Heinze Stucke. The Ultimate Cycletourist?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by iarocu, Jul 23, 2004.

  1. iarocu

    iarocu Guest

    http://www.bikechina.com/heinzstucke3z.html

    Heinz Stuckes story of travelling the world by bike pretty much
    non-stop since 1962. Worth a look.
    The sentence that jumped out from the page though was nothing to do
    with cycling.
    "In Sudan although it is little publicised, there is probably as much
    apartheid and often more hate between the Arabs in the North and the
    Blacks in the South than there is in South Africa"
    Iain

    Tags:

  2. LaoFuZhi

    LaoFuZhi Guest

    "iarocu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > http://www.bikechina.com/heinzstucke3z.html
    >
    > Heinz Stuckes story of travelling the world by bike pretty much
    > non-stop since 1962. Worth a look.
    > The sentence that jumped out from the page though was nothing to do
    > with cycling.
    > "In Sudan although it is little publicised, there is probably as much
    > apartheid and often more hate between the Arabs in the North and the
    > Blacks in the South than there is in South Africa"
    > Iain

    SKimmed through some of the story.....

    Inspiring, quite inspiring......... In one sense a total waste of a life,
    in another the ultimate celebration of life.......

    If only it were possible to somehow 'download' the enormity of the man's
    experiences....

    What a guy!

  3. I have somewhere a photo of this chap and his bike which I took in Dublin
    around 1977-79. I know the date because I lived in Dublin during those
    years. I had a chat with him at the time. The bike he was using was covered
    with the names of the places he'd been.

  4. nobody760

    nobody760 Guest

    I remember reading his book of his touring accounts many years ago. I think
    the thing that is still in my mind is that after (I don't know how many
    years - but lots) his girlfriend was still waiting and they got married! Not
    many like her about!