Height question

jkxw

Jul 27, 2004
What role does height play in racing? I know weight is a big factor, but does a taller man have an advantage over somone say 5'6" like me?

jkxw said:
What role does height play in racing? I know weight is a big factor, but does a taller man have an advantage over somone say 5'6" like me?
Height in combination with your weight *can* be a factor (IOW, tall and skinny...very subjective term... cyclists will lack high end power and the ability to ride the flats well), but it is not exclusively a factor, to an extent. I can't think of any top level cyclists that are taller than 6'3" or 6'4" .. eventually it just becomes too difficult to get all that mass up a hill, even if it's all muscle. On the flip side, I don't think anybody sees Paolo Bettini as any less of a threat because he is on the short side.

jkxw said:

taller people are (generally) at a disadvantage because they are more 'unaerodynamic'. In general the taller you are, the longer your legs. The longer your legs, the higher your seat and the greater your drag. i don't however, suggest that anyone takes a hacksaw to their legs or rides a bike several sizes too small...!

ric

How about the flip side? is being short a disadvantage? i supose it would be nice for climbs. btw, im posting this curently @ 5ft5''.