Hein's other suggested changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robert Chung

Here's a pointer to an article that appeared in Le Monde a couple of days ago, in which Verbruggen
discusses his view of the future of pro cycling:
http://www.lemonde.fr/article/0,5987,3242--312928-,00.html

My rough translation follows. As always, if something sounds weird or stilted, it's 'cuz of my
translation (i.e., don't go quoting this as the definitive translation):

"Cycling authorities consider the creation of a professional league

"[The dramatic events about Kivilev] these last few days eclipsed an announcement made by the
president of the UCI, Hein Verbruggen. He foresees a major evolution of professional cycling: the
creation, in the next 5 to 10 years, of a professional league on the American model.

"More sponsorship

"'We are thinking of creating a Premier competition league," he explained, "a closed league with a
specific number of teams guaranteed for a certain number of races and composed of the best riders."
The objective: to create more opportunities for sponsors and sponsorships to a sport which currently
attracts about 350 million euros per year.

"'Right now, we ask team sponsors to make investments but we can't guarantee them participation in
the top races,' he said. Only the UCI Top Ten clubs are assured participation from the beginning of
the season in the Grand Tours (the TdF, the Giro, and the Vuelta) and the World Cup races. Other
teams depend on the race organizers for their invitations. It was because of a situation like this
for the 2002 TdF that the Big Mat team, which will end its sponsorship at the end of this year, had
threatened to do so at the end of 2002.

"A 'closed' league would guarantee the sponsors a return on their investment. On the sporting level,
on the other hand, it would remove pressure on small teams-- many of whom are on shaky economic
grounds-- who already have great difficulty in taking part in the major races.

"'Our sport is hard to read at the moment,' said Jean-Marie Leblanc, the head of the TdF and
Paris-Nice races, "it's not normal for a small team to participate in a Grand Tour while a champion
rider leaves a big team for a small one for the money. What's needed is more professionalism, with
the best riders on the highest level races.

"'However, we can't have a completely static and closed league,' said Leblanc. "There must be the
possibility of promotions and relegations-- based on performance; one shouldn't be able to buy a
place in a race."

Robert Chung wrote:
> As always, if something sounds weird or stilted, it's 'cuz of my translation

This is a bizarre statement when introducing some HEIN samples.

"Bart" <[email protected]> wrote
> Robert Chung wrote:
> > As always, if something sounds weird or stilted, it's 'cuz of my translation
>
> This is a bizarre statement when introducing some HEIN samples.

Point taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.