Heirloom meat grinders [Was: Pea Soup Recipe]

Phred

[email protected] (PENMART01) wrote:
[...]
>I don't own a slow cooker... I'm sure they're fine... but they don't work for
>me. I'm a taster and adder... I don't mind fussing with my cooking, actually
>for me unless I fuss with a pot continously all day it ain't really cooking. I
>don't look for short cuts, in fact I tend to find ways that make the cooking
>experience last longer. I made meat loaf for dinner tonight... took about six
>hours... first I grind the meat...

Interesting. Do you use one of those old style meat grinders that
attach to a bench top and the chunks go into a hopper at one end and
are auger fed to a perforated plate and cutter at the other?

They were in all domestic kitchens around here 50 years ago, but I
haven't seen one in kitchenware shops for a long time now.
These days people seem perfectly happy to buy their beef pre-ground
from the butcher or, more likely, the supermarket. There are three
common grades of it here: very bloody fatty, damn fatty, and fatty.

>I keep a full compliment of soup staples, from all kinds of dried beans to
>every shape of small pasta imaginable.

Cheers, Phred.

--
[email protected]LID