Hed Jet 50s

twntbo

Mar 22, 2006
I am looking for a set of aero wheels that is strong enough for daily use. Do any of you have experience with the Hed Jet 50s. I currently own a set of Zipp 404s (great wheels), but I am not willing to run them as my everyday set.

Originally, I was leaning toward the Hed Alps because I heard that they were a bit more durable than the Zipps. So I emailed Hed regarding their everyday use. Here was the response ...

"They (the Hed Alps) are not as durable as Jet wheels, which are about equivalent to well built 32 hole traditional wheels. You could ride them maybe half time. How long they would go for full time use depends on your annual mileage and how hard you are on wheels. I have been recommending jets for everyday use, they are only 20g per wheel heavier than Alps, stronger, stiffer, and generally a little truer when they are built."

Any thoughts???

I've got the alps clinchers and i think they are great. I doubt that you would notice the difference between the two weight wise so if the Jets are just a little bit heavier, but just as fast then go with them, they are also cheaper than the alps, not sure why, maybe the hubs or something. I just ordered another Alps rear wheel with a powertap SL built into it so i don't have to compromise on my choice of race wheels and i still get all the power data.

gregkeller said:
I've got the alps clinchers and i think they are great. I doubt that you would notice the difference between the two weight wise so if the Jets are just a little bit heavier, but just as fast then go with them, they are also cheaper than the alps, not sure why, maybe the hubs or something. I just ordered another Alps rear wheel with a powertap SL built into it so i don't have to compromise on my choice of race wheels and i still get all the power data.
Thanks for your reply. I am still actually considering the Alps. What are your thoughts on durability?

... and I'm not sure why they are cheaper. Maybe because the rim depth is slightly lower profile (50mm vs 55mm with the Alps). Carbon is not cheap.

They do come with the same hubs.

My alps are 50 mm, not 55. I am not sure why they are different prices. As for durability i havn't had any issues with the alps, but i had them built up with extra spokes as i was 200 lbs when i got them. They told me that with extra spokes i could ride them everyday. I'm down around 180 now so i'm not worried, and they are race only wheels.