HEEEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPPP!! Valve ?

Jay

Guest
I just got my new (first) recumbent It has some funky butt valve stem on it. All the bikes I have
ever had have the same type as your car tire. Just hook it up pump and go. This thing has a screw
cap and a insert that goes in with a rubber piece that goed into the tube?..? DoI need to go buy a
new pump or should I just remove this tube and buy a "normal" tube?

TIA!!!

"Jay" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
news:[email protected]...
> I just got my new (first) recumbent It has some funky butt valve stem on it. All the bikes I have
> ever had have the same type as your car tire. Just hook it up pump and go. This thing has a screw
> cap and a insert that goes in with a rubber piece that goed into the tube?..? DoI need to go buy a
> new pump or should I just remove this tube and buy a "normal" tube?

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/flats.html#valves

Those and Presta valves are the norm here in Europe. Just buy a Schrader equipped tube if you're
unhappy with it. Or a cheap pump to use untill it wears out.

M.

"Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> "Jay" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
> news:[email protected]...
>> I just got my new (first) recumbent It has some funky butt valve stem on it. All the bikes I have
>> ever had have the same type as your car tire. Just hook it up pump and go. This thing has a screw
>> cap and a insert that goes in with a rubber piece that goed into the tube?..? DoI need to go buy
>> a new pump or should I just remove this tube and buy a "normal" tube?
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/flats.html#valves
>
> Those and Presta valves are the norm here in Europe. Just buy a Schrader equipped tube if you're
> unhappy with it. Or a cheap pump to use untill it wears out.
>
> M.

Thank You! I had just found this site before I came back and checked. I had been looking all night,
guess I finally founf the right set of search words.

> I just got my new (first) recumbent It has some funky butt valve stem on it. All the bikes I have
> ever had have the same type as your car tire. Just hook it up pump and go. This thing has a screw
> cap and a insert that goes in with a rubber piece that goed into the tube?..? DoI need to go buy a
> new pump or should I just remove this tube and buy a "normal" tube?
>
> TIA!!!

Jay, you now have a 'real' bike. All 'realbikes come with Presta tubes the skinnier the rim the more
likely that you will need a Presta valve since the valve stem is smaller than a Schrader valve (Like
cars). You can not put a shrader tube into a rim hole that is drilled for a Presta stem.

I am sure eventually you will want to get a 'real' bicycle pump. You can however purchase a little
brass screw on adapter that will fit onto the Presta valve stem. They cost about $1. You will also
find the local gas station (the one that charges for free air) will not be able to supply you with
enough pressure to inflate your 'real' bicycle tires with presta tubes.

Check here if you want to learn about the differences between Presta, Schrader and Woods/Dunlop
valves. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html

- Bellaire, TX USA -

Jay, You can buy a schrader (what your used to)adapter to Presta valve at most any bike shop. Most
of us have been using presta for years. The big advantage to using Presta is skinnier tubes are
available. If your using a 1
1/4 inch tire or bigger you can get schrader. Below that width it's nearly all presta to my
knowledge. If you go to schrader, you'll most likely have to enlarge the valve stem hole to
accomodate the larger valves. Denny in Sayre, Pa "Bent but not Broken"
www.recumbentstuff.com "Jay"

Jay <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Thank You! I had just found this site before I came back and checked. I had been looking all
> night, guess I finally founf the right set of search words.

Jay, Mikeal's exactly right- but you should have asked your bike shop about them before you left.

If there's anything more you need to know, I recommend Sheldon Brown's website:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com . There's a wealth of information from the ordinary to the exotic.
Regarding valves, there's this: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#tubes

Jeff

jay, did this happen to be a NMB recumbent? i bought one of those from columbia and it had
something other than a schrader valve. it was something i had never seen before, so i just ended up
buying new tubes. jb

news:<[email protected]>...

[email protected] (j browe) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> jay, did this happen to be a NMB recumbent? i bought one of those from columbia and it had
> something other than a schrader valve. it was something i had never seen before, so i just ended
> up buying new tubes. jb

Snip

Yes, it is a NMB recumbent. I've spent almost as much fixing it as I did buying it !^) I thought I
would start out cheaper to make sure it was going to be a style bike I would like. I had to buy
liners, the spoke screws poped the first tube, so now I am back to schrader, ust because of the
convenience around these parts. Had to replace the dandle grips, caliper cables, pretty much need to
repaint the entire bike it was scratched up so bad, pedal mounts was banged up so bad I couldn't get
the pedal threaded on, derailer bent and the chain was rubbing on the tire, need I go on.

Oh yeah I can't figure the brakes out!!. Thay are mounted below and the compression comes at the
top, I am used to the top mounted style and can't quite get these adjusted....

Oh well guess 200 for a recumbent frame wasn't that bad, I am going to take it to the local bike
shop tomorrow to have them adjust and show me how to maintain the brakes.

Thanks for all your help and I can't wait to get bent,

On Sat, 10 May 2003 18:46:36 GMT, Jay <[email protected]> wrote:

>I had been looking all night, guess I finally founf the right set of search words.

Hehe! The right set of search words for anything related to bikes is "Sheldon" and "Brown" :)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

jay your brakes dont work because they are plastic and bend when pressure is applied to them, i just
replaced them. i also put a 20 inch rear wheel on mine so it doesnt sit so high, i also put more
padding on the seat as it was way toooo hard. the other thing to watch is the screws that hold up
the chainwheel rollers will come loose and lock up the chain, get some locktight for those or
replace them. the bike is starting to take shape now that i have put some replacement parts on it.

Jay <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (j browe) wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > jay, did this happen to be a NMB recumbent? i bought one of those from columbia and it had
> > something other than a schrader valve. it was something i had never seen before, so i just ended
> > up buying new tubes. jb
> >

> Snip
> >

> Yes, it is a NMB recumbent. I've spent almost as much fixing it as I did buying it !^) I
> thought I would start out cheaper to make sure it was going to be a style bike I would like. I
> had to buy liners, the spoke screws poped the first tube, so now I am back to schrader, ust
> because of the convenience around these parts. Had to replace the dandle grips, caliper cables,
> pretty much need to repaint the entire bike it was scratched up so bad, pedal mounts was banged
> up so bad I couldn't get the pedal threaded on, derailer bent and the chain was rubbing on the
> tire, need I go on.
>
> Oh yeah I can't figure the brakes out!!. Thay are mounted below and the compression comes at the
> top, I am used to the top mounted style and can't quite get these adjusted....
>
> Oh well guess 200 for a recumbent frame wasn't that bad, I am going to take it to the local bike
> shop tomorrow to have them adjust and show me how to maintain the brakes.
>
> Thanks for all your help and I can't wait to get bent,

Jay:

I bought an "upgrade kit" for some sort of pump (I don't remember which kind). It was basically just
the tube and a head that switches between schraeder and presta automatically. I then just replaced
the tube and head that came with my Zefel pump, and it works great. But most pumps come with a
non-automatic whatchamajigger that allows you to use the head for either schraeder or presta.
(Sometimes you can just unscrew the cap and reverse the little rubber piece.) And there are also
some converters that screw directly onto the valve that you can get in most bike stores. Lots of
different ways you can go.

--
--Scott [email protected] Cut the "tail" to send email.