Heinz ketchup news

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by stan, Mar 15, 2004.

  1. stan

    stan Guest

    Diabetics and those who prefer a low carb diet might be
    interested to know that Heinz is now selling a new variety
    of ketchup called One Carb. Regular Heinz ketchup contains 4
    grams of carbs, but One Carb has only one gram of carbs per
    serving as a result of reduced sugar in the recipe.

    I bought a bottle at Acme tonight and I tried it with a
    cheap chuck steak for dinner. Not bad. The flavor of this
    new One Carb is slightly more tart than regular Heinz
    ketchup, but it is still quite flavorful.

    Those of you who avoid Heinz ketchup due to the high
    carb content might want to try a bottle of the new One
    Carb variety.

    Tags:

  2. <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Diabetics and those who prefer a low carb diet might be
    > interested to know that Heinz is now selling a new variety
    > of ketchup called One Carb. Regular Heinz ketchup contains
    > 4 grams of carbs, but One Carb has only one gram of carbs
    > per serving as a result of reduced sugar in the recipe.
    >
    > I bought a bottle at Acme tonight and I tried it with a
    > cheap chuck steak for dinner. Not bad. The flavor of this
    > new One Carb is slightly more tart than regular Heinz
    > ketchup, but it is still quite flavorful.
    >
    > Those of you who avoid Heinz ketchup due to the high carb
    > content might want to try a bottle of the new One Carb
    > variety.

    What a crock of horseshit. Now we have to have
    57893784392479823742930 kinds of ketchup at the grocery
    store. No wonder it takes hours to get the shopping
    done nowadays.

  3. Pennyaline

    Pennyaline Guest

    "projectile vomit chick" wrote
    > What a crock of horseshit. Now we have to have
    > 57893784392479823742930 kinds of ketchup at the grocery
    > store. No wonder it takes hours to get
    the
    > shopping done nowadays.

    Oh WHO cares about how many kinds of ketchup there are?!?
    Don't you have anything better to think about, like what
    color it is?

    <and is the bottle upside down?

  4. John Gaughan

    John Gaughan Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Those of you who avoid Heinz ketchup due to the high carb
    > content might want to try a bottle of the new One Carb
    > variety.

    While I do not think the carb content of Heinz is excessive,
    I think I will try this anyway. I do not like sweet foods,
    and although Heinz is not exactly sweet, I think I might
    like the change.

    --
    John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/
    [email protected]

  5. "Pennyaline" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:D[email protected]...
    > "projectile vomit chick" wrote
    > > What a crock of horseshit. Now we have to have
    > > 57893784392479823742930 kinds of ketchup at the grocery
    > > store. No wonder it takes hours to get
    > the
    > > shopping done nowadays.
    >
    > Oh WHO cares about how many kinds of ketchup there are?!?
    > Don't you have anything better to think about, like what
    > color it is?
    >
    > <and is the bottle upside down?>

    LOL!

  6. <Rj>

    <Rj> Guest

    I can't give up on catsup..... even on Atkins.

    I "cut" my catsup 50-50 with tomatoe sauce, then added
    several shots of hot-sauce to brighten.

    Cuts the carb count, and ( personally ) improves the flavor.

    On 16 Mar 2004 01:27:20 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

    >Diabetics and those who prefer a low carb diet might be
    >interested to know that Heinz is now selling a new variety
    >of ketchup called One Carb. Regular Heinz ketchup contains
    >4 grams of carbs, but One Carb has only one gram of carbs
    >per serving as a result of reduced sugar in the recipe.
    >
    >I bought a bottle at Acme tonight and I tried it with a
    >cheap chuck steak for dinner. Not bad. The flavor of this
    >new One Carb is slightly more tart than regular Heinz
    >ketchup, but it is still quite flavorful.
    >
    >Those of you who avoid Heinz ketchup due to the high
    >carb content might want to try a bottle of the new One
    >Carb variety.

    <rj

  7. Scott

    Scott Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:

    > Diabetics and those who prefer a low carb diet might be
    > interested to know that Heinz is now selling a new variety
    > of ketchup called One Carb. Regular Heinz ketchup contains
    > 4 grams of carbs, but One Carb has only one gram of carbs
    > per serving as a result of reduced sugar in the recipe.

    Is that the total number of carbs in the nutrition facts?
    Products are now toting "net carbs," subtracting fiber and
    other less-easily metabolized carbohydrates, so they can
    claim product X has 3 grams when, by the traditional measure
    (still used in total carbs in the Nutritional Information
    label) indicates it has 6.

    please mail OT responses only

  8. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On 16 Mar 2004 01:27:20 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

    >Those of you who avoid Heinz ketchup due to the high
    >carb content might want to try a bottle of the new One
    >Carb variety.

    Perfect for french fries! Err, well. Come to think of it,
    what do you use ketchup on that doesn't already have a fair
    amount of carbs? Hot Dogs, Hamburgers (I guess you could
    make them breadless - but then they don't require ketchup as
    much) French Fries, etc...

    -sw

    -sw

  9. stan

    stan Guest

    Scott <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Is that the total number of carbs in the nutrition facts?
    > Products are now toting "net carbs," subtracting fiber and
    > other less-easily metabolized carbohydrates, so they can
    > claim product X has 3 grams when, by the traditional
    > measure (still used in total carbs in the Nutritional
    > Information label) indicates it has 6.

    That's a good question.

  10. "projectile vomit chick" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:6Et5c.23374$%[email protected]...

    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Diabetics and those who prefer a low carb diet might be
    > > interested to know that Heinz is now selling a new
    > > variety of ketchup called One Carb. Regular Heinz
    > > ketchup contains 4 grams of carbs, but One Carb has only
    > > one gram of carbs per serving as a result of reduced
    > > sugar in the
    recipe.

    > > I bought a bottle at Acme tonight and I tried it with a
    > > cheap chuck
    steak
    > > for dinner. Not bad. The flavor of this new One Carb is
    > > slightly more
    tart
    > > than regular Heinz ketchup, but it is still quite
    > > flavorful.
    > >
    > > Those of you who avoid Heinz ketchup due to the high
    > > carb content might want to try a bottle of the new One
    > > Carb variety.
    > >

    > What a crock of horseshit. Now we have to have
    > 57893784392479823742930 kinds of ketchup at the grocery
    > store. No wonder it takes hours to get
    the
    > shopping done nowadays.

    LOL, stay outta the condiment aisle and you'll breeze
    right through.

    Jack HeinzFrenchsCains

  11. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    >" RJ " <baranick> writes:
    >
    >I can't give up on catsup..... even on Atkins.
    >
    >I "cut" my catsup 50-50 with tomatoe sauce, then added
    >several shots of hot-sauce to brighten.
    >
    >Cuts the carb count, and ( personally ) improves the
    >flavor.

    What causes you to believe that tomato sauce (and it's
    tomato, not "tomatoe") contains significantly fewer carb
    calories than ketchup? Unless you're consuming ketchup by
    the Kilostan there aren't enough carb calories to matter...
    and if you're really concerned perhaps you should switch to
    Salsa. I switched from ketchup to salsa about 2 years ago,
    not to eliminate carbs, but because salsa tastes better, has
    better texture too. Now I much prefer salsa on anything that
    would othewise be served with ketchup, especilly better on
    burgers and with fries. During summer I prepare my own salsa
    from ingredients fresh from my garden... by holding the salt
    down and not adding any sugar it's as healthful as eating a
    salad... once you become salsafied you'll never go back to
    that heinz tomato syrup.

    ---= BOYCOTT FRENCH--GERMAN (belgium) =--- ---= Move UNITED
    NATIONS To Paris =--- Sheldon ```````````` "Life would be
    devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."

  12. x-no-archive: yes

    Steve Wertz wrote:

    >Perfect for french fries! Err, well. Come to think of it,
    >what do you use ketchup on that doesn't already have a fair
    >amount of carbs? Hot Dogs, Hamburgers (I guess you could
    >make them breadless - but then they don't require ketchup
    >as much) French Fries, etc...
    >
    >-sw

    People who do Atkins very often eat all those sandwich-type
    things-- burgers, lunch meats, whatever-- without the
    bread. Naomi D.

  13. T E

    T E Guest

    [email protected] (<RJ>) Wrote: I can't give up on
    catsup..... even on Atkins. I "cut" my catsup 50-50 with
    tomatoe sauce, then added several shots of hot-sauce to
    brighten. Cuts the carb count, and ( personally ) improves
    the flavor. On 16 Mar 2004 01:27:20 GMT, [email protected]
    wrote: Diabetics and those who prefer a low carb diet might
    be interested to know that Heinz is now selling a new
    variety of ketchup called One Carb. Regular Heinz ketchup
    contains 4 grams of carbs, but One Carb has only one gram of
    carbs per serving as a result of reduced sugar in the
    recipe. I bought a bottle at Acme tonight and I tried it
    with a cheap chuck steak for dinner. Not bad. The flavor of
    this new One Carb is slightly more tart than regular Heinz
    ketchup, but it is still quite flavorful. Those of you who
    avoid Heinz ketchup due to the high carb content might want
    to try a bottle of the new One Carb variety. <rj>
    ---
    RJ if you are interested in a diabetic sugar free ketchup
    using Splenda and also thick like Heinz's e-mail me.

  14. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On 16 Mar 2004 19:49:04 GMT, [email protected] (Naomi Darvell)
    wrote:

    >x-no-archive: yes
    >
    >Steve Wertz wrote:
    >

    >>Perfect for french fries! Err, well. Come to think of it,
    >>what do you use ketchup on that doesn't already have a
    >>fair amount of carbs? Hot Dogs, Hamburgers (I guess you
    >>could make them breadless - but then they don't require
    >>ketchup as much) French Fries, etc...
    >>
    >People who do Atkins very often eat all those sandwich-type
    >things-- burgers, lunch meats, whatever-- without the
    >bread. Naomi D.

    I know, I do it. But like I said, I don't think the ketchup
    is as necessary without the bread.

    -sw

  15. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On 16 Mar 2004 20:26:46 GMT, [email protected] (Naomi Darvell)
    wrote:

    >Yeah, but lots of people do seem to put ketchup on
    >breadless things. Steaks; scrambled eggs, even.

    Morons, all of them.

    :)

    -sw

  16. John Gaughan

    John Gaughan Guest

    Steve Wertz wrote:
    >> Yeah, but lots of people do seem to put ketchup on
    >> breadless things. Steaks; scrambled eggs, even.
    >
    > Morons, all of them.

    My wife puts ketchup on steak. That is vile. I use A1, and
    she thinks that is vile. Obviously, she is wrong :)

    --
    John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/
    [email protected]

  17. Modom

    Modom Guest

    On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 14:36:21 -0600, Steve Wertz
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 16 Mar 2004 20:26:46 GMT, [email protected] (Naomi
    >Darvell) wrote:
    >
    >>Yeah, but lots of people do seem to put ketchup on
    >>breadless things. Steaks; scrambled eggs, even.
    >
    >Morons, all of them.
    >
    >:)
    >
    >-sw

    Yer talkin' about Stan here, buddy. Check the OP:

    "I bought a bottle at Acme tonight and I tried it with a
    cheap chuck steak for dinner. Not bad. The flavor of this
    new One Carb is slightly more tart than regular Heinz
    ketchup, but it is still quite flavorful."

    It was a cheap steak, but...

    modom

  18. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 17:00:17 -0600, modom <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Yer talkin' about Stan here, buddy.

    Yeah - I saw that but refrained from commenting on it until
    two people mentioned it.

    Isn't Stan a *major* Heniz shareholder as well??!? ;-)

    -sw

  19. Lindsey

    Lindsey Guest

    John Gaughan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Steve Wertz wrote:
    > >> Yeah, but lots of people do seem to put ketchup on
    > >> breadless things. Steaks; scrambled eggs, even.
    > >
    > > Morons, all of them.
    >
    > My wife puts ketchup on steak. That is vile. I use A1, and
    > she thinks that is vile. Obviously, she is wrong :)

    Currently I am studying in Australia, upon my arrival I
    discovered that Australia and Canada are very similar,
    except when it comes to Ketchup!!!! They refer to Ketchup at
    'Tomato Sauce' and it does not taste the same. I had to go
    hunting to find Heinz in Australia, I did, but it really
    does not taste the same as home. Just thought I would put
    this out here!

  20. Modom

    Modom Guest

    On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 17:54:54 -0600, Steve Wertz
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 17:00:17 -0600, modom
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Yer talkin' about Stan here, buddy.
    >
    >Yeah - I saw that but refrained from commenting on it until
    >two people mentioned it.
    >
    >Isn't Stan a *major* Heniz shareholder as well??!? ;-)

    Doubtless, but the rumors about an affair with Teresa Heinz
    Kerry should be taken with a grain of salt.

    modom