Heights of handlebar vs. saddle

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Cusp, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Cusp

Cusp New Member

Quick question ...

Just curious what the height difference *should* be between handlebars and saddle. I've read that it almost can be the same for novice/non-flexible riders ... and only 5-12 cm for advanced riders. Is this true?

Just briefly looking at my bike ... and my handle bars are a solid 3 inches (maybe even more) than my saddle.

Only reason I bring this up ... I ride great/comfortable on the flight decks ... but feel semi-awkward when on the drops. For this reason I rarely ride on the drops.

Tags:

2. Wurm

Wurm New Member

A lot of roadies don't use the drops much. It depends on where you're at with flexibility and comfort, handling, power delivery, aerodynamics.

There are different ways to set up your position. You could have the top of the bar a little higher relative to top of saddle for when climbing, and have a deeper-drop bar for when descending or riding flats. Or have a lower stem position with a shallower-drop bar. Or the reverse combination, or whatever. As you ride more and become more acclimated, you may want to change the top of stem position or change to a bar with deeper or shallower drops.

Right now, the top of my stem is about 7cm below the top of my saddle, and I use the drops about 1/3 to 1/2 of the time, depending on the terrain or the situation at any given moment. My current bar's drop spec is 142mm.

I have a Bicycling magazine that says:

That's just a general guide. I'd say start with getting the correct saddle height first according to leg length, and only after that's right, then adjust the stem height to the lowest that's most comfortable or practical for you. The flatter you get your torso, the better your aero will be.

3. IEatRice4Dinner

IEatRice4Dinner New Member

dont forget about tt and stem length

4. Wurm

Wurm New Member

That too!

5. capwater

capwater New Member

Squeeze me? Ever do any crit racing? Nonetheless, the difference between saddle height and stem height will vary between individuals.

6. chamelion

chamelion New Member

Excuse my butting in (and ignorance) But my racer's seat is quite high compared to the stem top. I jacked it up to get the proper leg reach, the seat post is 28cm long and I have 15cm still in the frame. My question is, how far up can you safely take the handlebar stem up, does it have a warning line like the seat post? The stem top is presently 11 cm below the seat top.

7. Wurm

Wurm New Member

I don't think the OP was worrying about crits, thus my response, and I dare say that most club riders/weekend warriors are not in the drops the majority of the time.

Yes, sort of like the difference between shoe sizes will vary between individuals. Why don't you try to help the guy out with something he doesn't know? :rolleyes: