Hell Hath No Fury Like a Wronged Cyclist

Lt J.A. Moss

Feb 21, 2004
Cyclist slashed 1,700 tyres 'of rude motorists'
By Richard Savill
(Filed: 25/03/2004)

A cyclist who resented the "inconsiderate manner" of motorists took revenge by puncturing more than 1,700 car tyres in a 10-day period, a court was told.

Ashley Carpenter, 37, who has never passed a driving test, told police his campaign of vandalism began after a car nearly knocked him off his bike and another drove through a puddle and drenched him.

The court heard that he was the most prolific criminal of his kind and he caused an estimated £250,000 worth of damage.

Armed with a sharpened screwdriver, Carpenter left his home on his bike during the hours of darkness and randomly slashed the tyres of nearly 600 cars parked in the Dorset towns of Bournemouth and Christchurch.

Yesterday at Bournemouth magistrates' court, Carpenter, who is unemployed, admitted eight charges of criminal damage and asked for 540 similar offences to be taken into consideration. Sentencing was adjourned and he was warned that he faced a jail term.

The court heard that at least 1,728 tyres were damaged. Some of Carpenter's victims drove many miles unaware that their tyres were slowly deflating.

On more than one occasion he damaged several cars belonging to the same family and returned sometimes to puncture tyres that he had already holed.

Police said it was a "miracle" that no one was hurt or injured during the campaign between Dec 12 and 22 last year.

Julia Woodward, prosecuting, said: "On some cars all four tyres were damaged.

"He struck on roads, in private car parks, in public car parks and in people's driveways. This scale of offending was unprecedented and caused immense distress because the tyres deflated very slowly.

"One victim drove from Bournemouth to Portsmouth for a meeting and it was only when he left that he discovered all his tyres were flat.

"After studying CCTV footage, police released pictures to the press and Carpenter was quickly arrested. As he was arrested, he was seen trying to dispose of a small, sharpened screwdriver.

"Forensic tests later linked the screwdriver to the tyres that were punctured and fragments of tyre rubber were found in his pocket."

The court heard that in interviews with police, Carpenter complained that motorists drove too quickly and dangerously. He said he wanted to send out a message to drivers.

Det Sgt Mark Monaghan, who led the investigation, said: "We have contacted other forces and the National Crime Faculty and there has never been this type of offending on this scale and size.

"It was a miracle that nobody was hurt or killed if you consider the number of people driving cars with deflated tyres.

"It was a difficult investigation. We viewed over 500 hours of CCTV footage and launched extra patrols in the areas where the crimes were happening."

© Copyright of Telegraph Group Limited 2004. Terms & Conditions of reading.
Commercial information.

:eek:

Reactions: haleylx4
"One victim drove from Bournemouth to Portsmouth for a meeting and it was only when he left that he discovered all his tyres were flat."

I would call that driving without due care and attention.
1) You feel it through the wheel,
2) You should do at least a visual check that your car is in road-worthy condition before getting in it.

Few drivers appear to do the latter, and by and large this casual disregard of safety for themselves and others is reflected in their driving.

While there probably isn't one of us who hasn't felt some similar sense of outrage at a driver's homicidal--or worse: negligent--behavior, it goes without saying that this person did little more than:
1) needlessly endanger the lives of people who may not have had anything to do with the assaults on this or other cyclists;
2) potentially fuel anger toward cyclists in some
3) make a few tire/tyre dealers pret-ty happy and a few insurers pret-ty unhappy!

I've been hit twice in the last year. Nothing more than scrapes, bumps, bruises, and scuffed QR's/brifters, but...knocked down is knocked down. Each time, I arose and felt my pulse racing, adrenaline coursing, and what must be some primordial urge to kill. Fortunately, both times, it seemed to me that the drivers of the car felt far, far worse than I did.

Figuring that anything I did to make myself feel better _for the moment_ would diminish the sense of guilt they _might_ carry and the slight chance that they would be more cyclist-aware, I composed myself, made sure I was okay, asked them to be more careful, and split.

But I keep thinking...what about a paintball gun? Huh?? Pellets filled with watercolors. Mark 'em, like in _The Scarlet Letter_. No permanent damage, but just _brand_ those d-bags so that the rest of you know what you're dealing with ;)

If he really wanted to make such a statement, he could have just lit the tires on fire. Then people would have really noticed... ohwell. Better luck next time.

- n -

Can't say I haven't wanted to inflict the same type of damage at times, but I echo the sentament that all he did was lodge another spike (no pun intended) between motorists and cyclists.

Originally posted by Lt J.A. Moss
Cyclist slashed 1,700 tyres 'of rude motorists'
By Richard Savill
(Filed: 25/03/2004)

A cyclist who resented the "inconsiderate manner" of motorists took revenge by puncturing more than 1,700 car tyres in a 10-day period, a court was told.

Ashley Carpenter, 37, who has never passed a driving test, told police his campaign of vandalism began after a car nearly knocked him off his bike and another drove through a puddle and drenched him.

The court heard that he was the most prolific criminal of his kind and he caused an estimated £250,000 worth of damage.

Armed with a sharpened screwdriver, Carpenter left his home on his bike during the hours of darkness and randomly slashed the tyres of nearly 600 cars parked in the Dorset towns of Bournemouth and Christchurch.

Yesterday at Bournemouth magistrates' court, Carpenter, who is unemployed, admitted eight charges of criminal damage and asked for 540 similar offences to be taken into consideration. Sentencing was adjourned and he was warned that he faced a jail term.

The court heard that at least 1,728 tyres were damaged. Some of Carpenter's victims drove many miles unaware that their tyres were slowly deflating.

On more than one occasion he damaged several cars belonging to the same family and returned sometimes to puncture tyres that he had already holed.

Police said it was a "miracle" that no one was hurt or injured during the campaign between Dec 12 and 22 last year.

Julia Woodward, prosecuting, said: "On some cars all four tyres were damaged.

"He struck on roads, in private car parks, in public car parks and in people's driveways. This scale of offending was unprecedented and caused immense distress because the tyres deflated very slowly.

"One victim drove from Bournemouth to Portsmouth for a meeting and it was only when he left that he discovered all his tyres were flat.

"After studying CCTV footage, police released pictures to the press and Carpenter was quickly arrested. As he was arrested, he was seen trying to dispose of a small, sharpened screwdriver.

"Forensic tests later linked the screwdriver to the tyres that were punctured and fragments of tyre rubber were found in his pocket."

The court heard that in interviews with police, Carpenter complained that motorists drove too quickly and dangerously. He said he wanted to send out a message to drivers.

Det Sgt Mark Monaghan, who led the investigation, said: "We have contacted other forces and the National Crime Faculty and there has never been this type of offending on this scale and size.

"It was a miracle that nobody was hurt or killed if you consider the number of people driving cars with deflated tyres.

"It was a difficult investigation. We viewed over 500 hours of CCTV footage and launched extra patrols in the areas where the crimes were happening."

© Copyright of Telegraph Group Limited 2004. Terms & Conditions of reading.
Commercial information.

:eek:

Moss, Are you in Division?

this guy is an absolute legend!!

information noted....ideas forming....

Vengeful cyclist who slashed nearly 2,000 tyres is jailed
By Lesley Richardson
17 April 2004

A cyclist who slashed almost 2,000 car tyres in a 10-day spate of revenge attacks on "inconsiderate motorists" was jailed for 16 months yesterday. Ashley Carpenter, 37, targeted the tyres of 548 cars, lorries and vans parked in Christchurch and Bournemouth, causing damage worth £250,000.

He launched his one-man campaign after a car nearly knocked him off his bike and another drenched him by driving through a puddle, Bourne-mouth Crown Court heard.

Carpenter, of Walpole Road, Boscombe, in Dorset, left his home on his bicycle at night in December, 2003, armed with a sharpened screwdriver and randomly punctured 1,728 tyres as a warning to drivers.

Recorder Stephen Lennard said the five weeks Carpenter had already spent in jail would be taken into account so he would serve half the sentence and be released on licence.

Mr Lennard said the damage had cost £97,000 in tyre repairs alone, not taking into account hotel bills and alternative methods of transport needed by the victims of the crimes.

Carpenter, who is unemployed, had admitted eight charges of criminal damage asked for 540 other offences, to 497 vehicles in Bournemouth and 43 vehicles in Christchurch, to be taken into consideration.

He was arrested in January after police analysed footage from CCTV and found a sharpened screwdriver in his flat.

Robert Grey, defending, had described Carpenter as "very much a loner" and "socially inadequate". He said Carpenter lived alone, had no children, no relationship and no close friends. "He had not been able to discuss his frustration with others. He perceived a number of incidents of inconsiderate driving by motorists towards him. He says that twice he was nearly knocked off his bike by motorists and on another occasion he was subjected to verbal abuse by passing drivers.

"Things built up and came to a head when he lost control."

Rebecca Reef, a spokeswoman for the AA, said outside court that pedestrians have legal protection against inconsiderate drivers and did not need to resort to criminal damage to "get even". She added: "Had Mr Carpenter gone to the police after he was splashed, the driver could have been fined £2,500 and received up to nine penalty points for driving without due care and attention.

"If a driver ignores a cyclist and causes them to fall off or be injured, if they drive in a manner which causes that, they can get a £5,000 fine and five to 10 points on their licence."

The pedestrian or cyclist would need witnesses or CCTV footage to back the claim, she said. Vehicle owners were also obliged to declare who was driving at the time of any alleged incident. "This serves as a helping hand to cyclists and as a warning to drivers who think it's a laugh to go through puddles that they are actually risking a fine."

A Crown Prosecution Service spokesman said: "We all work and live in the community and we shared the feelings of worry and concern as more cars were damaged night after night."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

© 2004 Independent Digital (UK) Ltd

I'm not into revenge and this guy took it far. Lol that is crazy. Maybe he had a little resentment because he didn't get his drivers license. Kind of forcing someone to ride a bike for transportation yeah that might make someone resentful. I don't know I love it so I would just accept it. You know see that's the thing if you never drove a car you might not realize how messed up drivers can get in the head. Traffic, slow drivers, people who can't drive, or whatever. It can make you angry and do dumb things.
I don't know this guy could have ended up dead the way these cars were messing with him. Seems like he went after innocent people though just to convey a message.