I weigh around 150 lbs. Unfortunately, as I can't put a PT hub on the Ksyrium, I am looking for a lightweight alternative, preferably with an aero rim.

Compared to Zipp, the HED Jet wheels are hyped as a relatively durable wheel, that may be up to everyday use. (THe HED website says that the Jet could be considered as durable as a traditional 32 spoke wheelset ???)The Canadian distributor said he tried to trash a pair but was unsuccessful. I would be considering the Hed Jet 50, 700 C wheel and was wondering whether anyone could comment on their experience with this wheel. Is anyone using it for everyday training/racing ? Any problems ?

I've got the Hed Alps, which i beleive to be very similar to the Jet 50's, using the PT hub. It is a good wheel. I don't use them everyday, but wouldn't hesitate to use them every day. Only thing i can see with using them everyday is if they need to be trued, you need to remove tire,tube and rim tape to get at the nipples. That being said, i've used them for over a year of racing and some training and not had to true them up.