Heinzmann electric assist?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Graham Peasey, Feb 23, 2003.

  1. I was surfing the net and came across this site: http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/electric_bikes.html
    Has anyone ever seen or used one of these? I was intrigued by this as it seems very efficient and if
    there are no extra laws regarding the use of these, and if it allows you to keep a faster pace
    (closer to the pace of traffic) the safer you are.. Assuming that you have got really good brakes!!

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Graham Peasey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I was surfing the net and came across this site:
    > http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/electric_bikes.html Has anyone ever seen or used one of these? I
    > was intrigued by this as it seems very efficient and if there are no extra laws regarding the use
    > of these, and if it allows you to keep a faster pace (closer to the pace of traffic) the safer you
    > are.. Assuming that you have got really good brakes!!

    The Heinzmann hub-motor unit is supplied in a mobility vehicle we sell :
    http://www.yellowjersey.org/duet.html and it works great. In this application, a rider climbing even
    a small rise with over 200lbs, plus his/her own weight, is greatly assisted with an electric motor.

    I also have some experience with less expensive (E.T.C.) electric-assist bicycles. These, with a low
    step-through frame are ideal for someone of limited motion and power, who is otherwise unable to
    ride a bicycle. We like these a lot more than the solution fifteen or twenty years ago of a
    gasoline-powered engine ( And I've put those on bikes, too, for similar reasons).

    I wonder, though, for a person of normal ability, why?

    Bicycles are so darned efficient, it's hard to beat a 20-30 pound bike for fun. And if you'd rather
    have power, a similarly priced moped has gobs of power.

    To your question about regulation, most ordinances apply only when you are over 20mph or above 50cc
    if internal combustion. These units usually fall below those threshholds. You'll need to check your
    local ordinance to be sure .

  3. Bluto

    Bluto Guest

    "Graham Peasey" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I was surfing the net and came across this site:
    > http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/electric_bikes.html Has anyone ever seen or used one of these? I
    > was intrigued by this as it seems very efficient and if there are no extra laws regarding the use
    > of these, and if it allows you to keep a faster pace (closer to the pace of traffic) the safer you
    > are.. Assuming that you have got really good brakes!!

    Heinzmann kits are the best electric retrofit available for pedal bikes. They add something over 20
    lbs. to the bike, so the assist is not "free".

    There's a different philosophy at work than with pedal bikes or gas mopeds-- because you really
    don't have to work that hard to make speed on an electric bike, but you can't just be along for the
    ride, either, at least where there are significant hills-- you'll have to pitch in. Plus, the range
    is less than what you could expect from either a pedal-only bike or a fillup on a moped, only about
    20 miles on a good day, on a good electric bike.

    I suggest you check out http://www.electricbikes.bigstep.com/ for good information about choosing
    and living with an electic-assist bike. For comprehensive technical specs including engineering
    drawings for the Heinzmann hubmotor kits, check http://estelle.de/e/index.htm .

    There is a roughly 1100W high-power version of the Heinzmann kit that is available now, though it is
    not listed on the Estelle site. The guys at Electric Bikes Northwest can tell you about it. That
    one, with about 1.5 hp, might be able to scoot you along without your assistance.

    Chalo Colina