Hed Stingers

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Stewart Fleming, Sep 23, 2003.

  1. Do Hed still make the Stinger carbon race wheel? I can find no mention of it as a current product on
    their Web site. I'm curious to know why. (I suspect that it is because of quality control problems
    with the wheel.)

    Does anyone use this wheel for racing, or had a problem with the rim composition?

    I have a front wheel (60mm carbon rim built onto low-profile Sonic hub) and it has given me nothing
    but trouble. In March it eventually got sent back to the NZ dealer who tried what they could and
    have sent it back "as good as they can get it". That turns out to be "not round" and "not true". The
    rim profile is definitely not consistent in form.

    Anyone else experienced such problems and have any advice? The wheel is still under Hed's 2-year
    warranty, so I'm hoping that I can get a rebuild or replacement.

    Thanks for any help, STF

    Tags:

  2. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    Hed Stingers?!?

    I thought we'd beaten that damned "Helmet Thread" to death already!

    Bill "melon bonkers" S.

  3. K. J. Papai

    K. J. Papai Guest

    Stewart Fleming <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Do Hed still make the Stinger carbon race wheel? I can find no mention of it as a current product
    > on their Web site. I'm curious to know why. (I suspect that it is because of quality control
    > problems with the wheel.)
    >
    > Does anyone use this wheel for racing, or had a problem with the rim composition?

    I get several "Hed stingers" per year -- bees are attracted to my yellow & black helmet and I
    usually get stung. Damn those bees.

    > I have a front wheel (60mm carbon rim built onto low-profile Sonic hub) and it has given me
    > nothing but trouble. In March it eventually got sent back to the NZ dealer who tried what they
    > could and have sent it back "as good as they can get it". That turns out to be "not round" and
    > "not true". The rim profile is definitely not consistent in form.

    Good luck Stewart!

    -Ken

  4. M Chambers

    M Chambers Guest

    They call them Alps now. If they're still under warranty and it's a defect, Steve will take
    care of you.

  5. K. J. Papai wrote:

    > I get several "Hed stingers" per year -- bees are attracted to my yellow & black helmet and I
    > usually get stung. Damn those bees.

    It's bad for you, but terminal for the bee...

    One of the local mountain bike rides crosses 3 bee-lines on the way up to the summit. It's bad both
    ways since going up one or two always get stuck in the helmet vents and going down you can almost
    guarantee to get serious ricochets at high speed.

    But, alas, those are not the "stingers" about which I seek advice.

  6. "M Chambers" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > They call them Alps now. If they're still under warranty and it's a defect, Steve will take
    > care of you.

    How many years after the warranty expires should Hed be expected to replace them?

  7. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    > "M Chambers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > They call them Alps now. If they're still under warranty and it's a defect, Steve will take care
    > > of you.
    > >

    > How many years after the warranty expires should Hed be expected to
    replace them?

    I recently learned that your tax deductions reveal the "true natural" warranty. Look at your durable
    goods amortization period and that is your "true natural" warranty. Stoves and other appliances are
    7 years, etc.

  8. M Chambers

    M Chambers Guest

    None.

    He said they were still under the two year warranty.

    > "M Chambers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > They call them Alps now. If they're still under warranty and it's a defect, Steve will take care
    > > of you.
    > >

    > How many years after the warranty expires should Hed be expected to
    replace them?

  9. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Nick Burns wrote:

    > "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>"M Chambers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>>They call them Alps now. If they're still under warranty and it's a defect, Steve will take care
    >>>of you.
    >>>

    >>How many years after the warranty expires should Hed be expected to
    >
    > replace them?
    >

    > I recently learned that your tax deductions reveal the "true natural" warranty. Look at your
    > durable goods amortization period and that is your "true natural" warranty. Stoves and other
    > appliances are 7 years, etc.

    But we are still depreciating things we threw out years ago. . .

  10. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Nick Burns wrote:
    >
    > > "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >>"M Chambers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > >>How many years after the warranty expires should Hed be expected to
    > >
    > > replace them?
    > >

    > > I recently learned that your tax deductions reveal the "true natural" warranty. Look at your
    > > durable goods amortization period and that is
    your
    > > "true natural" warranty. Stoves and other appliances are 7 years, etc.
    >
    > But we are still depreciating things we threw out years ago. . .
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

    Don't tell Justin. Then he will really think you are a rube for not suing the manufacturers.

  11. "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    7 years, etc.

    > > But we are still depreciating things we threw out years ago. . .
    > >
    > > --
    > Don't tell Justin. Then he will really think you are a rube for not suing the manufacturers.

    Unlike the Bianchi threads, this thread was crossposted to rbt, so I'm not sure Andrew knows who
    Justin is.

  12. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > 7 years, etc.
    > > >
    > > > But we are still depreciating things we threw out years ago. . .
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > Don't tell Justin. Then he will really think you are a rube for not
    suing
    > > the manufacturers.
    > >

    > Unlike the Bianchi threads, this thread was crossposted to rbt, so I'm not
    sure Andrew
    > knows who Justin is.

    He was in there too, but it was not crossposted so I suppose you are right. I don't really know if
    he made an ass out of himself there, so good point. Sorry Andrew.

  13. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >>Unlike the Bianchi threads, this thread was crossposted to rbt, so I'm not
    >
    > sure Andrew
    >
    >>knows who Justin is.

    Will someone explain?

  14. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >>
    > >>Unlike the Bianchi threads, this thread was crossposted to rbt, so I'm
    not

    > > sure Andrew
    > >
    > >>knows who Justin is.
    > >>

    > Will someone explain?
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

    Carl provided the URL. Essentially this bum has been trying to trash as a company because of his
    personal problems. He had a Bianchi frame break after a year and a half and then found out about the
    1 year warranty. He then thought he made some clever arguments about how a "natural warranty" should
    be compulsory that lasts as long as a customer would normally expect the object to be in service. He
    also tried to point to liability damage awards where dangerous devices caused injury "past the
    warranty expiration". In that case, possibly he expected the object to be protected by warranty for
    as long as an owner...uses it? Those were his 2 key points. He is a knuckle head.

    I made the joke about the tax guidelines because a lot of businesses use those guidelines to
    determine how long to put appliances and equipment in to service. I am not sure if anyone got the
    joke anyway though, so sorry again for any confusion.

  15. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Nick Burns wrote:
    > "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote
    >>
    >> Will someone explain?
    >
    > [Justin Lewis] had a Bianchi frame break after a year and a half and then found out about the 1
    > year warranty.

    Oddly enough, he actually posted a message to rbt on Boron steel frames, and Muzi responded to it.

  16. Chris B .

    Chris B . Guest

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 21:23:26 -0700, "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> > "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> > news:[email protected]...

    >not
    >> >
    >> > sure Andrew

    >> Will someone explain?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971
    >>

    >Carl provided the URL. Essentially this bum has been trying to trash as a company because of his
    >personal problems. He had a Bianchi frame break after a year and a half and then found out about
    >the 1 year warranty.

    Hey, not everyone reads and understands all the fine print since it contains increasingly absurd
    amounts of legal jargon. That's something only a lawyer should be expected to do.

    --
    Chris Bird

  17. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Carl Sundquist wrote:
    > http://tinyurl.com/opxk
    >
    > Just read the threads from this month.

    Thank you. I followed the link offered to a Google search for his posts. Quite amusing. I really
    missed this group in the week or so I was unable to read it. A short walk through RBR made me
    appreciate you all the more.

  18. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    Chris B. wrote:
    > On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 21:23:26 -0700, "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >> Carl provided the URL. Essentially this bum has been trying to trash as a company because of his
    >> personal problems. He had a Bianchi frame break after a year and a half and then found out about
    >> the 1 year warranty.
    >
    > Hey, not everyone reads and understands all the fine print since it contains increasingly absurd
    > amounts of legal jargon. That's something only a lawyer should be expected to do.

    The irony is that this choad (Justin) claims to be a lawye...uhh...law teacher.