Heinz 57 Steak Sauce

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Dan Warren, Apr 14, 2006.

  1. Dan Warren

    Dan Warren Guest

    I've been in 2 supermarkets in the Rochester NY area and neither carried
    this. Does anyone know if Heinz is still making it?

    Tags:

  2. On Fri 14 Apr 2006 03:01:46p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dan Warren?

    > I've been in 2 supermarkets in the Rochester NY area and neither carried
    > this. Does anyone know if Heinz is still making it?

    AFAIK, yes. I bought it a couple of months ago here in AZ.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

  3. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Dan Warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I've been in 2 supermarkets in the Rochester NY area and neither carried
    > this. Does anyone know if Heinz is still making it?

    Yes, they still make it. Which two supermarkets were you at?

  4. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Dan Warren wrote:

    > I've been in 2 supermarkets in the Rochester NY area and neither carried
    > this. Does anyone know if Heinz is still making it?

    Do you not have A1 there? It is much better?

  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    Dan Warren <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I've been in 2 supermarkets in the Rochester NY area and neither carried
    > this. Does anyone know if Heinz is still making it?

    Could be you. . . . . . .

    { Exported from MasterCook Mac }

    Apple Catsup

    Recipe By: Posted to rec.food.cooking by Barb Schaller 4-14-2006
    Serving Size: 1
    Preparation Time: 0:00

    1 cup sugar
    1 teaspoon peppercorns
    1 teaspoon whole cloves
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    2 teaspoons cinnamon
    1 tablespoon salt
    2 onions, finely chopped
    12 sour apples
    2 cups cider vinegar

    Mix the sugar, peppers, cloves, mustard, cinnamon, ad salt. Then add
    the onions.

    Wash, core, and cut apples in quarters. Put into saucepan, cover with
    boiling water, bring to boiling point and let simmer until soft. The
    water should be nearly gone; then rub through puree sieve and for each
    quart of pulp add the mixture of sugar, onions, and spices. After the
    two mixtures are blended, add vinegar, bring to boiling point and let
    simmer 1 hour.

    Pour into prepared half-pint jars, seal and process in a boiling water
    bath for 10 minutes.
    ‹‹‹‹‹
    Notes: Recipe from a 1947 Kerr canning book. IF this is the apple
    ketchup I once made many years ago, it tastes a lot like Heinz 57 Sauce.
    I've added waterbath times; Kerr's recipe was an open-kettle method, now
    outdated. 10/28/04.
    _____

    --
    -Barb
    <http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-11-06, Church review #12

  6. tom

    tom Guest

  7. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 22:01:46 GMT, Dan Warren wrote:

    > I've been in 2 supermarkets in the Rochester NY area and neither carried
    > this. Does anyone know if Heinz is still making it?

    Heinz will always make Heinz 57.

    As much as a Heinz fan that I am (lived in Pittsburgh PA for half
    a lifetime), one of the few things I'll buy at Walmart is their
    "Great Value" H57 Clone. Taste just the same and less then half
    the price.

    I think Safeway and Kroger also have a store brand clone.

    -sw

  8. Stan  Horwitz

    Stan Horwitz Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

    > On Fri 14 Apr 2006 03:01:46p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dan Warren?
    >
    > > I've been in 2 supermarkets in the Rochester NY area and neither carried
    > > this. Does anyone know if Heinz is still making it?
    > >

    > AFAIK, yes. I bought it a couple of months ago here in AZ.

    Its still listed on Heinz's web site at
    http://www.heinz.com/World.aspx#57sauce

  9. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Dave Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Dan Warren wrote:
    >
    >> I've been in 2 supermarkets in the Rochester NY area and neither carried
    >> this. Does anyone know if Heinz is still making it?

    > Do you not have A1 there? It is much better?

    All your base are belong to us.

  10. Pennyaline

    Pennyaline Guest

    Doug Kanter wrote:
    > "Dan Warren" <dwarren[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> I've been in 2 supermarkets in the Rochester NY area and neither carried
    >> this. Does anyone know if Heinz is still making it?

    > Yes, they still make it. Which two supermarkets were you at?

    I can't imagine that Weggies and Tops would stop carrying it, but it
    could be possible. If there are any Big M stores still in existence, try
    those. Don't forget to browse convenience stores.

  11. Dan Warren <[email protected]> hitched up their panties
    and posted news:[email protected]:

    > I've been in 2 supermarkets in the Rochester NY area and neither carried
    > this. Does anyone know if Heinz is still making it?

    It's still on the shelves here in St. Louis. It is still on their website
    as a product. http://www.heinz.com/World.aspx#57sauce You might ask the
    stores you shop in to try and order it.

    Michael

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been

    --Calvin Trillin

  12. Dan Warren

    Dan Warren Guest

    "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote in news:IaV%f.7116$tT.3957
    @news01.roc.ny:

    > Yes, they still make it. Which two supermarkets were you at?

    If your from the area, Wegmans in Webster where they told me they no longer
    stock it and Tops in Ontario. Will check other markets as I can.

  13. Dan Warren

    Dan Warren Guest

    Steve Wertz <swert[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    As much as a Heinz fan that I am (lived in Pittsburgh PA for half
    > a lifetime), one of the few things I'll buy at Walmart is their
    > "Great Value" H57 Clone. Taste just the same and less then half
    > the price.

    I don't like shopping at Wally World, unless there are no alternatives.
    But I'll look next time I'm near one

    > I think Safeway and Kroger also have a store brand clone.

    Pretty much, up here, the choice is Wegmans or Tops with a few scattered
    other markets.

  14. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Dan Warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote in news:IaV%f.7116$tT.3957
    > @news01.roc.ny:
    >

    >> Yes, they still make it. Which two supermarkets were you at?

    > If your from the area, Wegmans in Webster where they told me they no
    > longer
    > stock it and Tops in Ontario. Will check other markets as I can.

    The company still buys it, but individual stores choose whether to stock it
    or not. This is called merchandising, which is another term for confusing
    and pissing off customers. Another example is putting huge displays in high
    traffic parts of the store, especially around holidays when they're the
    busiest. Sometimes these modular displays contain products which are popular
    with enormously large people, so other shoppers are brought to a complete
    standstill.

    But, I digress. Ask the manager about the product. Or, try the Pittsford
    store, if you don't mind getting all dressed up and renting a Mercedes.

  15. Dan Warren

    Dan Warren Guest

    "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > But, I digress. Ask the manager about the product. Or, try the
    > Pittsford store, if you don't mind getting all dressed up and renting
    > a Mercedes.

    ROFLMAO!!!!!

    Tomorrow is our anniversary and we are going to brunch at Mario's. Was
    planning on checking the Pittsford Weg's. No Merceds, but will most prob
    take the wife's new RAV4.

    That's high class for us bumkins from Wayne County....LOL

  16. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Helen Harrand wrote:

    > A friend of mine went looking for it the other day and was told it had been
    > pulled off of the shelves because of some sort of problem w/the batch or so.
    >
    > Don't quote me, it's just hearsay passed on..........

    I know you aren't supposed to believe everything you read in the internet, but
    you can be quoted. It seems that there was a voluntary recall by Heinz for
    quality reasons, not a health concern. It happened about a month ago.

    http://www.shoprite.com/ProductRecall.aspx

  17. A friend of mine went looking for it the other day and was told it had been
    pulled off of the shelves because of some sort of problem w/the batch or so.

    Don't quote me, it's just hearsay passed on..........

    helen
    btw - we're in Alabama

    "Dan Warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I've been in 2 supermarkets in the Rochester NY area and neither carried
    > this. Does anyone know if Heinz is still making it?

  18. Dan Warren

    Dan Warren Guest

  19. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Dan Warren wrote:

    > Found this thread in an online forum
    >
    > http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12260
    >
    > I'll have to stop at Wallyworld and give their version a try.

    I make a point of NOT shopping in Walmart, even if it is the only place
    where something can be found. It's not what I want the future to be
    like. Besides, HP sauce is much better.

  20. On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 22:01:46 GMT, Dan Warren
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I've been in 2 supermarkets in the Rochester NY area and neither carried
    >this. Does anyone know if Heinz is still making it?

    Try a Wegman's . They stock a lot of stuff.