Heinze Stucke. The Ultimate Cycletourist?

iarocu

Guest
http://www.bikechina.com/heinzstucke3z.html

Heinz Stuckes story of travelling the world by bike pretty much
non-stop since 1962. Worth a look.
The sentence that jumped out from the page though was nothing to do
with cycling.
"In Sudan although it is little publicised, there is probably as much
apartheid and often more hate between the Arabs in the North and the
Blacks in the South than there is in South Africa"
Iain

"iarocu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://www.bikechina.com/heinzstucke3z.html
>
> Heinz Stuckes story of travelling the world by bike pretty much
> non-stop since 1962. Worth a look.
> The sentence that jumped out from the page though was nothing to do
> with cycling.
> "In Sudan although it is little publicised, there is probably as much
> apartheid and often more hate between the Arabs in the North and the
> Blacks in the South than there is in South Africa"
> Iain

SKimmed through some of the story.....

Inspiring, quite inspiring......... In one sense a total waste of a life,
in another the ultimate celebration of life.......

If only it were possible to somehow 'download' the enormity of the man's
experiences....

What a guy!

I have somewhere a photo of this chap and his bike which I took in Dublin
around 1977-79. I know the date because I lived in Dublin during those
years. I had a chat with him at the time. The bike he was using was covered
with the names of the places he'd been.

I remember reading his book of his touring accounts many years ago. I think
the thing that is still in my mind is that after (I don't know how many
years - but lots) his girlfriend was still waiting and they got married! Not
many like her about!