heels down

frenk

Jun 28, 2003
Watching some videos of me climbing this summer I noticed that I drop my heels quite a bit below level at the bottom of the stroke.
This occurs in particular during high-intensity efforts, like uphill races.

It looks like I pulls the pedal down with the heel more than pushing down on the pedal axis.

Does this mean that there is something wrong with my setup?
Saddle too low/too forward, cleats too forward or something else?

Or it's because I have a weakness in some area?

Any input appreciated.
TIA

Francesco

frenk said:
Watching some videos of me climbing this summer I noticed that I drop my heels quite a bit below level at the bottom of the stroke.
This occurs in particular during high-intensity efforts, like uphill races.

It looks like I pulls the pedal down with the heel more than pushing down on the pedal axis.

Does this mean that there is something wrong with my setup?
Saddle too low/too forward, cleats too forward or something else?

Or it's because I have a weakness in some area?

Any input appreciated.
TIA

Francesco
What you're describing sounds pretty natural to me in that i think most people do this under high loads up hills when seated (i know i do). Pulling back through the bottom of the stroke is actually a good thing.

However a too forward cleat position can also lead to what you're describing but this would happen under all riding conditions, not just hills. If it's not causing you any discomfort/power loss, then i wouldn't worry as it's probably just your style. I haven't seen your set-up so can't tell if its right or wrong.

I use different body positions while climbing out of the saddle. Sometimes I push my body back and let my heel drop somewhat to get a bit of stretch in my hamstrings and calves. Other times my body is further forward over the bars and my toes feel like their pointing downward. Riding in that position doesn't produce quite as much leg extension and makes my quads burn a bit after a while.

Can't say whether it's right or wrong, it just gives my body a bit of relief by using different positions.

20 or more years ago, I was taught to drop my heels when climbing at the point where I transition from climbing out of the saddle to climbing in the saddle. I was given some explanation about extending the effective length of my leg, and brings into play my lower leg muscles, blah, blah, blah.... Anyway, to this day I drop my heels around this transition point. It helps me accelerate up to a a more optimal cadence. Once I'm up to my desired cadence I bring my heels back up.

It's a way of increasing the length of your power stroke, which equates to using a lower gear. Personally, I use a lower gear. Are you using this technique when riding your fixed?

Don Shipp said:
It's a way of increasing the length of your power stroke, which equates to using a lower gear. Personally, I use a lower gear. Are you using this technique when riding your fixed?
I agree on going to a lower gear, but this technique has to be put in context and it's not a fixed. Let's say I'm riding up a long climb with 21 & 19 as my low gears. When I shift down to 19 I'm intially @ 80 rpms, and as I tire, I slowly drop to 70rpms. At this point I down shift on to the 21, and again I'm back up to 80 rpms. When I tire and drop to 70 rpms I can't down shift, so I up shift back to 19 and get out of the saddle. My cadance drops to about 55 rpms at this point. I ride this out until my quads are on fire. I then get back in the saddle, drop my heels and bring the cadence back up to the original 80 rpms in 19 again. The cycle is complete and it continues like that for the entire climb.

John Budnik said:
I agree on going to a lower gear, but this technique has to be put in context and it's not a fixed. Let's say I'm riding up a long climb with 21 & 19 as my low gears. When I shift down to 19 I'm intially @ 80 rpms, and as I tire, I slowly drop to 70rpms. At this point I down shift on to the 21, and again I'm back up to 80 rpms. When I tire and drop to 70 rpms I can't down shift, so I up shift back to 19 and get out of the saddle. My cadance drops to about 55 rpms at this point. I ride this out until my quads are on fire. I then get back in the saddle, drop my heels and bring the cadence back up to the original 80 rpms in 19 again. The cycle is complete and it continues like that for the entire climb.
Frenk has a fixed and might need this trick when climbing hills because he doesn't have the option of changing down. I have never ridden a fixed so I can't say too much else about it.

Don Shipp said:
Frenk has a fixed and might need this trick when climbing hills because he doesn't have the option of changing down. I have never ridden a fixed so I can't say too much else about it.

Well in fact I see this happening with the geared bike.
With the fixed I don't notice it probably because I don't climb too much and when I do it I don't push so hard.
Maybe the position on the fixed is slightly different too.